Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How accurate is this prog family tree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 01:29
It's perfect in the sense everyone will have a problem with it, which is all part of prog head psychology lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 05:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Interestingly, most of the folks once shared a flat in London! 
True but many musicians have claimed to share a flat with Jimi Hendrix also, so I have to take it with grain of salt.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 06:51
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Interestingly, most of the folks once shared a flat in London! 

AWESOME!!!LOLClapStarThumbs Up

And, where's the "Drugs" category?

P.S. If you think Prog could have/would have happened without the western mind being exposed to Indian music through the American and European tours of Ali Akbar Khan starting in 1955, and Ravi Shankar starting in 1956--not to mention the influence of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and Transcendental Meditation (1959+)--as well as the legacy set down by John Coltrane's post-1963 production, you are vastly under-prog-educated.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 08:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

If we were to make a prog rock tree in a convincing way, we need to approach this with a far bigger net..that encompasses more of the globe and more of the stuff that doesn’t align perfectly with what most folks think of as being the classic prog rock sound. A tree like that would also be able to embrace The Soft Machine, Frank Zappa, Procul Harum, Samla Mammas Manna, Amon Düül ll, Magma, The Moody Blues, Colosseum and Santana....fx. There are so many more that belong on there, because prog rock, like so many other music genres, didn’t somehow magically appear at the fripp of the switch ‘The Court of the Crimson King has been released and we now have prog rock Ladies and gentlemen!’
Hi,

As can be seen by so many of the posts on PA, I'm not sure that a "nice" family tree makes sense, specially when things are so different between America and England ... where the tree would not satisfy the many ranges and differences.

In my silly way of seeing (you know the old geezer's way!), this is what you get as an example of someone that is not aware, or considering the history of a lot of the music ... it's a chart BASED ON NUMBERS and the "top bands", and as such it really leaves behind many of the other originals that deserve to be there, that were left behind, since the person putting it together, despite the well meaning desire for it, did not have the ability to see the history, and how/when it all came about ... it's still thought by many of the folks that post here, that it all came from an album or two ... and we all KNOW that not only would not be possible, it is virtually unlikely to happen ... (I call this the Adam and Eve Theory by the way ...!!! Tongue)

I don't mind these things, but the older I get, the more I seem to notice the lack of ability to see the history of the music as an important factor in the creativity ... and seeing SF, NY, Chicago and other areas pretty much ignored is scared ... and difficult!

Edited by moshkito - April 21 2021 at 09:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 13:13
Pete Frame’s family trees started off in ZigZag magazine in the early 70’s
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 13:23
Isn't the Pete Frame family tree just about who played with who at what time? - rather than what the music actually sounded like....
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 17:57
A valiant effort, despite all the criticism launched against it. I would add the Moody Blues as the foundation of  Pop Prog, instead of Alan Parsons' Project. I understand how such categorization is useful and helpful, but people tend to get too wrapped up in doing so, since we are dealing with after-the-fact definitions. Geek
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 00:02
Ask 10 prog heads to draw up a 'prog family tree' and you'll end up with 10 quite different charts  and a hundred heated discussions!
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 07:27
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Ask 10 prog heads to draw up a 'prog family tree' and you'll end up with 10 quite different charts  and a hundred heated discussions!
Exactly how I feel. It would be an endless argument, lasting a few generations.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 07:46
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I'm IN!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 08:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm IN!
The 'lasting a few generations' part seems painfully accurate. Big smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 09:15

Hi,

I think, that many of us that are older, would likely come up with something that is very different ... many of us heard Miles, and saw many others at that time, whose strength was incredible and it went on to help further a lot of music around the world ... not that it wasn't already happening ... I really think that Miles helped put a face on it, and it was already there, ignored by record companies because many folks were black!

One can not ... create these things, without a history, and a more inclusive history ... not just a history that lasts a total of 20 years ... and dies out ... our music now has at least almost 60 years of life ... and it is scary when it is reduced to just a few years ... and it makes it easy to say that there is a serious lack of educational knowledge that would help the chart and the discussions ... beyond the social media styled comments, of course ... that don't belong in the history!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 10:08
Yes indeed, we who lived through that era (I was a teen in the 1970's) will always have a different perspective as it consumed our lives, and we bought the albums, went to the gigs, read the music publications of the day, etc.  Younger people (who weren't even born before 1980) who are discovering the genre for the first time will pick up what music history they can (possibly from sites such as this), and have quite a different perspective on it all.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:52
It's interesting. The only thing about it I really enjoy is how Muse is at a four way crossroads.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123