Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which prog band would you join? And why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:26
I'd quite fancy adding lead guitar to some early Caravan stuff. Pye Hastings played a bit of lead guitar but has said he always preferred playing rhythm guitar, especially when his guitar of choice was a Rick electric 12-string!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:52
I have a special affection for England, mainly because they're close to home, and I have a close friend who toured Japan with them on their 2006 Kikimimi tour. In reality though, I'm more likely to be employed as a roadie, rather than a fully paid-up band member, bearing in mind my limited musical abilities - not unless they need a tambourine player. Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 06:03
I have no worthwhile musical ability on any instrument, but I can sing very well.
I'd rather like to have performed vocals on the first 4 Camel albums (well 3 since The Snow Goose is instrumental).
Touring would have been a major problem though, as I have a chronic fear of singing in public, which ended my association with my band at university. 
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 07:45
Since we're in fantasy worlds.... StarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStar

I dabbled a bit with bass, but gave up after a bit because Squire wouildn't leave Yes and Weather Report hired Jaco instrad of me LOL

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Personally speaking, then, if I were able to go back, I would love to have been involved with a band, either as a manager, on the road, doing tax and accountancy. That would be great fun, because it would be a way of being with a band without detracting from them.

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^That's so funny.
Not funny HaHa, but funny strange. As I was reading the original post I was thinking the exact same thing. But I'd want to be the band manager for sure. Like the mighty Laz I'm a nit quite drummer.

Rather than being a band manager, I'd rather be a record engineer/producer and record label owner, signing them better bands for recording deals with better percentage deals and have them keep their rights over their musicApprove.
Surely one the word gets out, most bands would rush in to get signed and I'd have my pick and be fairly selective about which I'd choose.ClapStar

Accessorily, I'd also own a couple of mid-sized venues (like the Fillmores) and have them play full concerts in the band's prime, filming and recording their sets then hand them personally (not to their managers) the films for them to exploit the way they would want ...Cool

Aaaaaand while we're at it fantasizing away, I'd also own a few radio stations in key cities, and have the better records play out regularly. LOL

Edited by Sean Trane - April 12 2021 at 07:49
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 07:54
Keys for Genesis--from Nursery crime to W and W.Tongue
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 08:14
Well I had a dream where I was on stage with Yes playing keyboards so there's my answer. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 08:15
On the subject of band managers and radio stations, if I was England's manager, I'd promote them to be given "heavy rotation" on WKRP in Cincinnati to break the American market. Tongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 08:17
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

wait, do you think you'd do just as good of a job as Tony Banks? ConfusedLOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 11:05
Blue Oyster Cult...they need more cowbells!!!  Although, like Laz, I'm more the manager, accountancy and tax guy than the music maker.

Edited by rushfan4 - April 12 2021 at 11:07
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 11:27
Assuming my musical skills would be up to par (98% guitar, but I dabble in banjo, mandolin, percussion, and recorders), which they are not, it would be cool to play with a jam band like Phish, or perhaps a collaboration with Jon Anderson. Maybe full-time guitars for ELP. We could have called it FLEP. lol.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 12:24
Gentle Giant - playing the triangle or something. But mainly to stop them trying to go more mainstream and try to put out another Octopus instead of The Missing Piece.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 13:42
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Being in one of Zappa's line-ups would probably be the most fun.
This is what I am circulating around as well.

From what I've read by folks like Steve Vai, Zappa was quite the perfectionist/slave-driver! 

However, the live shows were amazing, I saw him twice.  

Well this would be assuming my piano, vocal, and maybe saxophone skills would be up to snuff in all relevant categories (performance, sight reading, improvisation). Much better than they are now. Maybe some day I'll be actually worthy of having been a member. I certainly have the sense of humor for it, as well as a flair for the theatrical and absurd.

My music partner and I actually put together a concert of his music at our college. It was great night, turned a lot of people on to Frank. And we did the schtick and everything. Our secret word of the night was "Olé" (the slogan of our mascot, the Gaucho). I'd love to do more concerts like that. I'd send a link to the video, but it's unlisted on YouTube, and will remain that way. If any word gets out to ZFT that's it's gone public, they'll be on our A$$es legally speaking.

Edited by Awesoreno - April 12 2021 at 13:46
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:03
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Gentle Giant - playing the triangle or something. But mainly to stop them trying to go more mainstream and try to put out another Octopus instead of The Missing Piece.

Sounds like a good idea, but for me, it would be to get Van der Graaf Generator to rethink ALT... to examine the successful parts of Present CD2 in order to create an improved version of ALT.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Assuming my musical skills would be up to par (98% guitar, but I dabble in banjo, mandolin, percussion, and recorders), which they are not, it would be cool to play with a jam band like Phish, or perhaps a collaboration with Jon Anderson. Maybe full-time guitars for ELP. We could have called it FLEP. lol.
You would be right at home with the Strawbs though.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:19
AC/DC

because they rock

Edited by Atavachron - April 12 2021 at 14:20
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
PJMarten View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PJMarten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:36
I used to drum, and I still have that rhythm in me. I don't want to replace any existing legend so Yes, ELP, and Rush are out of the question. I'd rather play alongside these musicians, so my choice is going to be 70's Sweden's Kaipa. This way I can play right next to my rock icons, Roine Stolt and Hans Lundin, while playing their beautiful rock music.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 16:15
This is a tough one. But it would have to be something with avant-garde elements. Maybe Can.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 19:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

wait, do you think you'd do just as good of a job as Tony Banks? ConfusedLOL

of course I could.Evil Smile 

(don't think anyone can do what he did during this time frame--so much great perfect tasteful playing)
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 01:40
Okay so this is just PURE FANTASY trip right?

I dunno about prog bands. I mean, it would surely be a helluva adventure to tour with Zappa & the Mothers, or record 10+ great albums in a row with Jethro, or push the boundaries of rock improvisation with King Crimson for 8 months and get ditched. But to be honest none of these are my "dream" scenarios. I think I'd have the best time in a later era, say, 80s-90s, being part of some metal group, i.e. Type O Negative (top pick for mixture of goth, epic, doom and fun), Slayer, Death; or maybe some huge names for ca$h flow and touring all over the globe (tallica, Megadeth, Maiden)...

Okay, let's find a compromise between the two: Deep Purple!

Edited by thief - April 13 2021 at 01:41
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 02:14
Like many, I have zero musical talent, so would just have to be a tribute act for Bez from the Happy Mondays. Jumping about and playing the maracas doesn't really work in most prog though sadly. As I'd offer zero improvement to any band I'll just have to say I'd join Mostly Autumn for the desperate and unlikely possibility that my little crush on Livvy Sparnenn would lead anywhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>