Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four Week Online Prog Rock Discussion Course

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four Week Online Prog Rock Discussion Course
    Posted: April 02 2021 at 11:19
Hi all; it's been some time since I've been active on these boards, but I just wanted to drop in to let y'all know about a new Progressive Rock class I'm offering this Spring that may be of interest.  This isn't a "intro to prog" course; it's a discussion-based deep dive into various corners of the genre that is designed to appeal to both prog fans and general music lovers.  Artists we will discuss include Bec Plexus, Genesis, Rush, and Victory Over the Sun. 

The class is offered online through Oklahoma Contemporary, takes place on Sundays from May 23 to June 13, and is only $65.  Registration closes on May 9.

Full course description (and a link to register) is here: 

https://oklahomacontemporary.org/learn/studio-school/performance

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - April 05 2021 at 17:34
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 13:15
Is there some sort of certificate for completing the course?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 19:17
Well, in any case, I SIGNED UP!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 19:28
Promises to be an interesting course given that two of the artists cited aren't even listed on this archive Shocked
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 19:51
If we join the discussion are we required to speak in excess of 15 minutes at a time while modulating the tempo and cadence of our voices, and wear capes or codpieces?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 21:02
LOL
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 23:23
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Is there some sort of certificate for completing the course?

I don't believe so; it's a discussion-based community course, not an academic program.  Glad to hear your interest!

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

If we join the discussion are we required to speak in excess of 15 minutes at a time while modulating the tempo and cadence of our voices, and wear capes or codpieces?

Yes.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 17:35
Update: the deadline to register for the course has been extended to May 9.  OP edited to reflect the new info.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 20:05
Is each section of the course just one night? Or is it every night of the week?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 12:27
Interesting that this class is hosted in Oklahoma! 

I lived in Tulsa, OK for several years in the late 1980s to early 1990s, and while the state & city are not known as being particularly "progressive," I was very active as bassist in their nascent underground music scene.  I played bass for Lon Jones, one of Bob Fripp's first Guitar Craft students, and his band "CAVU" always received excellent crowd response. 

Prog concerts I saw in Tulsa included Moody Blues, Michael Hedges, Al Dimeola, Chick Corea, Patrick Metheny, and Adrian Belew.  They were always met by enthusiastic audiences and packed houses!!  I missed concerts by Fripp & his Crafty Guitarists and a few others.  

I won't have the time nor finances for this course, but you can bet that this will be taught by some real fans of the genre. 

Edited by cstack3 - April 06 2021 at 12:28
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 16:39
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Is each section of the course just one night? Or is it every night of the week?

Hey Awesoreno, sorry for responding to you so late; life's been crazy!  The class meets on weekly on Sundays from May 23 to June 13.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 03:18
Awesome. I already signed up, so I'll be there!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 19:27
Hi y'all, just popping in to note that registration for the class closes on Sunday, May 9!  If you are interested, now is your chance to sign up.  We will be exploring the music of classic prog artists like Rush and Genesis along with obscure gems like Victory Over the Sun.  Homegrown PA band Hanashukketsu might even make an appearance!  For a preview of the kind of weird sh*t we will be listening to, check out this new record on Bandcamp:

https://votsband.bandcamp.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply