Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Movie poll: favourite Tarantino

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is your favourite Quentin Tarantino film?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [9.52%]
6 [28.57%]
1 [4.76%]
5 [23.81%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [14.29%]
1 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movie poll: favourite Tarantino
    Posted: April 09 2021 at 00:52
What is your favourite Quentin Tarantino movie?

I can't make up my mind yet. Maybe I'll have to watch a couple of them once again. I'm a big fan of most of his films. 

Discussion of his work is encouraged. I admire his shameless love of grindhouse exploitation cinema. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 01:17
I’m one of those rare cats that genuinely doesn’t think he bettered Reservoir Dogs. Everything great about a Tarantino flick is in there...and it didn’t cost anything..at least compared to what came after. I think it’s his best movie because it feels so naturally moving from one place to the next. The story is actually rather meh but via these mad linguistic spurts that happen from time to time, we get a sense of different interconnecting storylines, humour, madness and general ignorance all crammed into these fiery scenes and characters. The dialogue in particular is the perfect proof of this methinks.
Pulp Fiction comes in second and well then there is a good amount of space before the rest of his work, which to be fair still is pretty good and always interesting to watch...but to me he never bettered his early career, least of all Reservoir Dogs.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 01:35
, I would place
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 08:01
Hi,

I'm not exactly a fan of the Tarantino train.

I've always thought that he was trying really hard to copy as many moments from foreign films as he could ... and while he did do his part for many of these films, in the end, I thought his "pastiches", or "poses plastiques" were not that big a deal.

In America, however, the majority of the folks seeing a Tarantino film, have not seen the European counterpart, and thus, it feels like Tarantino is an original, and he is not. IF, any of the majority of these fans saw more of these European films, I would imagine that the appreciation for some of his work would fall off even more ... but that's a thought ... not necessarily a reality.

I'm not a fan of any of these films. Some of them are fun to watch, but it ends there.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 09:14
I only liked Inglorious Basterds of him.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 09:33
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 09:55
I love Tarantino films, but it has to be Kill Bill for me. I have no idea how many times I've seen Kill Bill.

By the way, yes Tarantino is imitative and deliberately references/pays homage to various films and filmmakers and styles, and to me that does adds another level of enjoyment.  It's the dark humour that makes his films extra good for me.  
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 12:53
I like them all, some more than others though, but my favourite are the Kill Bills; and the first one is my wife's all time favourite movie.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 13:29
Love most of his work  - Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill,  Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds....
Had to vote for Pulp Fiction, (defiantly on my top ten movies of all time list)

Edited by Argo2112 - April 09 2021 at 13:33
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 16:11
Django.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 16:30
For his brilliant retro Chopsocky recreations, Kill Bill 2

https://wiki.tarantino.info/images/Paimei1.jpg

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 17:04
PF: it has a great structure, energy, wit and pace, how it ends adds a lot to my note because of what is given significance, ie the last word given to a guy who surprizingly dismisses his heartless hitman's lifestyle, rather than given to those who remain in that hitman world and are shown in the last chronological events of the story, earlier in the film.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 17:19
Pulp Fiction
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 21:34
Pulp.

Only like / have seen the first three.

I remember one summer in my twenties with a couple friends, we had PF on vhs or dvd.. (there was no tv signal there, nor cable and much less internet!) and between fooling around at nights at the local 'disco-pub' 'till late, we saw it again every other day! LOL  never got bored.. 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 22:58
I think Tarantino is a master of structure, pacing and choosing exactly right actors for roles. He showed all this already on Reservoir Dogs. 

All his references and homages to other films show great love of cinema itself. In a way all his movies (maybe excluding RD) are also about movies. I think he has brought many gems from the past to at least slightly wider awareness. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:11
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

All his references and homages to other films show great love of cinema itself. In a way all his movies (maybe excluding RD) are also about movies. I think he has brought many gems from the past to at least slightly wider awareness. 

Hi,

An awareness that many folks did not exactly follow up on, as if they were boring and not interesting movies. No one went to see any Godard films for Umma's haircut! And no one went to look for a film that made fun of an American cheeseburger! And many of the "references" were just a casual word here or there switched around ... at least Godard and Truffaut did not do that ... they went further than just a set of words, and helped "develop" the film's ideas even better, although I think that a lot of these things were likely improvised and that they simply "worked" while being filmed and a scripted version was not as good.

I appreciate Tarantino's his help in the awareness, don't get me wrong, however, in seeing his films, I mostly saw a hollow attempt of making use of a line or two to make it look like it was a reference to another film or two ... but it made his actors believe in something else ... an odd/weird/valuable bit of eccentric behavior that helped the characters in each film ... and that is something that EVERY ACTOR and ACTRESS values a lot, as it helps in the development and creation of a character for the stage or film ... no one will think that those bits are not important or helpful.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:48
On thig I've thought of Tarantino is that he does cool, and tries to be cool, while not being at all cool as a person. It can be cringe, but I find that kind of cool in itself. I can understand someone thinking that his films are superficial, and more style than substance, but to me there is a certain depth to the films, like with Jackie Brown, which I found at the time a more mature film from him. I do like his characters and plotting.

By, the way, since I voted for Kill Bill. I think of both parts as one film really (Tarantino had wanted to make it one film), but it is the second part that most appeals to me. I love everything about part 2, whereas I've heard some people love part one (which is more action focused) and find part two boring. I heard many call Once Upon A Time In Hollywood very dull for much of the film, but I really enjoyed it the whole way through and I liked the change of pace.

It's interesting for me to compare the works of the Coen Brothers to Tarantino, incidentally.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 10:41
I ended up voting Kill Bill myself, too. I like both parts equally and I think it's best to watch them as one film (time permitting...). I think there's a version edited by Tarantino himself into one film? 

Coen brothers comparison is indeed interesting. I think they have mostly the same audience as Tarantino. 

Coen brothers movie poll would be in order. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 12:01
Tarantino is to cinema what looting is to the British Museum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 12:02
A Coen brothers film poll has been done (at the beginning of the same year you joined), but it's out of date (otherwise I'd unlock it). I voted for Miller's Crossing. I'd like a Wes Anderson one at some time (I'd vote for The Grand Budapest Hotel). I have done many film polls, but I might lie do a sort of comedy/crime one that could include people like the Coen Bros, Wes Anderson, Tarantino and I would want In Bruges there (a film that was mentioned to me at PA that I really loved). .

Edited by Logan - April 13 2021 at 12:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>