Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trovante for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trovante for Prog Folk
    Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:25
Trovante were a Portuguese band formed in 1976 whose signature sound can be described as a blend of traditional Portuguese and South American music, jazz fusion, and a pop sensibility with progressive influences. Starting off as a vehicle for a leftist political message, their first couple of albums, Chão Nosso (1977) and Em Nome da Vida (1978), mixed a very pastoral folk sound with jazz and symphonic prog elements to gorgeous effect, though somewhat marred at times by politically charged, if undoubtedly heartfelt lyrics. The band's musical and lyrical output became progressively refined until reaching its creative apex in 1981 with the magnificent Baile no Bosque, an undeniable masterpiece within the context of the Portuguese musical scene. This was followed two years later by Cais das Colinas, another seminal release in their discography, if slightly more accessible. The following years saw the band descend into a more commercial territory, with 84 (1984) and Sepes (1986) nonetheless retaining something of the spirit of the previous albums; a descent which, however, culminated in the release of two bland and uninspired pop/rock records, Terra Firme (1987) and Um Destes Dias... (1990), each producing a few very successful hits, before Trovante finally disbanded in 1992.

Their second album, Em Nome da Vida, a lovely, pastoral prog folk release, hasn't been reissued since 1978 and can't be found anywhere on the Internet, except for one track on YouTube which I share here. I have an mp3 rip of the vinyl though, which I can email to anyone interested for the purpose of evaluation.

From Chão Nosso (1977):

From Em Nome da Vida (1978):

From Baile no Bosque (1981):

From Cais das Colinas (1983):

From 84 (1984):

From Sepes (1986):

Edited by SolNiger - April 15 2021 at 11:28
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:32
This definitely rings a bell.

Quite sure they've been proposed alrteady, but not sure what the decision was.

Wilml check with the PF team.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 06:39
Thanks. No results showed up when I used the forum's search function. I've actually been thinking of proposing this band for addition on PA for many years now, but only got round to doing it today Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 15:43
Originally posted by SolNiger SolNiger wrote:

Thanks. No results showed up when I used the forum's search function. I've actually been thinking of proposing this band for addition on PA for many years now, but only got round to doing it today Embarrassed

Research done, it was a behind the scene (collab zone) suggestion dating from last year (that how my alzheimerian brains still remembers LOL).

I turned it down, because I thought only their debut album is somewhat progressive, the rest being too straight folk (interesting bass work at times) for IMHO PA inclusion
my team partner (Ken) thinks different.... and I think he's right 

Upon relistening, I do think we can accept it. I guess I wasn't receptive enough at the time of listening (I remember being annoyed at not listening more of their second album - only found the track you have)

Soooooo mea culpa.EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

and congratulations ClapClapClap they're in Star

Would you be willing to write a bio for the band? The text you have in the first post is fine, but is it yours or is it a copy/paste from elsewhere? (we have to know, to give proper credit)

Edited by Sean Trane - April 14 2021 at 15:43
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 06:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

and congratulations ClapClapClap they're in Star

Thank you! It's great to finally see them included on PA. They may not be strictly speaking a full-blown prog band, but the prog influences are nonetheless unmistakable, and in the Portuguese musical panorama they certainly are very progressive and may be considered, together with Banda do Casaco, the pioneers of prog folk in the country.

Would you be willing to write a bio for the band? The text you have in the first post is fine, but is it yours or is it a copy/paste from elsewhere? (we have to know, to give proper credit)

I wrote it myself, so you're free to use it if you like Smile

Edited by SolNiger - April 15 2021 at 06:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 06:53

I wrote it myself, so you're free to use it if you like Smile

Great, we'll use  it and credit you with your real name iuf you want.

You can PM it to us. Wink
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 09:33
Thanks for re-suggesting Yusuf.
I should be able to get the bio in this weekend, and will credit you with it.
If I haven't gotten around to adding albums, I believe anybody can

Ken
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 11:26
Thanks a lot! I can add the albums as soon as the band's page is up, so you don't need to bother yourself with that Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 06:29

Thanks a lot! I can add the albums as soon as the band's page is up, so you don't need to bother yourself with that Thumbs Up

How do you feel about Fausto's 77-85 albums (Trapeiros, Viageros, Rio Acima and Alquimista), BTW??

they're sometimes qualified as prog folk
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:03
Trovante has been added
I made just a few small changes/additions.  Let me know how it looks.
And please do add the albums if you can.  Or let me know if you can't and I will work on it.

Edited by kenethlevine - April 17 2021 at 11:39
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 16:02
It looks absolutely perfect to me! Great choice for the band photo as well Thumbs Up
I'll add the albums tomorrow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 16:48
Thumbs Up
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 04:43
All albums added. I couldn't find the track times for their debut Chão Nosso at first, so I uploaded it without any. However, I ended up finding them later. Could someone with the proper permissions please add them? 

1. Alto e Bom Som (2:29)
2. Chão Nosso (3:01)
3. Hoje (1:57)
4. Igual ao Mesmo (2:44)
5. Engrenagem (4:33)
6. Mais e Mais, Agora (3:04)
7. À Flor da Vida (8:46)
8. Amanhecendo (5:47)
9. Muralha de Ombros (3:03)

Total Time 35:24

Thanks Embarrassed
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 05:10

How do you feel about Fausto's 77-85 albums (Trapeiros, Viageros, Rio Acima and Alquimista), BTW??

they're sometimes qualified as prog folk

I'm afraid I'm only familiar with Por Este Rio Acima. It's a good album, not pure prog folk, but it definitely has a few strong progressive moments here and there. The album's concept is quite fascinating as well (and what a gorgeous album cover!), although I have some reservations with the way Fausto approaches it. There's also something about the overall mood and sound of the album which somehow doesn't really sit very well with me. I also own a compilation of his love songs, which is quite average. All things considered, I haven't been too eager to check out his other albums, not the least because his earlier work is in line with the "música de intervenção" genre of straightforward political songs, and heavily politicized lyrics (irrespective of whether they express left-wing or right-wing sentiments) tend to make me cringe at best, or feel nauseated at worst, thus spoiling my enjoyment of the music.
 Post Reply Post Reply