Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How integral is Renaissance for prog listening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 12:53
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

How integral is Renaissance for prog listening? For me, not at all. I have "Scheherazade And Other Stories" and do like the album. It kind of reminds me of Jefferson Starship. But it is not an essential part of my music collection.

Jefferson Starship? Really?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 12:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

How integral is Renaissance for prog listening? For me, not at all. I have "Scheherazade And Other Stories" and do like the album. It kind of reminds me of Jefferson Starship. But it is not an essential part of my music collection.

Perhaps he means Renaissance is to prog as Jefferson Starship is to rock. If you accidentally drop a Starship CD out of your car window, you probably won't waste the money to replace it. Nice here and there, but really not anything to be upset about.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 13:00

What??? Seriously???
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 13:06

Well, "Trip To The Fair" sounds like something from Mary Poppins, but other parts did bring to my mind Jefferson Starship, though I didn't want to suggest a strong similarity.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 14:49
I would say there are parts of Prologue and Ashes that seem a bit similar to Jefferson Airplane but I don't hear the Starship comparison.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 15:30
Prologue and Ashes are fantastic lps that perhaps didnt get the initial success that they should have in UK (their classic status came with time) and that pushed them to look for commercial success overseas (they certainly weren't unique in that..) I think that Annie Haslems voice and Betty Thatchers lyrics certainly made something very unique that became an essential part of the progressive rock canon with time.. 

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - April 16 2021 at 15:31

Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 18:49
For me Renaissance are among bands that are essential prog from the classic era of the genre, but were somewhat overlooked, just like Gentle Giant, Camel, Caravan, Van Der Graaf Generator. Renaissance fits nicely with the pack.  Not worst than some obvious names, maybe less influential as their fanbase was considerably smaller and their aesthetic somewhat unique, but the same can be said about any of the above-mentioned bands. I love all of them and will put them on any top prog list along with Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and Jethro Tull. As much as I love Pink Floyd I would struggle to restrict their style to prog, so Renaissance fits there even better for me. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 21:44
Also, Annie has put together an admirable touring group that has proven equal to the task of performing the classic material in the last 10-15 years.  The several live DVDs prove that, and their eagerness to vary the live set has been met with enthusiasm from a still loyal and decent sized audience in the US Northeast.  This has helped their legacy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 22:45
Annie's solo catalogue is more than decent too - I don't think she's made a bad album yet. The most proggy is probably 'Annie in Wonderland' which was largely a collaboration with Roy Wood. Though why she hasn't got her own entry on this site, maybe under 'prog related' is a bit of a mystery.

Edited by Progishness - April 16 2021 at 22:46

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 22:46
My personal experience is if. I enjoy the music than that’s fabulous. But if not than that isn’t worth worrying about.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 22:49
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

My personal experience is if. I enjoy the music than that’s fabulous. But if not than that isn’t worth worrying about.

Indeed there are bands that are beloved of many prog fans that I just cannot get into (however much I try) such as Gentle Giant, VDGG, Gong, and indeed much of the Canterbury sub-genre, apart from Caravan, doesn't really press my buttons.

It's horses for courses.

Edited by Progishness - April 16 2021 at 22:50

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 23:15
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Indeed there are bands that are beloved of many prog fans that I just cannot get into (however much I try) such as Gentle Giant, VDGG, Gong, and indeed much of the Canterbury sub-genre, apart from Caravan, doesn't really press my buttons.

It's horses for courses.

Excellently put.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 02:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Perhaps he means Renaissance is to prog as Jefferson Starship is to rock. If you accidentally drop a Starship CD out of your car window, you probably won't waste the money to replace it. Nice here and there, but really not anything to be upset about.
Speak for yourself. Ashes, Turn Of the Cards and A Song For All Seasons are three of my favorite albums. I can't say that about any Starship albums except for perhaps Red Octopus.

Edited by SteveG - April 17 2021 at 13:57
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 13:18
Check out Illusion's two albums with Jane Relf..
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 13:26

Annie's solo catalogue is more than decent too - I don't think she's made a bad album yet. The most proggy is probably 'Annie in Wonderland' which was largely a collaboration with Roy Wood. Though why she hasn't got her own entry on this site, maybe under 'prog related' is a bit of a mystery.

Sadly, Annie Haslam has already been rejected for inclusion in PA after I suggested she be added last year. Ouch

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 17 2021 at 13:27
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 13:27
The OP is probably aware of the Illusion albums but they might be a good suggestion for the "Mary Poppins" haters.

Edited by SteveG - April 17 2021 at 13:56
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 13:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Sadly, Annie Haslam has already been rejected for inclusion in PA after I suggested she be added last year. Ouch

Good.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 14:59

That is rhubarb.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 15:03

That is rhubarb.

thank you for that insult, so kind... Dead
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 17:45
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

No band is integral or essential. It's about personal preferences.

True. I once knew a guy who seemed to like every prog band except Yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>