Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The boring "Rewriting Classics" administration pit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The boring "Rewriting Classics" administration pit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 18:17
Time for Rush, maybe. Tom Sawyer?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 04:55
Ah, I missed these last days of the Moonlit Knight... Rush is a good idea. I would say: go for it!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 13:58
Updated the list in the OP, with the Moonlit Knight rewritten. Tom Sawyer is now being worked on...

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 03:05
Updated the list in the OP with Tom Sawyer being finished. I won't be much around this coming week (as I wasn't last week), but don't hesitate to launch #21, and I'll join when I can.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 03:21
Beyond the Rocky Mountain Way we got On The Loose...

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 06:58
On The Loose got lost in the creative rewriting labyrinths of PA... What's up for #23?

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 09:21
How about ELP's Lucky Man?
Not too wordy but with lots of opportunity.
Other suggestions?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 09:27
^ I was thinking about that one before starting On The Loose, but preferred a band we haven't done yet. Anyway, we cannot eternally look for songs by artists/groups that we haven't done before, so I'm all for it.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 11:26
We may have been On the Loose, but Oh, what a Lucky Men we are...

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2021 at 10:21
Now that the Lucky Man rides no white horses no more, someone fancies putting up #24?

Edited by suitkees - August 08 2021 at 10:21

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2021 at 15:08
Time to drop the hammer !
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 08:00
Since there are lot of questions and grey areas about copyright laws, it's probably best to not post the lyrics anymore.  The safest thing to do to keep us all out of trouble is to provide a link to an outside site that provides the lyrics at the beginning of each thread.  

Sorry about this inconvenience.

Edited by TCat - August 13 2021 at 08:01

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 09:26
Seriously?? I thought this had been thoroughly discussed and agreed that ensuring the proper credits were shown at the bottom of the lyrics would more than cover any concerns, not to mention the 'Fair Use' statutes that the law allows for.
Not to belabour this too much, but a copyrighted (whatever) can be utilized for comedic or satirical purposes without penalty. And really, that's what is been done here.
If we are going to be forbidden from posting them, even with the proper credits...for my part I think I'll be done with the thread.
Nothing personal...but I find it excessive overreach, unless it can be demonstrated that there has been direct legal action as a result of our fun. I'll also reiterate my previous offer. Anyone sends any kind of threat or concern, send them my way. I'm more than happy to explain (politely) the law in this regard.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 09:55
It doesn't have to end, but just to be safe, it's probably easier to just post the link to a site with the lyrics than to post the entire set of lyrics anyway.  No need to make a big deal of it.  Besides, it's no fun when someone gets into trouble about it.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 10:14
Well, I may have a proposition... I don't think it is that problematic what we're doing here, although strictly speaking we're reproducing copyrighted content (but the same is valid for all those embedded videos on the PA forums - I guess we don't want to change those habits either...). And we're not pursuing profit either from these exercises...

What we can do in order to not spoil the fun is just delete the original lyrics in the OP of each rewriting # after the rewriting is done. This means that the original lyrics would be up here for one, at the most two weeks - no time to show up in the search results of internet and when a hypothetical letter of a copyright lawyer falls on the doormat, the lyrics will already have been deleted.
Be aware that we are more zealous regarding copyright if we're going to do this than all other forum users (myself included) who are embedding videos here...

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 10:22
I'm okay with removing the lyrics once the thread is finished.  I think it would be okay to post partial lyrics, so we could post maybe a verse or so at a time and as the "rewriting" process moves along, then the lyrics could move along also with the O.P. posting and removing the "live" lyrics.  Also, continue to cross them out as you've been doing.  There have been a few that never got finished, so if there is no activity after a week let's say, then remove the lyrics.  Continue to use the copyright info as you have been doing and if you want to give access to the entire set of lyrics, then also post a link.

I'm open to your ideas on this because I don't want to spoil the fun, but I don't want to be opened up to problems either.  

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 10:49
Also, I thought if the words were in quotes with the author posted it was okay.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 12:47
Unfortunately, there are a lot of interpretations and rules and of course not everyone is going to be aware of them all when they want to initiate their own threads.  No one really seems to know the copyright laws well enough to be considered an expert in it.  I thought I knew them, but then someone else comes along and says something else and suddenly no one knows.  Anyway, if anyone has any claims that can be supported with references, then I would like to see them. 

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 14:31
So here's the thing...this is an international website, probably stationed on servers in the USA. I'm posting from Canada. What laws apply? I'm honestly trying to understand the concern but there just isn't any THERE THERE.

Here are my investigative questions.
1 - Has there EVER in the history of the PA site been an example of legal threats for copyright infringement made against it?
2 - If so, what was the context and remedy?
3 - Certainly the OWNER(s) of the site have the final say in what's done on their platform (witness Twitter bans).
4 - Is there a 'RULES OF ENGAGEMENT' page for PA that even talks about copyrights
5 - Don't we really have bigger things to worry about like trolls voting prematurely in the Interactive Polls?

Edited by JD - August 13 2021 at 14:32
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2021 at 14:36
Those are some good questions.  Now we just need some reasoning behind them including references and etc.  In the meantime, I can take this up with the owner(s).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>