Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help, I'm Stuck on Kobaia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help, I'm Stuck on Kobaia
    Posted: April 07 2021 at 02:00
With my dad being a big Pink Floyd / Jethro Tull and now Porcupine Tree fan, I eventually ended up leaning towards prog in my music tastes, although for many years I only really scratched the surface, sticking with the biggest albums from the titans of prog. At the height of coronavirus, working from home with very little human contact I decided I needed a musical journey to keep me occupied while staring at spreadsheets, and at the age of 28 I finally discovered the existence of ProgArchives and the thousands of new artists and albums. So, thank you everyone who's contributed to putting this site together and sending me into a spiral of mellotron and weird time signatures.

Here's the "problem". For the first time, I discovered the curiosity of Zeuhl. On first listens, i decided it was awful. Sharing with a friend, we concluded that the only way to describe the sample we were listening to, was it was like listening to Meatloaf being violently assaulted by a church choir.

But then something strange happened. My curiosity kept getting the better of me, and I would regularly try another Magma album, or one of the newer artists. Slowly I grew to love it and now its a wonderfully curious corner of the world of prog. Now I've been digging deeper into the history of Zeuhl, I've listened to and reviewed several albums from the early days, and if I live to the age of 200 I will review the entire genre. It's become a fixation. Christian Vander's drumming now plays in my head regularly without me expecting it. My Theusz Hamtaahk is over. I'm suddenly determined to become a Zeuhl expert even if half of what I've listened to I don't actually like. 

Help - the Kobaians have brainwashed me.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 02:45
I definitely can sense it, you've entered a new level Clap

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 02:47
I strangely happened to know about the existence of Kobaia on a SciFi magazine. That pulp was used to publish an article in the last ppages, and that one was about SciFi and music.
After many years (about 20) I decided to try Magma and bought Kohntarkosz.
Just to say that I know how you feel. 

(P.S. - Try Universal Totem Orchestra)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:13
Have to admit, U.T.O.'s Mathematical Mother I think is my favourite album in the genre thus far, even ahead of anything Magma. The Magus equally good but there's something about the track Codice Y16 that keeps me coming back to it. If you've not heard it already I was also a big fan of Dai Kaht's album (Dai Kaht II) released last year. A "happy" Zeuhl album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:16
I visit Kobaia every once in a while, haven't got lost or stuck yet LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:18
But I sometimes pay a visit to Planet Gong, too. 
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:34
I sense a poll - prog's greatest planets...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:54
I go through heavy bursts of zeuhl attacks but during recent years I’ve come to crave the more “chill” albums the genre has to offer. That certainly doesn’t mean I don’t frolick in the more zany quarters from time to time though.
But yeah stuff like Setna’s Guérison and Laurent Thibault’s Mais On Ne Peut... has been getting a lot of playtime as well as Fractale’s Live Suranné.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:55
Dai Kaht and UTO have already been mentioned, but I would add to that Koenji Hyakkei! 🤗🥰

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 05:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I go through heavy bursts of zeuhl attacks but during recent years I’ve come to crave the more “chill” albums the genre has to offer. That certainly doesn’t mean I don’t frolick in the more zany quarters from time to time though.
But yeah stuff like Setna’s Guérison and Laurent Thibault’s Mais On Ne Peut... has been getting a lot of playtime as well as Fractale’s Live Suranné.

Nice to see that you like Fractale, by my pen friend Julian Julien. As you mentioned Setna, let me add their spin-off  Xing Sa. One of my favorite zeuhl albums.  
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 05:17
Originally posted by bartymj bartymj wrote:

I sense a poll - prog's greatest planets...
Felona and Sorona (Le Orme). Two more planets. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:25
Originally posted by bartymj bartymj wrote:

Have to admit, U.T.O.'s Mathematical Mother I think is my favourite album in the genre thus far, even ahead of anything Magma. The Magus equally good but there's something about the track Codice Y16 that keeps me coming back to it. If you've not heard it already I was also a big fan of Dai Kaht's album (Dai Kaht II) released last year. A "happy" Zeuhl album.

Mathematical Mother is must for anyone into Zeuhl. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 07 2021 at 06:25
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 07:32
I won't help You, Kobaians will only do you good :)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 09:02
Kobaia or Planet Gong
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:29
Such a great sub-genre of prog! And one that fulfills the promise to be truly progressive.

I LOVE all the suggestions above, but don't forget Jannick Top's amazing 2009 release Infernal Machina, VAK's 2018 release Budo, Eskaton's 1981 release 4 Visions, and the albums of Bondage Fruit--especially their debut and their amazing 2002 release Skin as well as the 2006 sleeper EP by Magister Dixit, Cellule de crise and Chicago's own Ga'an. Such great music!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:43
I am stuck on Planet Kobaia, but I am trying to get off.  LOL  The Magma albums have come up on my alphabetical rotation, but they are a hard listen for me.  Would be much better as instrumentals in my opinion?  Still find the made-up language cheesy and mostly unlistenable. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:47
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am stuck on Planet Kobaia, but I am trying to get off.  LOL  The Magma albums have come up on my alphabetical rotation, but they are a hard listen for me.  Would be much better as instrumentals in my opinion?  Still find the made-up language cheesy and mostly unlistenable. 

I've tried also.....Too much other stuff to listen to.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 13:59
If you're into darker side of zeuhl, I'd recommend Guapo's "Black Oni" album. It's been ages since I've heard their other albums and they're filed under RIO/avant here, so I'm not sure about them, but this one comes very close to Magma in their more sinister moments. 

edit: also, it's instrumental so if you find typical zeuhl vocals tough to digest you might want to give it a try

Edited by Hiram - April 07 2021 at 14:01
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 16:02
I've never been stuck on someting, really. I've always appreaciated all kinds of bands, genres, sounds, etc. But I can see how somebody can experience something like that, when it really gets to you.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 02:44
Yeah Magma is that type of band that allows for obsession :)
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>