Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How did your family influence your tastes in prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did your family influence your tastes in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did your family influence your tastes in prog?
    Posted: April 18 2021 at 19:28
For me, my late wife was English who liked traditional British folk music. This was something completely alien to me as this music is all sung acapella with no musical accompaniment at all. Strange stuff for an American, to say the least. To meet in the middle, we explored the electrified folk rock bands like Fairport Convention or less amplified bands like the Pentangle, which neither of us would have ever heard on our own. Do you have any such stories?

Edited by SteveG - April 19 2021 at 05:26
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 20:00
My parents let me stay up on Sunday nights to watch Ed Sullivan. That was all that was necessary. Otherwise, there musical preferences were nothing I cared for. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 20:12
Not at all, I discovered it all via friends and the internet.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 20:19
My dad had a copy of "the Yes album" that I remember seeing as a kid. The disembodied mannequin head used to sort of freak me out. Other than that album not a whole lot. However, that album and knowing the name Yes before buying 90125 on tape did serve as a sort of name recognition for me and made me curious to rediscover that album I once considered too weird and jammy for me. 

My cousin had more of an influence on me getting into prog I would say. He was big into Genesis(as well as Yes but Genesis was his favorite)and so rather early on I think I put one and one together than Yes and Genesis were sort of similar to each other. He also told me about this band called King Crimson who "I might like if I like the early Genesis." My cousin never really went that deep into prog though even though he did like several of the major bands. I don't think he was ever into Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas, Jethro Tull or ELP much. He did mention UK to me once but I'm pretty sure he never got into GG, Camel, Renaissance, VDGG etc. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 18 2021 at 20:24
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 21:07
My dad was into heavy classics like Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture and Grieg’s Hall of the Mountain King. He always had the best audiophile equipment. In ‘75 he bought a Fisher quad system that I still have. And he played it LOUD. Also a lot of opera and organ music. He never admitted it but I think he sort of appreciated ELP when I started listening to them. He definitely disliked Jethro Tull though.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 22:15
My family didn't even know of the existence of something called prog rock.  Neither did I until I read the wiki article on Pink Floyd which cited progressive rock as (one of) their genre. 

But there was 'indirect' influence via getting me into music that would eventually act as a bridge to prog. 

One, my dad read an article about Santana's Supernatural album in a Sunday leisure supplement of the newspaper we read.  The song Yaleo was the first time I was exposed to the idea of duels/trade off solos.  This would sound bewildering for those who do not know that I grew up in a fairly downmarket suburb of Mumbai and my only other exposure to Western music at that time had been a Beatles compilation which had mostly the songs from the first few albums (and then Let It Be Dead), an ABBA compilation which did NOT have Intermezzo no.1, the Yanni live at Acropolis concert which of course was heavily instrumental but in a different way and a Celine Dion concert Dead. Oh, and some Michael Jackson songs, of course. This was long before mp3, limewire and the lot and most of our music consumption at that point was via cassette. 

The other and arguably major bridge was Ilayaraja's music. I don't know whether he did hear any progressive rock beyond Pink Floyd or whether he just appropriated Mancini and the like but looking back now, I can clearly hear the influence of prog or at least of 70s rock/funk/soul in his work.  

The passages from 11:40 to 12:10, 19:40 to 20:15 in the below video for eg (they are taken from his background scores).  There are many such but his team recently purged all the background score compilations uploaded (unofficially) on youtube, so I can't find more examples of the kind of passages I'd have wanted to show.

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 22:26
My parents had no interest in music whatsoever - I initially discovered prog through my friends (in particular that time I first heard 'Meddle' round at a mate's house).

Otherwise my interest started by whatever 'quality music' I could find on BBC Radio One, particularly from presenters such as John Peel and Bob Harris, and to a lesser extent from Radio Luxembourg.

Edited by Progishness - April 18 2021 at 22:37
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 23:27
Hi,

Dad was an avid listener of classical music and he had way over 2K albums from the earliest to the latest Stockhausen and other electronics of the day. The variety was crazy, and combined with about 50 or more operas, I ended up appreciating the variety ... and still do to this day!It explains why I don't care for bands that only have a beat drummer, and bass player. The work has very little life to show for it.

Edited by moshkito - July 25 2023 at 06:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 23:27
My sister borrowed a copy of Nursery Cryme from a friend and I played it - I must have been intrigued by the cover and the lyrics. That led me to buy Genesis Live and soon I got into Yes from a school friend. We would have been about 11 then! This is when it all started for me.
My sister never really got into prog though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 23:35
Strangely my younger brother never quite got into prog (I'm the elder of two siblings) and none of my offspring have shown any interest in the genre either.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 23:47
It was my cousin who introduced me to Yes. Mum and Dad had little influence, aside from putting up with the racket I made from the hifi.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 23:50
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It was my cousin who introduced me to Yes. Mum and Dad had little influence, aside from putting up with the racket I made from the hifi.

Ah yes, those shouts up the stairs of 'turn that racket down will you'!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 01:42
I got into prog without knowing there was such a thing as prog. I had been listening to a lot of prog without knowing that was what some people call it. In fact, it wasn’t until after I came to the UK that I even first heard the word, when someone said “oh you like prog”, after I had listed off some of the bands I like, in answer to a question about my musical tastes. It intrigued me, and I had to ask what prog was, since I couldn’t even really see how the bands and artists I had mentioned had any similarities to each other. Heck, even the invented “grunge” genre seemed to have more similar qualities than what “prog” is.

When I returned to NZ temporarily, I remember asking my friends who liked some of the same bands and artists I did, if they had ever heard of prog. Not one had, though I suspect that may have changed since, as the internet has propagated the term to the point where I am sure it has more global recognition than it does now.

I’m not suggesting that prog was unknown as a term in NZ, as I’m sure it was not. I’m not even suggesting that prog was unknown as a term in NZ for my generation either, as it’s purely anecdotal that my friends and I had never heard of the term.

But I do think the term can be more unhelpful than helpful, as it does conjure up images of old, bearded, real-ale quaffers, and a stuffy, boring old reputation. I can definitely understand why a lot of more modern bands and artists who undeniably make prog music, do not like the term, not like their music to be called prog.

Sorry to go off the track a little here, but it was more to point out that it’s really hard for me to work out who got me into prog, because I was well into it before I even knew it was a thing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 01:55
They didn't. I stumbled across prog indirectly through Jeff Wayne's WOTW and The Wall, and more directly through heavy metal.

My mum liked easy listening and country music, and my dad didn't seem interested in music at all.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 02:05
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I got into prog without knowing there was such a thing as prog. I had been listening to a lot of prog without knowing that was what some people call it. In fact, it wasn’t until after I came to the UK that I even first heard the word, when someone said “oh you like prog”, after I had listed off some of the bands I like, in answer to a question about my musical tastes. It intrigued me, and I had to ask what prog was, since I couldn’t even really see how the bands and artists I had mentioned had any similarities to each other. Heck, even the invented “grunge” genre seemed to have more similar qualities than what “prog” is.

When I returned to NZ temporarily, I remember asking my friends who liked some of the same bands and artists I did, if they had ever heard of prog. Not one had, though I suspect that may have changed since, as the internet has propagated the term to the point where I am sure it has more global recognition than it does now.

Yup, this happened to me as well. I had no idea about "prog" until the 90's, despite being into it since 74 (and not being my lone rock genre I liked). In Canada, it was loosely called "Art Rock" and wasn't really anything of a niche or definite/definitive genre. It's coming back in Europe, that when asking me about my music tastes, people misheard art-rock ashard-rock. when explaing further, they said: "oh you mean prog rock".

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Not at all, I discovered it all via friends and the internet.

That wouild be my answer, but I probably had predispositions from my parents.

My dad listened to classical music with a certain accent on chamber music. He had also listened to a fair amount of jazz (he was helping organizing jazz concerts (I remember Rashan Kirke and Memphis Slim (the later even slept at house house) as some of my earliest memories, though he preferred swing to bop, if I judge by his LP collection. My dad also had Stand Up (for Bourée) and was given the original Hair soundtrack. I suppose he also danced rock'n roll with my mom, at one point LOL

My mother also like some classical, but was a musical hall fan (Edith Piaf, Trenet, Garbo, Minelli, Chevalier, and also Le Grand Jacques were her fave), which means I didn't freak out at The Gabe's costumes.
But she also listened to Formule J (for Jeune) while overseeing us making our homeworks.

My dad didn't dislike Floyd, Genesis, ELP (he even had a few early Tomita albums) and Tull, so he didn't try to interfere.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 19 2021 at 02:13
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 03:21
Although it was me who was the avid music listener of my family, it was my older brother (2¾ years older than me) who got me into:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
Split Enz - Mental Notes
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Close To The Edge
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Jeff Wayne - The War Of The Worlds
Nektar - Journey To The Centre Of The Eye

However, in the case of Supertramp - Crime Of The Century, Split Enz - Mental Notes, and Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick, I was already aware of these albums, but it was through my brother that I fell in love with these albums.
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 03:31
As a reply to the OP's question: Sure, whenever my dad began watching some crappy music programmes on TV in the sitting room; I found myself in my room listening to some quality music, mostly prog. I'd call it "influence". LOL

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 19 2021 at 03:32
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 03:31
Long story short: my Dad played Floyd's DSOTM over the speakers when I was either 8 or 9 years old. 

Like others here, I hadn't heard the term "prog" until the 1990s. We all thought it was classic rock in the 1980s because the classic rock stations were the only ones playing this stuff.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 03:53
I wasn't aware of the terms "Progressive Rock" or "Art Rock" until the late 90s. At the time I was getting into prog (mid-to-late 70s), I just thought of it as uncommercial music because it was being played on a radio station that didn't play pop music. The music being played wasn't all prog, in fact most of it would've been classic rock (Led Zeppelin, etc). However, the station did play "21st Century Schizoid Man" on several occasions, which I loved, but it wasn't until I came across the album itself that I found out where the track came from.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 05:43
I know I've told this story before but here it is again...

I had no interest in any music my folks listened to. Religious, Pipe and Drum, Lawrence Welk, Hawaiian.

I did get an FM radio from my mom when I was around 9 or 10 and began to explore the dial. I like to listen to music when I was going to sleep. This also just happened to be the time that stations from the Detroit area could get picked up.  I think Arthur Brown's Fire was one of the first tunes I heard that caught my ear. A few years later it was Knife Edge by ELP, although it took some time to learn who they were. Later that same summer at a drop in centre for youth held at the local high school I heard The Three fates on the turntable and was smitten. I grabbed the album cover and saw the title Knife Edge. Now I had a name to the song and the rest, as they say, is history.

My dad did mention once that he's like to see ELP play, but unfortunately we never got that chance.
My mother couldn't stand my music. She hated the sound of a synth.
My sister (2 years older) was heavily into Elvis and Sha-Na-Na, so no influence there...at all.
My older cousin (4 years older) turned me onto the heavier stuff she listened to whenever we would visit. Stuff like Alice Cooper, Humble Pie, Grand Funk as well as the Allman Bothers, CCR and Led Zeppelin.
Just last week my son (29 yr old) made a reference to J. Geils, caught me totally off guard. I had no idea he listened to, let alone, liked them.

Edited by JD - April 19 2021 at 11:31
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>