1 [1.89%]
2 [3.77%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some of my favourite horror fims
    Posted: April 24 2021 at 09:12
Some of my favourite horror or horroresque films (some might be considered more thriller or whatever) presented in glorious alphabetical order. If there is more than one version of these, feel free to vote for your favourite version. I, for instance, prefer the the 70s and 80s (respectively) versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly. I definitely am not talking about the Cage reimagining of The Wicker Man in the options, but whatever floats one's boat.

Feel free to mention others provided that you also mention and vote for one of these. Otherwise, feel free to make your own poll. Of course there are many others that I could have mentioned. And feel free to vote with limited knowledge.

Multiple votes allowed. Sorry including more than option in some, but all of these I felt compelled to include. I already paired it down as there are so many, many more that I love that quickly sprung to mind. It's not a contest and I am more interested in the comments than the votes themselves. I am happy to hear of others, but do then also like to hear something about any of my choices (positive or negative/critical).

Alien
American Werewolf in London, An or Antichrist
Babadook, The
Basket Case
Baxter
Carrie
Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, The
Don't Look Now
Eraserhead
Exorcist, The
Eyes Without a Face
Fly, The
Friday the 13th
Girl with All the Gifts, The
Hellraiser
Hereditary
Hunger, The
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Jaws
Let the Right One In
Lost Highway
Nosferatu
Omen, The
Only Lovers Left Alive
Pan's Labyrinth
Poltergeist
Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
Shining, The
Silence of the Lambs, The, Suspiria or Seven
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The
Thing, The
Under the Skin or Videodrome
Village of the Damned
Wicker Man, The
Witch, The

Edited by Logan - April 24 2021 at 10:54
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 09:45
There are some that I'm not aware of in your list. Or perhaps, I just can't remember the names. They are few though.

Off the options, I'm voting for:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The
Shining, The
Wicker Man, The
Lost Highway
Fly, The
Suspiria

(6 should suffice.)

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 24 2021 at 09:50
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 09:55
Hi,

Hmmm ... it is not exactly a genre that was for me a lot ... even though I am extremely well read and knowledgeable about the history of "Gothic Literature" going all the way back to Horace Walpole and Ann Radcliffe ... and pretty much culminating with Anne Rice, and specially her erotic material that is far better written and delves into vampirism in a much more modern way ... and makes much better sense of the whole thing from a sort of historical perspective, and what it was all about.

That it became a sort of "anti-Christian" thing for a long time, is the thing that is bizarre, but I think the Church itself started it hundreds and hundreds of years ago by making painters show cherubs and then the evil side as maniacal beasts ... which they could not control, obviously! Which gives the whole thing a new perspective ... one was saintly and the other one an erotic crazy ... if the paintings have a say on it. Thus, the inevitable literature of it, shows a lot of that, with some smaller details of creativity now and then.

There was one film I remember, that was interesting and helped me to get into some of the horror films, and it was BLACK SUNDAY (original title) with Barbara Steele, and it was Guy Guden (Space Pirate Radio) that got me to see that and eventually get me into the HAMMER series of films, which I enjoyed despite the stories sometimes being a bit this and that ... the quality of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, added a dimension that American films did not quite have, and too many of them went for the show off and later the meat market, and in some ways, this took the sails out of things for me. 

That is not to say that the guts and gore was not there ... Lord Polidori's book is very gory, however, he was a surgeon, and he put all that blood and guts into his story ... but right with him, and Lord Byron, Mary Shelley wrote one of the cleanest of all books, and next to the stories of "Dracula", her book is the best known of all stories, and in essence it is not a horror story at all, which I think was intentional, although it is thought that a woman writing guts and gore at that time, would not be appreciated much or would be ignored, I imagine.

After that, I am not sure that I was into the horror thing as much ... ROSEMARY'S BABY is mentioned and I am not sure that it should be, although its subject matter is a point ... but what made that film valuable was less the story and its contents, but the way it was shot ... with some very strange camera angles, many of which became famous in the horror genre ... but the film, in many ways, is best known for a shot that takes seconds ... that got the whole audience in the theater to move their heads to the right to see what was behind that door, which you could not see. The idea gave us the moment in the film that was the idea that the birth took place.

Some other films I like, but not sure that we should consider them horror films, although in many ways they fit:

Nicolas Roeg -- Don't Look Now // Stunning film visually as well with too many things that really prevent you from knowing what is going on.

Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell --Performance // Probably one of the best films EVER made, and a very difficult one, since trying to explain it is nearly impossible, but the style, the music and its completeness is insane, and the side effect was that one piece of music probably gave MTV the idea ...

Ken Russell -- The Devils // Not exactly a horror film, but one that in many ways shows us many of the horrors of the church at the time of Richelieu in France, and also gives us some amazing performances by most of the Royal Shakespeare Company and Oliver Reed.

Donald Cammell -- Demon Seed // A crazy film that featured Julie Christie being imprisoned and a robot that was insisting on getting her pregnant.

Harry Kumell -- Daughters of Darkness // I will allow the ladies (Baldies) to write on this one

Patrice Chereau -- Queen Margot // A story of the French Royal house and how a mother killed her children and what not and it involves a lot of what happened to the people in Brittany that Alan Stivell has written and sang about. 

Toni Scott -- The Hunger // Fine film, even though many did not like David Bowie, Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon in it ... but it was well done.

There are others, but at this moment I can not add much ... I am not a great fan of things like The Exorcist, or some of the more American made films as I do not find them artistic enough ... if I can say that.

Edited by moshkito - April 30 2021 at 10:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 09:56
Going to add some, including Don't Look Now as that should have sprung to mind.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 09:59
Alien is a solid win as its broke bounderies in both horror and sci/fi and held no victims. It is cøear cut effective jump scare and sophistocated sci-fi for alot of money
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:04
The Shining.
More because of it's initial impact when it was first released than it is now for me.

These also deserve a mention...

Edited by JD - April 24 2021 at 10:05
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:06
Daniel Kaluuya in that Get Out trailer (a film I haven't seen) was the main character in one of my very favourite Black Mirror episodes, and was in one of my very favourite dramedies (a sort of horror comedy), Psychoville.

For fun, a few of these recut as comedy/ romance/ family trailers:

Edited by Logan - April 24 2021 at 10:11
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:16
Psycho and Texas from the list.

Others
Evil Dead
Dead Alive
House of 1000 Corpses
Saw (first few)
Nightmare on Elm Street (first few)
Hellraiser
Get Out
I Spit on Your Grave

And one I don't have guts for, heard its brutal, "A Serbian Tale". And others I forgot to mention. Love horror and thrillers.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 24 2021 at 10:17
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:30
Other than Get Out,, I have seen all of those (well, only the first Saw).

I listed my top ten here years ago and I’m sure Hellraiser was on it. While there are many others that I could have included, forgetting Hellraiser is for me unforgivable even when I did prepare this list very quickly. I love the sequel as well. That need additional g as it is one of my very, very favourites. The Lost Boys is one not mentioned that I almost added. And It. And The Kingdom I had meant to add. Also Event Horizon.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2021 at 10:35
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:31
Which "Village of the Damned" do you mean? The original or the remake? And which "Nosferatu"? And which "The Fly"? And which "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

Edited by BaldFriede - April 24 2021 at 10:35

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:37
Like I said, you can vote for any version you like, but the one I was thinking of is from 1960. I don’t think I’ve seen any other version.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Other than Get Out,, I have seen all of those (well, only the first Saw)
So is A Serbian Tale as disturbing as the reviews?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:43
It is a disturbing, nasty film. Someone was appalled quite recently when I mentioned it in a joking fashion. I’m usually not that into extreme stuff.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Harry Kumell -- Daughters of Darkness // I will allow the ladies (Baldies) to write on this one

"Daughters of Darkness" (original title "Les Lèvres Rouges" meaning "The Red Lips") is indeed a good horror movie by Harry Kümel, but his "Malpertuis" based on the book of the same title by Belgian author Jean Ray is even better.

Here a trailer of the movie:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 11:17
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Which "Village of the Damned" do you mean? The original or the remake? And which "Nosferatu"? And which "The Fly"? And which "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

On this device I am now I am having some trouble editing, and I didn’t catch your edit before, so I’ll try to respond to all of this. First of, like I said in the OP.l

“If there is more than one version of these, feel free to vote for your favourite version. I, for instance, prefer the the 70s and 80s (respectively) versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly. I definitely am not talking about the Cage reimagining of The Wicker Man in the options, but whatever floats one's boat.”

If you’re asking for my favourites, well we’ve talked about The Fly and Invasion of the Body Snatchers before, unless I’m mistaking you for Jean. I know you, one of you at least, far prefers the originals of those whereas I prefer later versions, maybe because those are what I first saw. I recently rewatched the original The Fly, by the way.

The version of The Village of the Damned I really like is I think from 1960. I wanted people to choose whichever version they like. I won’t get into much why I find the Cronenberg The Fly more sytaisfying than the original or why I love that invasion with Donald Sutherland cause I have gone gone into depth on that before.

As for Nosferatu, I was thinking of the original, but again, people can choose whichever version they prefer.

I’m surprised that you didn’t vote for Rosemary’s Baby. I rewatched that last night.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2021 at 11:22
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 11:23
I prefer psychological horror to real horror, and with that in mind, here's my Top 10:-

1. The Shining
2. The Wicker Man
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Dead Calm
5. The Vanishing
6. Perfect Strangers
7. Cape Fear (the 1991 remake with Robert di Niro)
8. The Fog
9. Open Water 
10. Misery

11. The Fly (the 1986 remake with Jeff Goldblum)
12. The Invasion (a 2007 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers starring Daniel Craig & Nicole Kidman)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 24 2021 at 11:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 11:36
Your top two are probably the first two that came to mind. I love psychological horror and folk horror. I’m not so much into the more gruesome stuff (was more into that as a teen). Love No Country for Old Men, although I woukdnt have thought if it fir this poll. Love Misery. Cape Fear didn’t do it for me.

Oh, and if someone doesn’t read the OP, and asks which The Wicker Man, well for me it’s very obviously the original as evidenced by my avatar. Some asked me about which one I mean in another topic of mine, and I indicated, am I thinking of the remake, hell, no.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2021 at 11:37
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 11:39
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Alien is a solid win as its broke bounderies in both horror and sci/fi and held no victims. It is cøear cut effective jump scare and sophistocated sci-fi for alot of money

While I am more interested in the comments than the votes, please do give it a vote. I’m actually really interested to see which options get no votes or comments in this multiple choice poll.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2021 at 11:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 12:13

It is a disturbing, nasty film. Someone was appalled quite recently when I mentioned it in a joking fashion. I’m usually not that into extreme stuff.
Thanks. Hostel was difficult for me to watch so, I think I'll pass on A Serbian Film.

Paul mentioned Misery. I liked that, but it was almost too much.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 24 2021 at 12:15
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 12:18

Your top two are probably the first two that came to mind. I love psychological horror and folk horror. I’m not so much into the more gruesome stuff (was more into that as a teen). Love No Country for Old Men, although I woukdnt have thought if it fir this poll. Love Misery. Cape Fear didn’t do it for me.

Oh, and if someone doesn’t read the OP, and asks which The Wicker Man, well for me it’s very obviously the original as evidenced by my avatar. Some asked me about which one I mean in another topic of mine, and I indicated, am I thinking of the remake, hell, no.

I wasn't even aware there had been a remake of The Wicker Man. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>