Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hautville for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hautville for Prog Folk
    Posted: April 10 2021 at 12:04
Hautville are a progressive neofolk trio based in Basilicata, Italy, formed in 2006 by Leonardo Lonigro (guitars) and Francesco Dinnella (keyboards/vocals), with vocalist Simona Bonavita joining the project soon after. Their lyrics address "traditional doctrines and folk traditions that are seen as a collection of ancient knowledge." Hautville's dark folk sound arrived fully formed on their 2010 debut No Milk For Babies, from which several songs would be remastered and paired with new material on the next year's follow-up Numen Lumen, released on Hau Ruck! SPQR. By their 2013 release Le Moire, Hautville's mostly acoustic sound would expand significantly, with their progressive rock credentials burnished by the guest appearance of Arturo Stàlteri from obscure 70s prog-folk group Pierrot Lunaire and a cover of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso's evergreen "Non mi rompete." 2016's Mater Dolorosa expanded Hautville's lineup even further, with the addition of orchestral strings and horns, and the return of Stàlteri on piano. 2020 saw a collaborative EP with fellow Italian neofolk group La Pietra Lunare, which was inspired by the Tibetan Book of the Dead and City of the Sun by Tommaso Campanella. Similar bands in the archives include Corde Oblique, Forseti, Faun, Ilienses and Anathema.

"Numen Lumen" (2011)

"Le Moire" (2013)

"Mater Dolorosa" (2016)

"Il Mago Ubriaco" (2020)

Edited by Gordy - April 10 2021 at 12:05
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:22
Ik, Ken & I will look into it Wink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 18:02
well researched Gordy, I agree with the comparisons.

Seems a fit in prog folk to me.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 11:53
Gordy, did you write the above bio?  If so, may I use it to add them and credit you?
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 12:58
I did and you may, thanks for asking. Hope you enjoyed the listen. I love sharing my finds as much as discovering them.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 14:57
I did.  I'm a big fan of Corde Oblique so this was pleasing from the first note.  Thanks for the suggestion!
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 23:10
My pleasure, glad they clicked with you. I think I prefer them to Corde Oblique myself. As with CO, though, I do wonder what their politics are like.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:07
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

My pleasure, glad they clicked with you. I think I prefer them to Corde Oblique myself. As with CO, though, I do wonder what their politics are like.

ha, that is often an issue with neo folk groups
Have you heard Sangre de Muerdago?  I think they are in a similar vein musically but seem more leftish politically
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:34
Hautville has been added.  Gordy, feel free to add their albums...if not I will start adding them soon anyway
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:36
Be sure to check out their friends:

You might like the better known Ianva also.

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 15:17
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

ha, that is often an issue with neo folk groups
Have you heard Sangre de Muerdago?  I think they are in a similar vein musically but seem more leftish politically

Thanks for reminding me, I've only heard their debut and forgot to keep pursuing them. Also I had no idea non-admins/team members could add albums to the archives and have therefore never done it before.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 15:24
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Be sure to check out their friends:

You might like the better known Ianva also.

Thank you, I look forward to listening. I see two prog-rock blogs, one Italian and one Dutch, have reviewed their work favourably.

I discovered Ianva two years ago and thought their music was great, though I'm dryly amused that their PA bio and some reviewers fall over themselves to note the band has "no hidden political agendas." Well, of course their agenda's not hidden: they openly sing the praises of Gabriele d'Annunzio, the Arditi and "Archeofuturism" - all touchstones of proto- and neo-fascist thought.

Edited by Gordy - April 17 2021 at 16:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 11:29
I've added the releases for Hautville
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 20:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I've added the releases for Hautville

Thank you kindly. 

Maybe someday down the road we can reopen this can of worms LOL

Post Reply Post Reply