Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Home Record? What's Your Set Up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Home Record? What's Your Set Up?
    Posted: April 07 2021 at 00:30
Exactly what it sounds like!

Anyone else record their own music at home?

If so, what's your set up? Mac? PC? What DAW are you using, etc.? Mics, cables, additional gear, etc.?

I'm looking into making a serious upgrade to accommodate my revived prog hard rock/metal project, as well as my other personal pieces, and maybe even eventually other local artists, etc.

GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:47
Neither. Tascam dp-24 is my setup. Yeah, I'm in the minority. Never wanted to record music with a mouse and window diving. Mics include Shure, AKG, Mojave, and Beyerdynamic. If you plan on mixing, get some good speakers (I have Dynaudio) learn your room and acoustic treatment helps.

Home recording is a blast. None of my mixes sound professional, but they are fine for me. Mixing is an art. After thirty years of practice, I'm still not there. Have fun!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 05:19
Previously we used this for about 8 or 9 albums.

Korg D1600

Nowadays...

Calkwalk / Sonar

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:12
Awesome thank you for the input (pun intended), guys!

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:36
Here is a forum that discusses recording and gear.

https://www.gearslutz.com

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 07 2021 at 06:42
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:41
I don't like recording with a computer, not enough real time controls. I prefer a Korg D888, lots of sliders and knobs to play with while mixing.
A lot of my older material was recorded using an ADAT with a Kawai mixer.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 07:06
The old home recording I've done was on cassettes on a Fostex X-15 4 track back in the 80s. I think I still have it in the loft actually.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 08:46
Hi,

I have a recording setup that is similar, or styled after a radio station control module ... I have the Turntable, CD/DVD player, Tuner, Synthesizer, Cassette Player and MP3's (from a laptop) all hooked to a mixer, where I have the microphone when needed.

The output gets recorded on a machine strictly for music.

I might have tried to do it on a DAW, but DAW's are not usable "live" as if it were a radio station playing different things and mixing and matching. It's also a huge hassle, for example, to play 2 things at the same time ... and have fun with the combinations ... which a DAW is totally horrible at, and many times, it has even changed things so a beat could match!!!!!

Within a "live" setting, there is room for fun and error and taking things to a completely different and unknown realm. The DAW, is a tool that is not designed for that kind of free form and experience. It is designed for folks that are stuck on notes, chords and thinking that changing of a note or error here makes their piece of something better. And to me, "better" is not something that is important when you work on a painting, write a novel, or play something outside to the birds, the bees or the river!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 09:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The old home recording I've done was on cassettes on a Fostex X-15 4 track back in the 80s. I think I still have it in the loft actually.
Classic, when I worked for the Janice Morgan Band they had one on the road for doing demos. Bounce Tracking at it's finest !
If it works you might get a nice price on e-bay.

Edited by JD - April 07 2021 at 09:28
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:58
Reaper DAW with an Alesis V49 keyboard MIDI controller, numerous VSTs, Goldwave sound editor, and Samson Meteor Mic. All this on an ASUS PC that's just over 10 years old now (upgraded from Vista to 7 and now 10). Just a hobbyists setup; simple and mostly inexpensive.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Oogst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oogst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 13:47
I've recorded my album in Cubase on PC. Recorded it on a sE Electronics 2200a II microphone, connected to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I hired a pro for mixing/mastering, and I don't know what he used for that exactly. The final sound of my cello from this combination (microphone/hardware/mixing) is pretty powerful, I think, as you can hear in this track at 0:27:

Doesn't quite sound like a standard classical cello, and that's a good thing to me since I wanted to make something more like prog-rock than like typical cello music. :) 

Edited by Oogst - April 09 2021 at 13:49
exodustoinfinity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote exodustoinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 06:09
I recorded and mixed my debut album in my bedroom studio. I have a PC with good CPU specs . I record into FL Studio 20 with a Scarlett Focusrite 6i6. I have a basic mAudio MIDI keyboard, all my guitars and basses, and about 3 mid level mics (large and small diaphragm condensers and dynamic). I mixed the album using mainly Waves plugins from the Gold Bundle I got in a Black Friday sale, plus Guitar Rig 5 and a bunch of specialized plugins like Soothe 2. I built some sound absorption panels and bought bass traps for my room and use the panels and moving blankets to absorb sound in a closet when I record vocals.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 02:51
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Exactly what it sounds like!

Anyone else record their own music at home?

If so, what's your set up? Mac? PC? What DAW are you using, etc.? Mics, cables, additional gear, etc.?

I'm looking into making a serious upgrade to accommodate my revived prog hard rock/metal project, as well as my other personal pieces, and maybe even eventually other local artists, etc.

GO!!!

I don't record my own music but I do have to use a fairly organised set up for the vocal covers that I do.

PC.  Ableton (because it came bundled with my interface Focusrite Scarlett). Have a dynamic mic BOYA BM58.  It's similar to the Shure SM58. The mic came with a TRS cable but I had to buy an XLR cable because only that is compatible with the interface.

I have dabbled with Audacity before and compared to that, I found the Ableton software more user friendly.  Cannot say how it compares in terms of the output it gives which is what matters most. But I am satisfied with it for my requirements as of now. In the foreseeable future, I intend to use it to play the backing track on the keyboard instead of depending on karaoke tracks. I will update as to how that worked out. 
mobiUS123 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mobiUS123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 04:36
I have recently upgraded to a mac mini. M1 chip with 16gb ram. I run logic pro on it and other than the NI instruments I use my trust Korg M50, along with a Nord Stage 2. The band shares wavs over dropbox and wetransfer to sync all their respective parts and it all works well. I am really pleased with the mac mini. Recently invested in a couple of 26” gaming monitors too which really helps.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 00:05
Awesome answers, everyone!

I was looking at the KRK monitors (the famous black and yellow box/cones) that are highly lauded; any PA users have experience?

rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 13:20
Currently I'm using a TASCAM 2488 portastudio 24 channel ( I only use 8 channels ). This machine has an inboard cd -burning capability. Great sound and no computer related bullsh*t to deal with. I am working as B. WILDERED (solo).Run lines in ,mike the drums... thunder road prog.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:20
I use Logic on a Mac. That and the Focusrite Scarlett audio interface are very new (because the old Mac broke down and the new one doesn't want my old audio interface anymore), about five years ago I decided to buy some quality microphones, all my other stuff is >20 years old. I'm interested in making a noise, not so much in piling up gear. I have an acoustic and an electric guitar (a Strat-like Yamaha), a bass (a Chinese licensed Ernie Ball Music Man copy - I bought all of these when still on a tight budget), an old but not really old Korg alpha-Juno synthesizer, a Roland e-piano that serves as a Midi keyboard, and a small handfull of sound modules, and a somewhat bigger handfull of other noisemakers such as a big Wuhan Gong, unfortunately that one isn't happy with the place I live now with lots of neighbours and thin walls. Oh, and the truly stunning and still hard to beat Roland R-8 "Human" rhythm computer - anybody remembers this?
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 19:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Same here. I loved that old Fostex X-15. 

I recently purchased a mint condition Fostex X-26 still sealed in the original box. I was going to try and edit some old master tapes from the X-15, perhaps lay some extra tracks on some songs, but alas, even though the machine looks like brand new, the rubber drive bands had stretched over the years. 

However, I could get it to play (I managed to shorten the old bands), but again, alas, there was a track misalignment and some of the tracks were just "off" enough for this project not to potentially work. So I am put off buying any repair kit, for now. 

Edited by tigerfeet - June 10 2021 at 19:10
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 19:23
And yes, it is in pristine condition, and i probably should have not even opened it or took it apart! But i was so sure it would work so got over excited. 

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
mobiUS123 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiUS123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 04:33
that looks fab- such a shame the bands are duff. i have the x-28. again it seems to be in good condition, but not tried it in years so i may have similar issues 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>