Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Successful prog-sharing stories

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Successful prog-sharing stories
    Posted: April 03 2021 at 04:30
I like to think we all have shared about progressive rock with people who maybe hadn't yet learned about it. Of course we can't expect everyone to like it, since tastes are subjective. But does anyone have successful prog-sharing stories they'd like to share?

I just had one happen now, which is the inspiration for making this thread. I work as a part-time lecturer teaching Musicianship classes at a university. I included several prog songs in my course listening guides so my students could hear examples of advanced and diverse rhythms and harmonies.

I recently gave my students an extra credit assignment where they could find any piece of music they would like and provide an analysis similar to the ones I provided in my listening guides. One of my students just emailed me her assignment. She chose Starless by King Crimson, totally on her own. I hadn't put it in my listening guides yet because I was saving the best for the last class. That's without a doubt the best moment of my career up to this point

Edited by Neo-Romantic - April 03 2021 at 04:31
May God bless you all in Jesus' name. No matter who you are, you're special, you're loved, and you matter.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 07:58
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

I like to think we all have shared about progressive rock with people who maybe hadn't yet learned about it. Of course we can't expect everyone to like it, since tastes are subjective. But does anyone have successful prog-sharing stories they'd like to share?

I just had one happen now, which is the inspiration for making this thread. I work as a part-time lecturer teaching Musicianship classes at a university. I included several prog songs in my course listening guides so my students could hear examples of advanced and diverse rhythms and harmonies.

I recently gave my students an extra credit assignment where they could find any piece of music they would like and provide an analysis similar to the ones I provided in my listening guides. One of my students just emailed me her assignment. She chose Starless by King Crimson, totally on her own. I hadn't put it in my listening guides yet because I was saving the best for the last class. That's without a doubt the best moment of my career up to this point

That's a nice success story, well done!  I wish I had one to share but I really can't recall one in recent years as most people, family and friends have different taste to me and prefer I don't play mine aloud :)  Yet weirdly my partner is all over Rammstein after I had played it to her a few years ago thinking I would freak her out.  She now has all the Rammstein and similar sounding bands in her car and listens to them on the way to work.  She states they get her mentally ready for work.  Oh yes, T'Rex is another she listens to all the time as well after I played them to her.  Could never get her to bite on other Prog Bands though :(

Oh by the way I think neither of these were a result of me though.  I know she watched the Van Diesel movie and could when she saw it associate with Rammstein.  Same with T'Rex as she heard a T'Rex in Lip Synch battle :(

Nick

Edited by Spaciousmind - April 03 2021 at 08:03
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 08:13
Thanks! And thank you for sharing as well

That's okay, you playing it again after she heard it somewhere else still counts!
May God bless you all in Jesus' name. No matter who you are, you're special, you're loved, and you matter.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 08:42
There have been many moments of sharing.  Its what motivated me to become a DJ. Once I became a Prog fanatic, and realized most people never heard or knew about most of the music, I thought I should try to expose it more (like its a big undiscovered gold mine!).

An experience that was one of the best was introducing Rush to a 20something guy who had never heard it. He really liked Moving Pictures, but was totally enraptured by Power Windows. We drove with it blasting on the stereo, & he didn't want to talk because he was so into the music.  I didn't quite understand the preference over MP, but to each his/own! 

Edited by zwordser - April 03 2021 at 10:46
Z
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 12:17
I have no great stories, but I'm glad that I've made not one but two friends fans of Egg. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 13:20
I can't think of that many. Over the years I have tried to turn several people on to prog including my brother. I've had little success over all though. 

I had a friend a long time ago who I believe I turned on to Yes. He was already somewhat familiar with them but I think he got more into them after I told him about them and prog rock in general. He liked the free form attitude of prog and liked the idea of longer songs. I think he even bought tales from topographic oceans(or at least borrowed it from the library).

At one point around late 1994 I worked briefly in a music department of a store that also had video and book sections. One of the guy's who worked there bought an Ozric Tentacles cd(I believe Strangeitude)based on my recommendation of the band. To my surprise he said he liked it. I have no idea if he became a prog fan after that or not. My guess would be probably not but it's a start. 

In my experience most people typically don't want to be bothered with stuff they aren't already familiar with though. More prog for us I guess. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 07 2021 at 13:10
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 11:33
I had a classmate many years ago who I felt something of an affinity before, but it was not reciprocated. Until we ran into each other at a Yes concert (Union tour). Since then, we became good buddies, and he helped renew my appreciation for prog.

At another time, also many years ago but more recent, my wife and I went to see Al Di Meola. I was working and arrived later than she had. Before I got there, she had begun a conversation with another couple in front of her in line. They became good friends of ours instantly.

So, never say that Prog is only for unsocial introverts. Wink
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 12:36
Hi,

I have some, however they will remain on the paper and pen for a while longer.

I had some wonderful conversations with Daevid Allen, and then later with Gilly. And it was about anything you could think of ... and on that night before the show, Daevid was drawing away for the fans, and donating them to the fans ... he called me a "Professor" ... which I thought was way too generous ... 

Probably one of the best moments for me, was the email sharing with some folks ... way back when I had written to Holger Czukay about his "Movies" album ... which he said he did not care for a lot. I was surprised, and explained to him that I thought the multi media thing was exceptionally well done and mentioned that my roommate was doing similar things on the radio at the station on the Space Pirate Radio ... at the time, we were calling these "mind melts", and they  included everything you can think of, and still being able to hear some of these from shows in 1974 (saved them to mp3 in 1999 and 2000 - over 300 hours that were on 120 sized cassettes), kinda showed that what Guy did was on par with some of the best folks out there.

The other one, was a nice surprise, and we had met at the SF Progressive Festival, and I mentioned how I loved the atmospheric movie music ... and he said that him and one other member did some soundtrack stuff, and kinda used some of those visuals to help create the music. As time went by, they became more of a complete improvisational band, and I thought that the "movie music" was not as clear as it had been before in the earlier days ... he said that things changed every so often, and they could never figure out how to start or end, and I joked about the progressive music scene being so stuck to their chords, and he said ... "...we might start on an A, but we probably will end up on Z". 

Still one of the finest moments.

One last one. When we saw Nektar the first time in the USA, I had a button from my company that said "we're happy you're here!" ... and I wore it ... and when I got the the dressing room, Mo Moore ... hey look ... far out ... and I got to meet all the members of the band ... and they had put on a massively great show and I complimented the light show, and said that I was from theatre and film mostly, but the inspiration was just begging for some film materials ... not quite "meaning stuff", but some free form stuff to augment their massive psychedelic show ... which they went on to do anyway, and they had some film, but had a hard time adding it due to how long it took them to setup what they already had.

Other than that, not much else. I turned down the chance to meet several folks, although at the SF Progressive Music Festival, I got to meet them all and photographed them as well (in my web page). I sent a set of the pics to all the members of Lana Lane and the Rocket Scientists, and did the same for the members of Gong, which I had already done one other set from a series of concerts in Portland and Eugene. Met others, although I was really disappointed that SW told me in no uncertain terms "NO PICTURES" ... and the whole thing might have been that they were already upset that Richard's keyboard (Prophet 5) took a nasty spill in the airport (I think) and they had it spread all over the back for 3 hours trying to fix it with a couple of guys and nothing. Richard spent a couple of hours backstage working a couple of synths to replace the sounds that were lost to a dead keyboard. SW, in his smart ass routine made fun of those guys with the old machines, or something stupid ... but the band put on a fantastic show, despite one roadie being totally upset that they sounded terrible ... and an hour later I was with the producer and I finally had had it with that roadie and told him to leave ... so he did not have to hear anymore ... it sounded great and the producer agreed with me! He tucked his tail and went out for a burger and coke or something like it!

I really do not have a lot of moments ... though having known Guy Guden (Space Pirate Radio) for almost 50 years, has been fantastic and the incredible amount of music that he premiers and shows us all is second to none ... even today (on Twitch) he still has the most incredible ear for the great music and it's beauty that is not stuck to a sound or "style". No one does more music and has more "guests" on his show than he has ever had, and almost all of them have a very significant musical background that we can not imagine.

Hopefully one day, you will be able to hear his one hour with Robin Williamson ... absolutely fantastic, and Guy is no slush ... he knows his history ... and it added to the stories and comments that Robin made ... and my favorite ... "the poet or the artist is not usually aligned with the media" (paraphrased) ... and that pretty much helped him and Mike Heron do their thing with their band ... and both went on to solo albums, and Robin's list is incredible and they are all great. And just when you thought they were dried up in yapping, we had to hear Robin tell a few jokes ... good stuff that you don't see or hear from many "stars" in the music business.

Edited by moshkito - April 04 2021 at 12:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 23:02
These are some great stories so far! Keep 'em coming

@Moshkito these are some really interesting interactions with people actually active in the scene. It's a rare delight to talk with such inspiring musicians. Very cool
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 05:25
Went to a now long-gone but legendary record store near Hollywood called Aron's Records back in the early 2000s and met this guy perusing the prog rock section. In our introduction, he told me he was from Iran and hadn't been in the country that long and was finding his way around. I think he asked me if Gentle Giant was a good band, and I answered with a resounding "Yeah!" He inquired about other bands and said he was a big fan of Camel. That fact sparked a many year friendship with him that lasts to this day. Early on, I started lending him every prog CD I had out of my modest collection, and through the years, it has paid off tenfold. He's burned off many CDs for me of prog bands I had never heard and continues this practice currently. I owe the guy so much, prog-wise, that it ain't even funny.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 06:34
If I had good prog sharing stories, I probably wouldn't be a member here. Every post and discussion I'm involved with here is a prog sharing story, be it positive or negative.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 08:02
I once chatted with a girl on Internet, and she was feeilng very "out there" and asked if I know any music fitting to that state. My answer was firmly yes and I send her King Crimson "Sailor's tale". She was mesmerised :) It was 10 years ago. Since then she has learned to like many bands from me e.g. Pink Floyd ("Ummagumma", "More") most of King Crimson albums, Yes, Renaissance etc. 
Now she is sitting right here beside me and we're a happy couple sharing our love for each other and love for music (not only prog)  :)
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 08:02
I dont have a story of how i got somebody else into it, i can only share how i got into it, and my journey actually took a long slow gradual 7 years.........yeah, 7 years lol.

In the year 2000 i was 24, and i was a big fan of heavy metal.   I use to regularly buy Metal Hammer magazine which came with free promo CD's.   But it one of the issues in 2000, the last song on the disc was a song by neo prog rock band Arena.   I most liked the song, it was the song Chosen off their Immortal album.   But....it wasnt to be until 4 years later i bought an album by them, and that album of course was Immortal.   It reminded me of the song Cry Little Sister from The Lost Boys, all darky but attractive.

At first i only liked the album for the other darky songs on there aswell like Butterfly Man.   But it was 2006 where my next step towards Prog music happend.   In 2006 my best friend really got into Savatage, and introduced me to them.   He really loved the way they fused classical music and opera into metal and i began to like it too.  So in that year i started buying Savatage albums, and of course Savatage were one of the first prog metal bands.

In 2007 Jon Oliva was to headline Progressive Powerfest in Cheltenham, and my friend wanted to attend it.   In the end he changed his mind, but i still went, and im glad i did, as that got me into progressive metal even more.   As other bands were going to play at the festival, i wanted to get to know them more, so i did.   I checked out songs by Dreamscape, Kamelot and Haggard.   The festival gave us all goodybags containing several promo CD's.   There was a song on there by Threshold, and it stood out among all the other bands on the CD.   In 2007 Threshold soon became my number 2 prog metal band (i now own all their studio albums).

Also in 2007 i worked at a petrol station where one of the other members of staff was a 50 year old man that was quite into prog rock, especially Yes.  So of course in that year i started checking out songs by Yes and Pink Floyd.    So 2007 was the year i first became a proper full on prog fan.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 12:18
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

These are some great stories so far! Keep 'em coming

@Moshkito these are some really interesting interactions with people actually active in the scene. It's a rare delight to talk with such inspiring musicians. Very cool

Hi,

Thanks so much ... 

I wish my friend Guy Guden (Space Pirate Radio) would share more of his experiences in conversations and fun with the guests ... it was never really an "interview", but more of a melting of minds, and it made the interactions amazing. 

I've never, really, started something like an interview ... my interactions with Gilly and Daevid were far more about something else than the well known music and what not ... and then going around the store near Halloween and hear Gilly talk about what the Halloween has become, was not only funny, but actually right on. We also came close to doing a poetry thing together, since she was the ultimate "poetess" from the "Beat Generation", of which Daevid would also fit as a member. I was not, and probably am not, as fluent and as experienced she was at that time doing these things (had done them with Tom the Poet who used to show up at many shows in England), and was much faster at it ... but we were able to take a "visual" and fill it in really nice, and I went so far as to introduce her stuff to the various folks at the YGDRASIL JOURNAL OF POETIC ARTS, now the oldest known poetry magazine in the internet (30 years ... oh my gosh!!!) and she used more than one picture I took of the band.

To me, the interactions were about THE PERSON not the musician or the star, and one of the nice ones was Mike Howlett ... who was more akin to discussing something else than the music he played and how ... he said that sometimes it was just difficult to talk about that ... but I was more interested in his ability to "focus" and always be "there" ... and he said ... sometimes it's luck, but others, things are just a flow!

Those things are hard to put in a proper and serious context, and a place like this, they are less appreciative of the "artistic process" (my term) than they are in the hit! I could not careless what Ian thinks of Aqualung, other than how it all came about, but he won't do it, because it means mentioning other names that were also valuable to the whole thing called "Jethro Tull" then ... and for that reason, I thought he would not be an interesting interview ... and his time with Rick Wakeman in that one interview, he really says a lot of things that are not only silly, but bizarre, and I've always thought ... he didn't care anymore ... so why should I? But there was a lot of great stuff in between!

Folks I would like to spend an hour or two with ... Alan Stivell .. .Christian Decamps ... Richard Pinhas (although the periodical EUROCK has a heck of a lot of his philosophy and description of his music and how it felt at the time) ... Klaus Kinski (to discuss his improvisations!!!) ... and one of the big disappointments was Damo Suzuki not wanting to talk about it ... I think he might have felt that a mystique about what he did was more important ... and in the end, his show came off somewhat hollow for my mind and ears.

The one I miss and would like to meet and yapp with would be ... Christopher Franke ... and not how he ended up leaving TD, but how he looked at his work and music, and eventual story ... his being quiet for 30+ years is really sad ... EF in his book does not put him down, jokes about it yeah, but I think he appreciated the difficulty CF had with the equipment not even working on some nights ... and he was able to make do and STILL come up with something. I have a feeling that it meant he had to let go of his truck loads of equipment, and go "digital" which he eventually did and sounded wonderful. But he has not shown anything in so long, that it is sad.

One other person in TD, was Linda Spa, who was probably literally "dumped" from the group once EF passed away, and I think this still hurts her terribly ... she has not shown any music inclination since the last shows with TD (I think the Australian Sorcerer series), and I think that she has just about quit the music thing. I wrote a nice poem for her and sent it, and she thanked me for it, but the rose has not "bloomed" yet, and if it does I will be the first person to talk to her but I really think that 25 years of someone's life is really hard to let go ... to end up with nothing, although I think she may be getting a nickel or two from any album sales ... however I think that even this is probably so small as to be sad ... but I can't say for sure.

Edited by moshkito - April 05 2021 at 12:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jackal3000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jackal3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 22:22
My first son is now 22. I exposed him to a fair amount of prog, although I didn't clobber him over the head with it. I did take him to see The Musical Box perform The Lamb when he was about 7 years old, and have taken him to a handful of other prog concerts in more recent years: a couple of Steve Hackett shows (the first was a free show outdoors in a park in NYC); one Kansas concert; one Todd Rundgren show (kinda proggy), and Rush on their final tour, at MSG. Oh, also to a couple of ProgDay weekends.

Anyway, he has excellent musical taste now, quite different from most of his friends. He still likes prog, and is open to listening to it, but he mostly listens to other things. There's some newer, quirky things that he likes, but a few of his favorite bands/artists are Lou Reed, Donovan, Nick Drake and his ilk, lots of 90s indie bands, Bowie, Eno, and a lot more. In short, he has good taste and is musically adventurous, and although like me he's not a musician, music is a big part of his life. Those things were essentially my wishes for him as far as music goes. He's also about to finish his English major in college, which is what I majored in, and he's read WAY more than I have - he's a voracious reader, and also a huge cinema fan. So while he still has a lot to learn about navigating the world and in some ways my wife and I f*cked up a lot and made some mistakes (as pretty much all parents do), he at least has the kind of cultural life I wanted for him.

He's a nerd, like me! Actually, he's pretty cool, and a very nice, kind person.

Edited by Jackal3000 - April 06 2021 at 22:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 09:56
Originally posted by Jackal3000 Jackal3000 wrote:

My first son is now 22. I exposed him to a fair amount of prog, although I didn't clobber him over the head with it. I did take him to see The Musical Box perform The Lamb when he was about 7 years old, and have taken him to a handful of other prog concerts in more recent years: a couple of Steve Hackett shows (the first was a free show outdoors in a park in NYC); one Kansas concert; one Todd Rundgren show (kinda proggy), and Rush on their final tour, at MSG. Oh, also to a couple of ProgDay weekends.

Anyway, he has excellent musical taste now, quite different from most of his friends. He still likes prog, and is open to listening to it, but he mostly listens to other things. There's some newer, quirky things that he likes, but a few of his favorite bands/artists are Lou Reed, Donovan, Nick Drake and his ilk, lots of 90s indie bands, Bowie, Eno, and a lot more. In short, he has good taste and is musically adventurous, and although like me he's not a musician, music is a big part of his life. Those things were essentially my wishes for him as far as music goes. He's also about to finish his English major in college, which is what I majored in, and he's read WAY more than I have - he's a voracious reader, and also a huge cinema fan. So while he still has a lot to learn about navigating the world and in some ways my wife and I f*cked up a lot and made some mistakes (as pretty much all parents do), he at least has the kind of cultural life I wanted for him.

He's a nerd, like me! Actually, he's pretty cool, and a very nice, kind person.

That's great it's special when you can share something meaningful with your son that had a positive lasting impact.

Edited by Neo-Romantic - April 07 2021 at 09:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 09:56
The beautiful thing about music: you don't have to be a musician for it to be important and meaningful to you.

Edited by Neo-Romantic - April 07 2021 at 09:58
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 13:13
I remember I went to see King Crimson in December of 2001 with a guy I knew(he was also a big prog fan like me). A woman sitting next to us did not know of Porcupine Tree(even that late in the game) so we both recommended that she seek them out. I think she sent me an email a few days later thanking me and saying she liked them. 

If I think of any more stories to share later I will. Usually if I tell someone about a band they are already a fan of something similar. It would be rare to turn them on completely to the prog genre in general unless they were already a fan of at least some of the more well known bands. At this point(2021) my guess would be it would be extremely rare(not to mention difficult)to turn someone on to prog over the age of say 25 who had no idea what it was and wasn't already really into at least one or two of the major bands(most likely Pink Floyd and Rush).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 07 2021 at 13:17
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 14:48
I have tried and failed too many times. I'm done!!! My music is my music and couldn't care less if you like it or not. In fact, I'd prefer it if you don't like it. Makes it more personal. Like the artist wrote and recorded that whole album just for little ol' me.
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply