Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Psychedelic Rock: First Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.61%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.61%]
19 [30.65%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.61%]
1 [1.61%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
20 [32.26%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [8.06%]
1 [1.61%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.23%]
2 [3.23%]
2 [3.23%]
1 [1.61%]
2 [3.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 11:47
Of these, I would vote for Love's eponymous debut. It was released prior to any of these (March 1966) and included the songs, "Colored Balls Are Falling," and "Mushroom Clouds.  Gotta love those song titles and the music was also tinged with became knows as psych in "Emotions," has plenty of psych sound, also heard on "Softly To Me," "Gazing," (which sounds a lot like The Byrds, who also might be contenders) and Mushroom Clouds." It's also pretty punky, they evolved into much more complex music later on.  
Not on the list, The Charlatans (including Dan Hicks), are often attributed to being among the first bands with "The San Francisco Sound," a related topic.  There were complications in getting signed to a label, and then in getting music released.
The Great Society, featuring Grace Slick before she joined JA, was even earlier than Love's debut, a single of "Somebody to Love," was pressed in Feb 1966.  
Anyway, fun topic.  Thumbs Up  I love most of these bands and these recordings, plus a heckuvalot more.  Smile

Edited by Snicolette - April 14 2021 at 12:44
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:44
A rare occurance: I know and own all but two of these albums! (An era I LOVE.)
So many great albums here to choose from! I love the LOVE album, but I have to go with the vastly under-rated and surprising Strawberry Alarm Clock debut: every song has such a great groove or mix of performances and vocals.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:46
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Of these, I would vote for Love's eponymous debut. I was released prior to any of these (March 1966) and included the songs, "Colored Balls Are Falling," and "Mushroom Clouds.  Gotta love those song titles and the music was also tinged with became knows as psych in "Emotions," has plenty of psych sound, also heard on "Softly To Me," "Gazing," (which sounds a lot like The Byrds, who also might be contenders) and Mushroom Clouds." It's also pretty punky, they evolved into much more complex music later on.  
Not on the list, The Charlatans (including Dan Hicks), are often attributed to being among the first bands with "The San Francisco Sound," a related topic.  There were complications in getting signed to a label, and then in getting music released.
The Great Society, featuring Grace Slick before she joined JA, was even earlier than Love's debut, a single of "Somebody to Love," was pressed in Feb 1966.  
Anyway, fun topic.  Thumbs Up  I love most of these bands.  Smile
I like Grace Slick & The Great Society too and I also love Love. Heart I have their first four albums on CD, and regarding the high-flying Byrds, I'm saving them for my Classic American Rock polls. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:54
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

A rare occurance: I know and own all but two of these albums! (An era I LOVE.)
So many great albums here to choose from! I love the LOVE album, but I have to go with the vastly under-rated and surprising Strawberry Alarm Clock debut: every song has such a great groove or mix of performances and vocals.

Owning 23 out of 25 albums in any poll is very impressive. I thought I was doing well with owning 21 albums of these albums, but I had the unfair advantage of who to include  in the poll and who to leave out. Smile

I'll take a wild guess that one of the two albums you don't own is by Ultimate Spinach. Wink
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:59
Also a side trip, the first Love album is among my favourites of all time, I was thinking in terms of what was the earliest psychedelic band/recording.  I have most of these LPs and will never let them out of my possession, as most are favourites and stellar recordings of the era.
The first I personally heard that cemented my interest, or just fell in love with the sound of the genre at the tender age of 10 was Quicksilver's S/T debut, but we had and listened to all of these in my home.  All wonderful examples of the genre.

Edited by Snicolette - April 14 2021 at 12:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:04

Also a side trip, the first Love album is among my favourites of all time, I was thinking in terms of what was the earliest psychedelic band/recording.  I have most of these LPs and will never let them out of my possession, as most are favourites and stellar recordings of the era.
The first I personally heard that cemented my interest, or just fell in love with the sound of the genre at the tender age of 10 was Quicksilver's S/T debut, but we had and listened to all of these in my home.  All wonderful examples of the genre.

When you mentioned Side Trip, I thought you were talking about Kaleidoscope's debut to begin with. Wink

My favourite Love album is Forever Changes, and nothing will ever change that. Smile
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:22
Having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I am familiar with a lot of these bands. For those interested in the classic Haight-Ashbury sound, I would also suggest Sopwith Camel, who never quite made it out of the region. Some true heavy hitters in this list, along with a number of less-known-but-still-worthy bands. My vote went to H.P. Lovecraft just to give them a little more exposure.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:31
Great list Paul, good job!  But as some others have mentioned a few missing in that 66-68 period.  Steve Miller was Psychedelic in that period so was Steppenwolf, the Seeds, The Troll, Savage Resurrection.

Edited by Spaciousmind - April 14 2021 at 13:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

When you mentioned Side Trip, I thought you were talking about Kaleidoscope's debut to begin with. Wink

My favourite Love album is Forever Changes, and nothing will ever change that. Smile
  It was a reference to it, Wink have a special love for the US Kaleidoscope.  And yes, Forever Changes is always in my Top 10 of all time classic/influential/stand alone sorts of masterpieces.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:45
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I am familiar with a lot of these bands. For those interested in the classic Haight-Ashbury sound, I would also suggest Sopwith Camel, who never quite made it out of the region. Some true heavy hitters in this list, along with a number of less-known-but-still-worthy bands. My vote went to H.P. Lovecraft just to give them a little more exposure.

Others that will NEVER leave my collection (H.P. Lovecraft's works, but especially that one).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:52
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Great list Paul, good job!  But as some others have mentioned a few missing in that 66-68 period.  Steve Miller was Psychedelic in that period so was Steppenwolf, the Seeds, The Troll, Savage Resurrection.
Thanks! I'd need about fifteen of these polls to include all the American bands on my psychedelic playlist. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:02
Jimi and co.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:15
Hendrix by far. Nice to see Nazz and The Amboy Dukes.

Thanks for including us Americans in one of your polls, Paul.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:42
Hendrix........ Doors, Quicksilver, Spirit, etc  a nice batch of psych rock on that list.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:43
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Hendrix by far. Nice to see Nazz and The Amboy Dukes.

Thanks for including us Americans in one of your polls, Paul.

My pleasure, and in the Spirit of Anglo-American friendship, It's a Beautiful Day to open The Doors and let the sunshine in by giving some Love to the Kaleidoscope of U.S. Psychedelic Rock, where the music's as sweet as Vanilla Fudge. Heart
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:46
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

First, and maybe last, vote for Janis. 
There's a lot of good stuff, from Hendrix to Electric Prunes, to HP Lovecraft, to It's A Beautiful Day, Spirit, Doors, Grateful Dead...So I have just chosen one which may potentially get no votes.

That's second to Hendrix on my list.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 14 2021 at 14:49
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:47

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I never knew there was a band called Ultimate Spinach!

I'm the proud owner of 21 out of 25 albums in this poll, including Ultimate Spinach. Smile

The only debut albums in the poll missing from my CD collection are by the Amboy Dukes, Big Brother & the Holding Company, Blue Cheer & Nazz.

You should really really check out Big Brother & the Holding Company.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:53
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I never knew there was a band called Ultimate Spinach!

I'm the proud owner of 21 out of 25 albums in this poll, including Ultimate Spinach. Smile

The only debut albums in the poll missing from my CD collection are by the Amboy Dukes, Big Brother & the Holding Company, Blue Cheer & Nazz.

You should really really check out Big Brother & the Holding Company.
I like Big Brother & the Holding Company. I listened to all of their albums awhile ago but I haven't got around to buying any yet. Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 17:36
all great albums; hard to choose between them. I would have thrown in "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" (1968) too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 01:23
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

all great albums; hard to choose between them. I would have thrown in "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" (1968) too
Arthur Brown has already been and gone in the crazy world of Proto-Prog polls. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 15 2021 at 01:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>