Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How did your family influence your tastes in prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did your family influence your tastes in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 06:37
I was born for prog. My family had zero influence on my prog tastes. Friends, and several good record stores in the area had the music I preferred. When the Internet bloomed, the door for music discovery was wide open.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 07:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I know I've told this story before but here it is again...

I had no interest in any music my folks listened to. Religious, Pipe and Drum, Lawrence Welk, Hawaiian.

I did get an FM radio from my mom when I was around 9 or 10 and began to explore the dial. I like to listen to music when I was going to sleep. This also just happened to be the time that stations from the Detroit area could get picked up.  I think Arthur Brown's Fire was one of the first tunes I heard that caught my ear. A few years later it was Knife Edge by ELP, although it took some time to learn who they were. Later that same summer at a drop in centre for youth held at the local high school I heard The Three fates on the turntable and was smitten. I grabbed the album cover and saw the title Knife Edge. Now I had a name to the song and the rest, as they say, is history.

My dad did mention once that he's like to see ELP play, but unfortunately we never got that chance.
My mother couldn't stand my music. She hated the sound of a synth.
My sister (2 years older) was heavily into Elvis and Sha-Na-Na, so no influence there...at all.
My older cousin (4 years older) turned me onto the heavier stuff she listened to whenever we would visit. Stuff like Alice Cooper, Humble Pie, Grand Funk as well as the Almond Bothers, CCR and Led Zeppelin.
Just last week my son (29 yr old) made a reference to J. Geils, caught me totally off guard. I had no idea he listened to, let alone, liked them.
J. Geils huh? Perhaps there's hope for the younger crowd.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 07:18
I have two older brothers . One was in to bands like The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan Quicksilver, NRPS, The Byrds... The other brothers taste ran more towards Yes, Renaissance,Tull, The Who (Tommy specifically ) Both had a big influence on my musical tastes.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 07:34
They didn’t
Dad’s faves: Dire Straits, Everly Brothers, early Beatles, ABBA and Shu-bi-dua.
Mom’s faves: Bee Gees, Stevie Wonder, Ravel, Roy Orbison, Boney M and Shakin Stevens.

Some of which is brilliant music...but yeah the closest they ever got to the genre was Dire Straits and ABBA. The Stevie Wonder stuff they mostly listened to was his 80s oevre.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 07:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Stevie Wonder stuff they mostly listened to was his 80s oevre.

Dead  For a lot of people, Stevie Wonder only starts with Master Blaster. 
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 08:10
I had one older brother into classic rock: The Beatles, The Stones, The Who etc. And another older brother devoted to Verdi, Puccini, and Tower of Power (no joke)... So it was probably inevitable that I would become an ardent Proghead.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 08:48
My family had very little influence on my taste for prog, except for my grandfather. Coming from a latino background and growing up in Central America, most of the music there was (and is up to today) dance music, full of rhythms and genres like cumbia, merengue, son, etc.  I knew there was something more, and I always liked to hear my grandfather play the cello. He taught me how to listen to music and appreciate orchestration, instrumentation, composition, etc. So I grew up listening to the classics, like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, etc. I finally met a guy who played Jimmi Hendrix to me, and told me about Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Yes, etc. Then I was hooked, because I could actually listen to something with meaning and intent, just like I had learned to appreciate as a kid from my grandfather. It was difficult to find this type of music down there around that period of time, but I connected with other people who had access to progressive music, and my prog history began. 
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 08:56
Not in the slightest.

My mother and grandmother were into Mowtown and Soul.

I have no idea what my father likes.

My grandfather was into Country.

I was the older brother and had no older cousins or family into it.

I got into it all on my own.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 09:32
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

That is one smoking track though
...but I know what you mean. Having been somewhat late to fully explore his albums from the 70s outside of Innervisions and Talking Book, I recently discovered a whole slew of albums and music I would have loved to have been part of my life much much earlier
...but I can’t imagine NOT exploring further back in this man’s catalogue when you love all of his latter day material. That’s just nuts. I have two coworkers like that. Sure they’re like ‘his biggest fans ever’ but don’t know any of his 70s stuff outside of a few hits
You know what...now that I think of it..it rather mimics the relationship most folks have with Genesis and Kraftwerk. People generally know what the radio/dj plays..and that’s about it.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 19 2021 at 09:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 09:36

...but I know what you mean. Having been somewhat late to fully explore his albums from the 70s outside of Innervisions and Talking Book, I recently discovered a whole slew of albums and music I would have loved to have been part of my life much much earlier
...but I can’t imagine NOT exploring further back in this man’s catalogue when you love all of his latter day material. That’s just nuts. I have two coworkers like that. Sure they’re like ‘his biggest fans ever’ but don’t know any of his 70s stuff outside of a few hits

You know what...now that I think of it..it rather mimics the relationship most folks have with Genesis and Kraftwerk. People generally know what the radio/dj plays..and that’s about it.

Yeah, exactly what I have seen.  They will say they love Stevie and I will be excited to talk about his music with them and then they talk about I Just Called To Say I Love You.  Ugh!

Edited by rogerthat - April 19 2021 at 09:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 09:44

Yeah, exactly what I have seen.  They will say they love Stevie and I will be excited to talk about his music with them and then they talk about I Just Called To Say I Love You.  Ugh!

Well I have to admit that I have a very loving relationship with that tune...but I know what you mean
It’s my parents’ song. Whenever it plays they look at each other very lovingly, dance, embrace and kiss in the most natural way. I have many great memories of pure love with that track as the background music..or indeed frontground music. It still does the same today actually. I can put that track on and see their love spring out of thin air...and I’ve always loved Stevie for that
...but I’d wish people explored a little further. There’s soooo much more to discover in this man’s repertoire. It’s a shame not to.

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 10:01

The passages from 11:40 to 12:10, 19:40 to 20:15 in the below video for eg (they are taken from his background scores).  There are many such but his team recently purged all the background score compilations uploaded (unofficially) on youtube, so I can't find more examples of the kind of passages I'd have wanted to show.

Isn't that annoying? One time I told a member here that I would post a studio and live version of an obscure Roy Harper song, only to find that his whole discography was wiped from YouTube. I'm sure that PA member still thinks I made the song up.LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 10:02
Zippo!! My family is from Honduras and the luxury of music did not exist. Not till we moved to the US and most probably I influenced them. My dad eventually, once he started to earn more money, got into hi-fi gear and he became a classical music listener. 
My mom migrated to pop/rock music like myself as I was growing up, I have a feeling she lived her dreamed about music listening life thru me as I grew up listening, buying records and going to concerts.....Again something they only dreamed about in Honduras growing up.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 10:04

They will say they love Stevie and I will be excited to talk about his music with them and then they talk about I Just Called To Say I Love You.  Ugh!
That was my Mom's favorite song, so naturally I played it a lot whenever she visited. Embarrassed

Edited by SteveG - April 19 2021 at 10:05
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 10:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

They will say they love Stevie and I will be excited to talk about his music with them and then they talk about I Just Called To Say I Love You.  Ugh!
That was my Mom's favorite song, so naturally I played it a lot whenever she visited. Embarrassed

I guess the reason I don't have a warm relationship with that song is by the time I first heard it, I had already started to dislike some of the typical 80s sounds and didn't at the time know that Stevie Wonder was all kinds of amazing. I just knew him as a famous artist.  And THEN, when I did get around to the Innervisions era, I could never reconcile songs like I just called to say/Part time lover with THAT Stevie. I was like, what happened to him!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 10:47

I guess the reason I don't have a warm relationship with that song is by the time I first heard it, I had already started to dislike some of the typical 80s sounds and didn't at the time know that Stevie Wonder was all kinds of amazing. I just knew him as a famous artist.  And THEN, when I did get around to the Innervisions era, I could never reconcile songs like I just called to say/Part time lover with THAT Stevie. I was like, what happened to him!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 11:02

But I always slipped in "Superstition" just to give my ears a break.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 11:28
They didn't listen to pop-rock at all; dad listened to some Ray Charles and mom was into Perry Como, Doris Day, Sinatra, etc.
My brother and I got into pop and rock in the early/mid 60's by listening to top 40 radio on transistor radios and 45 singles...then college where we fist got into 'prog'.

Edited by dr wu23 - April 19 2021 at 11:29
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 11:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

They didn't listen to pop-rock at all; dad listened to some Ray Charles and mom was into Perry Como, Doris Day, Sinatra, etc.
My brother and I got into pop and rock in the early/mid 60's by listening to top 40 radio on transistor radios and 45 singles...then college where we fist got into 'prog'.

You didn't mention that you played your 45s on the family phonograph in the living room.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 12:35
My parents didn't have much prog, but at least they introduced my to ELP, Pink Floyd and Procol Harum at some point. I don't think they even know who f.e. King Crimson are. The dominating music in my family is classical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>