Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which prog band would you join? And why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haerskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 07:46
If it was 1972 I would become the tuba player with Gentle Giant on Octopus. Gentle Giant always needed a tuba player.
" First you learn the instrument, then you learn the music, then you forget all that sh*t and just play." Charlie Parker
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 08:06
I would like to play piano with Magma, perhaps sing a bit too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 08:33
Hi,

None, really.

I'm into theater and film, and I would want to enhance the whole thing with film and some theatrical things, and I think that the band's members might not like/enjoy that as much ... the one thing for sure, would be that it would make the band "different" and "special" in its own way, and not have to be compared to JT or YES, or ELP ... and while that would likely take it away from PA, in many ways, I don't care ....

You're either into the music itself, or into PA ... and PA is NOT the history of music and what has survived, thus, the desire to do something different is valuable to me ... 

As an example, of all the "live" theater I have ever seen, what do I remember the best? THE NATIONAL THEATER OF THE DEAF ... with its incredible ability to show pantomime within a "story" format and incredible intelligence and creativity. I doubt anyone can even imagine its amazing show! The other? THE ETC LAMAMMA GROUP doing "Carmilla" on a set with a large red couch that turned into a hearse, that turned into a bed and had film in one of its windows as the "set" ... and you saw the landscape go by as the actors acted through it ... it was the most amazing thing that even "progressive" music could not do, and had to resort to pyrotechnics to show its creativity, so the fans would think there is something "hot" in this whole thing ... and for the majority of the bands ... it was just a show! And what a massive BS it was, too!

Edited by moshkito - April 13 2021 at 08:34
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

None, really.

That's all you had to type. The rest has nothing to do with the object of the thread. And you are correct about the rest of the group not wanting to hear your rants in band practice. The minute you start talking about "hits", there'd be an instantaneous and unanimous ejection vote by the rest of the band. LOL

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:31
Renaissance,for obvious reasons. Leave over " musical differences" and join Curved Air.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hi,

None, really.

And you are correct about the rest of the group not wanting to hear your rants 

Not just the rest of the group LOL
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:07
I would have enjoyed being a roadie for these chaps! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:26
Originally posted by haerskar haerskar wrote:

If it was 1972 I would become the tuba player with Gentle Giant on Octopus. Gentle Giant always needed a tuba player.

I vaguely remember there was a strange band in the 70's that used something like a French horn (or similar brass instrument), but I'm darned if I can remember their name now.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:56
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Interesting question, but to be quite honest, my answer is none of them. The answer is simply because I rather like all of my favourite bands quite enough without my “spoiling” them with my contributions, because, by and large, you would be replacing an extremely accomplished musician who adds so much to that band.

I dabbled with the drums a bit when I was a misbegotten yoof, and I wish I had carried on with that. Ditto the guitar. I took guitar lessons, but haven’t picked one up since I was 18, and I regret that.

Personally speaking, then, if I were able to go back, I would love to have been involved with a band, either as a manager, on the road, doing tax and accountancy. That would be great fun, because it would be a way of being with a band without detracting from them.

Of all the answers, this one, the first one, is my favorite. 

But, I did like to jam. We'd get in a room, tune and do mic checks, flip on all the switches, flip open our beers, turn of the lights, and then push "record" and jam for hours. 

I think I would have soared as an acid-taking member of some commune band like Amon Düül or Ash Ra Tempel, The Grateful Dead or Phish. As for my instrument: I'll take anything you put in my hands except the drum kit (even the Simmons or Roland Octopads are just beyond me); flute, sax, guitar, bass, ChapmanStick, trumpet, synths, MIDI-anything, Fairlight, Fender Rhodes, pipe organ (please: not the Hammond or Wurlitzer), I'm game!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Assuming my musical skills would be up to par (98% guitar, but I dabble in banjo, mandolin, percussion, and recorders), which they are not, it would be cool to play with a jam band like Phish, or perhaps a collaboration with Jon Anderson. Maybe full-time guitars for ELP. We could have called it FLEP. lol.
You would be right at home with the Strawbs though.

Good call. I would like that still.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 15:36
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by haerskar haerskar wrote:

I vaguely remember there was a strange band in the 70's that used something like a French horn (or similar brass instrument), but I'm darned if I can remember their name now.

SOT use tuba instead of bass.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 02:59
Rabhi Abou-Khalil uses tuba a lot, usually played by Michel Godard. here two videos:

Friede and I have been at several concerts of Rabih Abou-Khalil, and they were always a great experience. he is not only a great musician, he has amazing language skills too. he grew up in Beirut and came to Germany at age 21. usually people who learn a language at that age have a heavy accent, but he speaks perfect German without any accent at all (I still have one), and he speaks perfect English and French too.

at his concerts he tells hilarious made-up stories between the songs. so there is a double experience at his gigs

Edited by BaldJean - April 15 2021 at 03:16

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 03:23
I'm still racking my brains, I'm pretty sure there was an obscure 1970's band that used a tuba as a main instrument.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:08
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I'm still racking my brains, I'm pretty sure there was an obscure 1970's band that used a tuba as a main instrument.
The only band that springs to mind is Sky, with Herbie Flowers playing "Tuba Smarties" on Sky 2 (1980). Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 05:33
On reflection it may have been a French horn.

kyrandia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyrandia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 05:41
For the acoustic Guitar : Jethro Tull
For the electric Guitar : Gong 
Smile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 06:55
If I could travel back in time and be in the late 60s and early 70s in my late teens and early 20s (I was born 1969) I would love to be part of the wild bunch of either Amon Düül II, Hawkwind or Gong, probably slightly preferring the Düüls (though on second thoughts when thinking of Stacia... Forbidden fruit; I am happily married to Jean, though I am certain she wouldn't mind a threesome with Stacia. Or with Renate). I would play drums and sing.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 15 2021 at 06:57

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 08:39

Hi,

None, really.

That's all you had to type. The rest has nothing to do with the object of the thread. And you are correct about the rest of the group not wanting to hear your rants in band practice. The minute you start talking about "hits", there'd be an instantaneous and unanimous ejection vote by the rest of the band. LOL

Hi,

I had more actors and actresses wanting to work with me than you can imagine ... they knew it would be an experience and then some ... but of course, in rock music ... there is no such thing and most bands and kids are not smart enough to know about anything else but 4 beats ... !
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 09:21
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

If I could travel back in time and be in the late 60s and early 70s in my late teens and early 20s (I was born 1969) I would love to be part of the wild bunch of either Amon Düül II, Hawkwind or Gong, probably slightly preferring the Düüls (though on second thoughts when thinking of Stacia... Forbidden fruit; I am happily married to Jean, though I am certain she wouldn't mind a threesome with Stacia. Or with Renate). I would play drums and sing.

I have Stacia on my Twitter - she's a lovely lady, but doesn't tweet very often. Tho I never did get to a Hawkwind gig back in the day when she was their 'dancer'.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 09:47

Hi,

None, really.

Hi,

I had more actors and actresses wanting to work with me than you can imagine ... they knew it would be an experience and then some ... but of course, in rock music ... there is no such thing and most bands and kids are not smart enough to know about anything else but 4 beats ... !

Yes, I can see you in an adaptation of Beckett's Waiting for Godot, which would be instead titled "Waiting for the Band" about a lone character sitting in front of his house waiting for the group to come pick him up for their first gig, but the band's van never comes by.  

The lone actor then soliloquizes about "hits" and the band "knowing nothing but 4 beats" and how they will amount to nothing but being in a genre on Prog Archives. Unfortunately, the play only lasts one night as the audience leaves about 10 minutes into the actor's rambling rant. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>