Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

From Russia with Love

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Peacock Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Russia with Love
    Posted: April 15 2021 at 03:58
Greetings to everyone! My name is Artyom, 19 years old, and I live in St. Petersburg, which is my hometown. I've been trying to discover new music especially for the last 2 years, and prog is one of these music directions I find really interesting. It won't be surprising I guess if I tell you all that Steven Wilson (his general stuff of course) has turned me into newbie proghead. Tbh I'm a little excited but nevermind. Here's some bands which are in Progarchives and which I deeply or almost deeply love:

Anathema, Blueneck, Cult of Luna, Dead Can Dance, Death, Hypno5e, Isis, Katatonia, Neurosis, Nine Inch Nails (probably my all-time favourite band and I was truly wondering seeing this band on PA), Opeth, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree (and SW other stuff including his solo works), Raised by Swans, Swans, Ulver

Yeah probably this is not so proggy as it has to be but thanks to this site I found so many interesting and cool bands and I'm sure I will discover more and more new stuff. *deep breath* Let's go.Big smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:30
From England with Love in return, with the Spectre of the Cold War now a distant memory. Prog Archives knocks The Living Daylights out of the competition and For Your Eyes Only, I hope this wonderful site gives you a Quantum of Solace in a world gone mad. After all, You Only Live Twice, and Prog-Rock is Forever, just like Diamonds. Smile
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:46
Welcome aboard! NIN is one of my favourite projects too. Cool

You can find other great artists here. Enjoy! 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:56
Welcome Artyom! There's a lot of music to explore and exchange here on PA. And remember, nothing "has to be" when it comes to musical preferences, although sometimes PA-members can be very strong in expressing their opinions and even take their opinion as fact - that's part of the charm of discussing music!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:58
Welcome! Maybe you can recommend some more Russian music to add to my collection. I have a bit, but always happy to add more. Not all prog, but here’s what I have:

Aesthesys
Ciolkowska 
Compassionizer
Detieti
Disen Gage 
Eternal Wanderers 
Echoes and Signals 
Fair Wind Pleases
Gnoomes 
The Grand Astoria
iamthemorning 
Infront
Gleb Kolyadin 
The Legendary Flower Punk
Life on Venus
Pandora Snail
Roz Vitalis
Rozmainsky Mikhaylov Project (RMP)
Mariana Semkina
Kamille Sharapodinov
Slot
Trappist System Trio
Vespero
Whalephant
Yojo
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 07:30
приветствую друга
Welcome aboard.

Many Canadians share the northern climate of your dear homeland, but you won't get a cold shoulder from any of us. Wink

It looks like you are a fan of the heavier stuff so check out bands like...
Änglagård
Anekdoten
Extreme
Faith No More
Gordian Knot
King crimson
Liquid Tension Experiment
Rush
Symphony X
Tool

Just to name a few.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 10:31
Nice to see my compatriot here.

Добро пожаловать / Welcome!
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Peacock Feather View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peacock Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 10:56
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Maybe you can recommend some more Russian music to add to my collection. I have a bit, but always happy to add more. 

Amazing collection, Nick! I'm not so deep into Russian prog music as you LOL, although I've listened some of these bands and I want to share some near-prog and non-prog staff with great pleasure. Hope my recommendations will be sort of new.

Химера (Chimera) - probably my all-time favourite Russian band and of course my favourite St. Petersburg band. They were a unique phenomenon for underground Russian scene in general, played awesome mix from alternative rock, post hardcore, noise rock and other punk stuff, demonstrating unusual and eclectic forms of music. Eduard Starkov, Chimera frontman, became an underground legend. Anyway, check out their second and last (because of Starkov's suicide) album, which is their best IMO: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lxY4V25LWSTzCcg_dMgtSo6I2VDOHaT5k

Злурад (Zlurad) - absolute mad jazzcore inspired by John Zorn and his ilk. Check out their album Во благо злу (For the Good of Evil): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kfdb0njve16to1Uh9_9A6dvpPmh5XteiE

Verticals - one more St. Petersburg band. Really high-quality post-rock full of amazing soundscape passages and not going far beyond the about 10-minute timekeeping, preferring to stay within strict 3-5 minutes limits. Check out their only LP Grace of Existence: https://youtu.be/wOl7EMDYY_Q

iwantsummer - and one more band from my hometown LOL. This trio plays in similiar style with Lost in the Riots: energetic and grooving post-rock. My favourite one is Mi vzorvem veneru i svalim na mars (We'll Blow Up Venus and Fly to Mars): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1uQIOUd_uc61p334oTrjWsQc0w1NN9eh

Blankenberge - I see you have Life on Venus in your list, so I recommend you my fellow countrymen (how surprising) from Blankenberge which plays the same style: https://youtu.be/LoDkKnUj2qM

Olhava - Superb atmo-post-black-metal from St. Petersburg (I guess I recommend too many SPB bands LOL) which deserves to be in Experimental/Post Metal section. They recorded one of my favourite 2020 releases, Ladoga, 71-minute journey through Ladoga woods (Ladoga is a large lake located in Leningrad Oblast). I advise you to check out this and other Olhava stuff: https://youtu.be/bHoObL6hxUg

Lowering - this Russian guy currently lives in NY but I presume that he was born in St. Petersburg (he actually has a track with Saint Petersburg name). Really strong mixture from dark jazz and post rock. I recommend to check out Brooklyn, his first LP: https://youtu.be/UBPro4pSlws

That's enough for the first time I think.

Edited by Peacock Feather - April 15 2021 at 10:58
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peacock Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 11:03
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Nice to see my compatriot here.

Добро пожаловать / Welcome!

Взаимно, товарищ! Smile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 11:32
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

приветствую друга
Welcome aboard.

Many Canadians share the northern climate of your dear homeland, but you won't get a cold shoulder from any of us. Wink
Really pleasant to hear these words! Embarrassed

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

It looks like you are a fan of the heavier stuff so check out bands like...
Änglagård
Anekdoten
Extreme
Faith No More
Gordian Knot
King crimson
Liquid Tension Experiment
Rush
Symphony X
Tool

Just to name a few.

Of course I know all of these bands but only listened to a few of them. Lateralus is my favourite Tool record, while Angel Dust is my favourite FNM release. Also listened to some KC, Rush and Swedish prog stuff and even liked some of it. I'll definitely listen to the rest of this list! Smile
PJMarten View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PJMarten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 19:09
One of my favorite bands right now is Elder, from stoner metal to melodic heavy prog, I think they might be up your ally.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:05
What a coincidence, just listened to Lore yesterday Big smile
I know them since they released Reflections of a Floating World, cool band IMO although Omens left me a little disappointing.

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 23:12
Welcome to our cosy little corner of the WWW from my little corner of England!
 Post Reply Post Reply