Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How accurate is this prog family tree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:28
Maybe this one makes a bit more sense.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz7bvzIb8Y1qzbv4zo1_1280.jpg
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:29
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

As well as the aforementioned issues with missing genres, when put against the family tree of just three prog acts, it does seem more than a little lacking.

Now this is extreme!
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

For those of you who don't read German, the subtitle has the word "Auszug" meaning that it's just a part of a whole thing that we don't see. It may have been published as the most essential part (we don't know that I guess), but anyway, it isn't just not claiming that it's complete, it acknowledges explicitly that it's incomplete and that there's more to it elsewhere. So much for criticising that it doesn't have XXX.
That is very good to know... but we couldn't possibly tell it is incomplete. Tongue
Some of the answers here gave me an idea for another thread related to prog rock history... I will think about it, formulate it and maybe post.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:33
Pete Frame's music family tree books are awesome! I had one back in the day.

For the tree in question it's not bad. You can't include every genre found on PA and I don't consider jazz rock/fusion prog.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:37
I remember Pete Frame's rock family trees, but don't remember the name of the music publication they used to turn up in on a semi-regular basis.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:47
Defining 'continental prog' as a genre is a bit arrogant imo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:58
Exactly, as Italian Prog and Krautrock definitely inhabit their own distinct spaces.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I remember Pete Frame's rock family trees, but don't remember the name of the music publication they used to turn up in on a semi-regular basis.

They were in Sounds originally, and then moved onto Kerrang.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:07
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Not really. A "continental breakfast" is relatively cheap with a limited menu. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:10
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

now which continent is it? LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:13

Exactly, as Italian Prog and Krautrock definitely inhabit their own distinct spaces.

In what way? Geographically or musically?

Does Italian heavy prog sound distinctively Italian? Ditto Italian folk prog?

What about our German friends? Is there something about Krautrock which is so distinctive that it is set utterly apart from, say, some of the more British avant stuff being produced at the same time?

This has got me in a wee bit of trouble in the past, but I am old enough to remember this argument raging over the years. Did we distinguish these sub-genres because of the nationality of the participants, or because they were so musically unique and the nationality aided this? What if a British band were to come along and record an album which sounded like, say, PFM at their height? Would that be RPI? We do have this problem with Canterbury Scene, which was so called because of a group of musicians who got together and created music and a feel in, erm, Canterbury, and yet we allow bands from, say, deepest Glasgow who make an album sounding like a scene album into that sub-genre, which is so historically incorrect it is painful.

I say this not to be controversial, but to highlight an ongoing debate which will, frankly, never be satisfactorily resolved.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:18
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Ah yes, I used to buy Sounds every week back in the early 70's.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:26

I used to love Sounds. Very happy memories of those bizarre and pointless arguments about the death of punk and the rise of Oi Oi, led, of course, by that paragon of British quality journalism. Garry Bushell.

Happy days!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:26
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

For those of you who don't read German, the subtitle has the word "Auszug" meaning that it's just a part of a whole thing that we don't see. It may have been published as the most essential part (we don't know that I guess), but anyway, it isn't just not claiming that it's complete, it acknowledges explicitly that it's incomplete and that there's more to it elsewhere. So much for criticising that it doesn't have XXX.

That's all good and well but wouldn't a German rock magazine put krautrock prominently first on the list. That is what happens when people have no sense of nationalism.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 15:49
I guess there are a few DNA mismatches to be found.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 17:11

I used to love Sounds. Very happy memories of those bizarre and pointless arguments about the death of punk and the rise of Oi Oi, led, of course, by that paragon of British quality journalism. Garry Bushell.

Happy days!

I would read it WH Smith
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 19:20
Bottom line is if it's not done by Pete Frame it's probably garbage. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 19:23

I think maybe the Harmony Encyclopedia of Rock. I discovered some prog bands that way. I think his family trees showed up in other places though. The one at the top of this page I think is from the progressive rock files book by Jerry Lucky. However, I don't think that one was done by Pete Frame(I could be wrong though). 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 20:28
As incomplete as it is, I'm still impressed with the number of bands listed, as well as listing certain bands more than once if they cross into other styles, or exist in multiple time periods.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 00:17
Interestingly, most of the folks once shared a flat in London! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>