Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Archives Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Archives Facebook
    Posted: April 07 2021 at 03:45
What the heck happened to the prog archives facebook page? Why did it stop updating? 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 03:56
One of the admins might have a better idea, but I think it is simply because th3 owner of the site either has more important things to do, or has rather lost interest.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 03:59
pa has left fb because plenty of data has been leaked via fb, just my tuppence. Tongue
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:01
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

pa has left fb because plenty of data has been leaked via fb, just my tuppence. Tongue

Well, if leaking of data was the primary concern, then absolutely nobody would be on the thing. I believe that the whole world has simply learned to live with data leaks, which are about the only commonality across the entire WWW.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:20
Never saw the point of it myself.
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:13

I don't know what tuppence is but I can't think of anything worse than having my progressive metal reviews leaked onto the dark web. How could I ever recover from the reputation damage Ermm
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Facebook and Instagram are where people get updates about the things they follow. It was much easier or desirable for me to click on a review coming across my news feed. Plus, it even got people to comment on a reviews and have a conversation! What a novelty! 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:41
Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

I don't know what tuppence is but I can't think of anything worse than having my progressive metal reviews leaked onto the dark web. How could I ever recover from the reputation damage Ermm

Tuppence is an old British coin, two pence, shortened to tuppence. Damo San is referring to a rather old phrase in English, “just my tuppence worth”, or providing people with your opinion which is deemed to be only worth tuppence, i.e. not of any great value.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 07:31

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Facebook and Instagram are where people get updates about the things they follow. It was much easier or desirable for me to click on a review coming across my news feed. Plus, it even got people to comment on a reviews and have a conversation! What a novelty! 

Agreed. I quite liked the PA Facebook page. It definitely had me visit the site a couple of times when I perhaps wouldn't have otherwise. And the odd conversation when it happened was nice, too.

I know FB is anathema to a lot of people who frequent these forums, but there are also a lot of people out there who use it. I would definitely join a PA group on FB if one ever existed, as that would be even more useful and engaging than a FB page. Unlikely to happen, I guess, but who knows.....?

ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:18
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I know FB is anathema to a lot of people who frequent these forums,

Yea, but for the rest of humanity, forums are anathema period. I get we suffer through it here because beggars can't be choosers. But why did the existing facebook functionality have to suffer? 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:27

Yea, but for the rest of humanity, forums are anathema period. I get we suffer through it here because beggars can't be choosers. But why did the existing facebook functionality have to suffer? 

I used to be a member of many forums, and a moderator of a couple, They are definitely a relic from the past, so it’s kind of appropriate the PA forums linger on. The PA forums is not only the only one I am still a member of, but it’s the only forum I know that still exists. Every other forum I have ever been part of no longer exists. I have no doubt there are other forums still out there, of course, but they are probably as antiquated as this one. That’s not a criticism, by the way. Merely a statement of fact.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:35
Mayby social media and PR should be an admin positiifor induviduals whom are interested and want to spend time on working ong SoMe and PR for PA on facebook or further on develop an Instagram account, a genuin way to reach out to new possible members for PA, and further on MMA (Metal Music Archives) and JMA (Jazz Music Archives). Just something to think about, it could improve the sites recognition and 'brand'

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:48

I used to be a member of many forums, and a moderator of a couple, They are definitely a relic from the past, so it’s kind of appropriate the PA forums linger on. The PA forums is not only the only one I am still a member of, but it’s the only forum I know that still exists. Every other forum I have ever been part of no longer exists. I have no doubt there are other forums still out there, of course, but they are probably as antiquated as this one. That’s not a criticism, by the way. Merely a statement of fact.

I am interested, Nick, as to why forums should be seen as a relic of the past. I am not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of these social media sites. I find them all rather pointless, excepting when I do research for work or PABT. I far prefer forums to share opinions, and I lurk on PE, occasionally posting there, a couple of Star Trek forums, and other cultural sites.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am interested, Nick, as to why forums should be seen as a relic of the past. I am not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of these social media sites. I find them all rather pointless, excepting when I do research for work or PABT. I far prefer forums to share opinions, and I lurk on PE, occasionally posting there, a couple of Star Trek forums, and other cultural sites.

As I said, it was not a criticism. They have merely been superseded. Whether or not that is a good thing or not is entirely subjective. FB is the only social media I am on, but it is definitely far from pointless. I’m not sure anyone actually likes the platform, but it’s almost a necessary evil.

Your preference to use forums is just that. It had no relevance to whether or not they are a relic of the past. I prefer forums too, and have been sad to see all the forums I have been part of disappear into the ether. I personally think they have a great many advantages over any of their replacements.

But that said, if I had to choose over getting back all the forums I’ve been part of that have been lost to time, or getting rid of FB, i wouldn’t hesitate. FB provides far more, and as much as I dislike a lot about the platform itself, what it can provide for me is unrivalled.

Having both this forum and the FB page for PA was a little like having the best of both worlds. Ultimately what I would love to see is the continuation of this forum, and to see a FB group started for PA. The PA page on FB was kind of a wasted opportunity, as it limits interaction. A FB group would allow a more similar experience as can be had here, and allow those who do enjoy the social aspect of FB (so not you, if it’s not your preference) to link back and forth between here and there. It would also likely draw more traffic to this site, which can surely only be a good thing.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:30

One of the admins might have a better idea, but I think it is simply because th3 owner of the site either has more important things to do, or has rather lost interest.

Steve.....what is Facebook??
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:39
I think there still is a place for fora, but they don't appeal to the FB/Instagram generation as they require a bit more effort and diplomacy.  I'm not entirely convinced about one technology superseding another either.  It was thought in the early 20th century that radio would supersede newspapers, and a couple of decades later that TV would supersede radio, and yet to this day all three media still co-exist, though they have all had to adapt and exploit newer technology (e.g. the internet) in order to continue.

I think a FB group is certainly a possibility as long as it is well vetted to keep it a space for anyone with a genuine interest in prog.

Just my twopennorth.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:58
Yes, my use of superseded was not really apt. There is definitely still a place for forums. As there is still a place for other relics of the past. There are some things that can be achieved by a forum which are very difficult to do any other way. I can’t ever see PA being able to do what it does without this forum. Any FB group for PA could only ever be supplementary.

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 13:05
Forums would seem to excel (still) for specific interest groups.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Steve.....what is Facebook??

LOL Sadderthaneverpageforthemasses!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 14:07
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I think there still is a place for fora, but they don't appeal to the FB/Instagram generation as they require a bit more effort and diplomacy.  I'm not entirely convinced about one technology superseding another either.  It was thought in the early 20th century that radio would supersede newspapers, and a couple of decades later that TV would supersede radio, and yet to this day all three media still co-exist, though they have all had to adapt and exploit newer technology (e.g. the internet) in order to continue.

An extremely knowing, and altogether spot on, post Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>