3 [5.66%]
1 [1.89%]
2 [3.77%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 12:20
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It is a disturbing, nasty film. Someone was appalled quite recently when I mentioned it in a joking fashion. I’m usually not that into extreme stuff.
Thanks. Hostel was difficult for me to watch so, I think I'll pass on A Serbian Film.

Paul mentioned Misery. I liked that, but it was almost too much.

I know exactly what you mean. Anyone who's seen Misery will never forget the "hobbling" scene with the sledgehammer. Ouch
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 12:24
^ You two better not read the book!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 12:32
^The only Stephen King book I had to put down and walk away from when I read that passage. I though I was going to get sick. But I think it was a bit of PTSD I had from a horrific ankle injury I had suffered as a teen.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 12:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I prefer psychological horror to real horror, and with that in mind, here's my Top 10:-

1. The Shining
2. The Wicker Man
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Dead Calm
5. The Vanishing
6. Perfect Strangers
7. Cape Fear (the 1991 remake with Robert di Niro)
8. The Fog
9. Open Water 
10. Misery

11. The Fly (the 1986 remake with Jeff Goldblum)
12. The Invasion (a 2007 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers starring Daniel Craig & Nicole Kidman)

I definitely prefer the originals of 11 and 12. The "Help Me" scene of the original of "The Fly" alone is better than the whole remake. The remake relies too much on FX and too little on story.

I am generally not fond of remakes. I definitely prefer Robert Mitchum to Robert de Niro as the villain in "Cape Fear". Mitchum has a creepiness that de Niro can't match.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 13:31
I've seen all the films in the list and I do like a decent horror. My choices would be Alien and The Thing (remake) as I like the scenarios where people are trapped somewhere and can't get out. Others that I like not on the list are The Cabin in the Woods (mainly because it went somewhere unexpected) and The Cube (and its sequels).
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 13:53
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

I've seen all the films in the list and I do like a decent horror. My choices would be Alien and The Thing (remake) as I like the scenarios where people are trapped somewhere and can't get out. Others that I like not on the list are The Cabin in the Woods (mainly because it went somewhere unexpected) and The Cube (and its sequels).

You would like "Malpertuis" then because that's the central theme of the movie, with a double twist ending.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 10:59
I like/love about 1/3 of the films, 1/3 I haven't seen and 1/3 I need to see again to make up my mind. 

Outside the list I must mention The Hills Have Eyes (original, haven't seen the remake) and Night Of The Living Dead. Oh, and Blair Witch Project, too. 

As for The Fly, I prefer the remake, it might actually be in my top 10 films, but as Friede said above, the "help me" scene is great. I find it difficult to watch and listen to actually. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 11:17
I'm not at all a fan of the horror genre, much more of the thriller. That said, I've seen most of the films of this list (actually, all but two), also because many are just major classics... One of my favourites from this list is Lost Highway, which imo is a thriller, although it also exploits some codes of the horror genre.
Other than that, the list might be long: Doctor Caligari, Don't Look Now, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, The Silence of the Lambs, Videodrome...
Since Caligari got teamed up with Roeg's film, it definitely gets my vote, together with The Silence of the Lambs - this one is really creapy - and Videodrome, for its off-beat cult value...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 11:28
Yep, Lost Highway I would sooner call a thriller too. It's the horroresque I meant with "Some of my favourite horror or horroresque films (some might be considered more thriller or whatever)...." I too am not really a horror fan, but there are many films and TV shows with horror elements/ qualities that I love.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 13:38
10. Seven
9. Alien
8. Hellraiser
7. Village of the Damned
6. The Fly (original)
5. An American Werewolf in London
4. The Omen
3. Jaws
2. Poltergeist
1. The Wicker Man (original)
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 08:02
I like a lot of these films, but I voted for Alien and The Silence Of The Lambs as I did actually find them quite scary!

Really must see The Wicker Man - why have I not already?!!

I also have to add Tom Cruise's War Of The Worlds film.  I find the first half hour or so in particular to be genuinely frightening....

Edited by essexboyinwales - April 30 2021 at 08:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12