Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog Artists Recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Female Prog Artists Recommendations.
    Posted: April 14 2021 at 00:54
Just recently I've been exploring the wonderful contributions the ladies have made to the prog genre.  While many are a tad overlooked, some vocalists in otherwise male bands such as Sonja Kristina, Annie Haslam, Heather Findlay, Barbara Gaskin are well known to all of us.

However I'm more interested in recommendations for all female prog bands (have been very impressed so far by Mother Superior, Beatrix Players, and the Japanese bands Ars Nova, OOIOO, and Angel'In Heavy Syrup), and solo artists such as Rosalie Cunningham, Tara Busch, Catherine Jauniaux, Diamanda Galás, and Annette Peacock, so quite an eclectic bunch.

So who else would you recommend I consider taking a look at?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 01:16
For something relatively unique give Diablo Swing Orchestra a go, particularly their latest album Pacifisticuffs. Bent Knee also pretty good.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 01:25
Sounds good - I'll try and find it.

Curiously I also enjoy Yoko Ono's experimental albums - Plastic Ono Band (not to be confused with Lennon's album of the same name), Fly, and Approximately Infinite Universe. She probably gets overlooked as a musician with being in bad odour with many music fans for being responsible for the break up of the Beatles (she was probably a contributing factor, but that's a whole other debate).  So if you've not heard those three albums, try and put your prejudices and preconceptions aside and give them a try.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 01:50
Without a doubt - Susanne Sundfor. In the continued absence of Ms Bush she is, for me, the number one female artist. Check out "Music for People in Trouble".

I'd also recommend Bat for Lashes, not strictly prog but you might like her.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 02:02
Thanks for the recommendations Chopper.

I have tried Bat for Lashes, but she doesn't quite press all my buttons, she seems to cross over genres and maybe is better classified as Dream Pop.

As for Miss Bush - I just don't get on with her music at all (her voice just grates on me), even though I appreciate her for being possibly the greatest art rock musician/composer/artist of her generation, and (like Bowie) is an inspiration for so many other artists.

Edited by Progishness - April 14 2021 at 02:09

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 02:11
If you're fond of jazz fusion then I heartily recommend the work of piano wiz Hiromi Uehara:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 02:27
Ah yes I'll give her a look thanks - I do love the quirkiness of the Japanese musicians.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 03:05
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

If you're fond of jazz fusion then I heartily recommend the work of piano wiz Hiromi Uehara:

I would actually love Hiromi Uehara to team up with Barbara Dennerlein, just as she did with the (sadly) late Chick Corea

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 05:40
I'm gonna second the Bent Knee rec. Fantastic band!

Also:

The Anchoress
Jarboe (since someone mentioned Diamanda Galas)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:22
Thanks, I'll give them a look - big fan of Diamanda Galas - that voice is just so terrifying and mesmerising.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:43
Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

I'm gonna second the Bent Knee rec. Fantastic band!

Good call, Courtney Swain's solo work is great too, particularly Between Blood and Ocean.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:44
if you are willing to go into jazz I suggest the all-female band Five Play led by drummer Sherrie Maricle.

here a track from their album "On the Brink":

the album features Karolina Strassmayer as one of the two sax and flute players. she is one of only 2 female members of the WDR Big Band (arguably the best big band in the world). she is married to drummer Drori Mondlak and co-leads the band Klaro! with him. since I never leave out an occasion to mention Barbara Dennerlein: Drori Mondlak was the drummer in her band for some time, and at one festival where both she and Klaro! appeared Karolina joined Barbara and her husband on stage; here a track from that occasion:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:50

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Without a doubt - Susanne Sundfor. In the continued absence of Ms Bush she is, for me, the number one female artist. Check out "Music for People in Trouble".

I'd also recommend Bat for Lashes, not strictly prog but you might like her.

I like Bat for Lashes too. I have all of her albums on CD, which reminds me, I had an eyelash sticking in my eye overnight while I was sleeping, which drove me batty when I woke up. My eyes were watering nearly all day yesterday, although that could have been because I was listening to sad songs which make me cry.  Cry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 07:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Check out CATHERINE RIBEIRO + ALPES

Interesting - reminds me slightly of Aguaturbia from Chile, who made a couple of decent albums back in 1970

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 07:32
 I was going to say Hiromi but someone beat me to it. Defiantly check her out, she is amazing!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 10:29
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I would actually love Hiromi Uehara to team up with Barbara Dennerlein, just as she did with the (sadly) late Chick Corea

That would be nuts! Shocked
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I was just listening to her duet album with Chick. Absolutely stunning, and they had BARELY WORKED TOGETHER up till then. They met for the first time just recently before playing that night at Blue Note Tokyo. He heard her by accident!

I'll include it in the next CC poll; there's a hint for the theme.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 15:40
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I was just listening to her duet album with Chick. Absolutely stunning, and they had BARELY WORKED TOGETHER up till then. They met for the first time just recently before playing that night at Blue Note Tokyo. He heard her by accident!

I'll include it in the next CC poll; there's a hint for the theme.

If you haven't, check out The Stanley Clarke Trio's Jazz in the Garden.

The "trio" is Stanley, Lenny White and Hiromi!

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 16:07
Vertu (Rachel Z , Karen Briggs). Short lived but left their mark.

Edited by dwill123 - April 14 2021 at 16:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>