Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5.1 mixes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.1 mixes
    Posted: April 25 2021 at 14:04
Seems like 5.1 mixes have decreased significantly from ten years ago. Is this a dying format?

Do the majority on this forum have a 5.1 system and listen to music that way exclusively?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 25 2021 at 14:05
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 14:10
Yes to the first question, no to the second.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 15:47
Never tried it. Is it any good? Better experience than good ol' stereo mixes?

Edited by projeKct - April 25 2021 at 15:48
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 16:38
Specialty audio format for those with lots of disposable income !
It's the 3D BluRay of audio.
I doubt the majority of any particular group have or listen exclusively to 5.1. Besides, hasn't it been replaced by 7.1?

Now it's the Gillette Fusion 5 of audio. LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 17:18
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Specialty audio format for those with lots of disposable income !
It's the 3D BluRay of audio.
I doubt the majority of any particular group have or listen exclusively to 5.1. Besides, hasn't it been replaced by 7.1?

Now it's the Gillette Fusion 5 of audio. LOL
5.1 Blu-ray mixes and set-up are affordable. Audiophile, LP systems are not. Hell, one LP costs more than a 5.1 disc. And yes, it's 7.1 now, called Dolby Atmos. Wilson is living in the past with his 5.1 mixes. It seems no one here digs it. I used to love it but anymore I listen in stereo, as less releases are mixed in surround.
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 17:19
Stereo is a magnificent format, and has been so for 7 decades.  
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 19:55
Dolby Atmos is actually 5.1.4 or 7.1.4, the .4 are the Atmos effect speakers in the ceiling. I've never had a HT setup to be able to listen to 5.1 music, HT setups are generally not for music listening at least the quality of sound is not as engaging as a traditional 2-channel setup, digital or analog.
Besides with a well setup 2-channel system, optimal speaker placement you can experience 3D soundstage as well very wide soundstage. On my system, the "running man" on DSOtM starts in the middle, moves to 180 deg to my left then back to center. Effects, echo, reverb on traditional stereo mixes are more than enough and are more natural than thru 5 or 7 speakers.....We only have two ears for cryin outloud.

You can have a very good sounding 2-channel setup, digital or analog for very reasonable prices. It seems prog music is losing its 5.1 audience, the fad is over.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 20:06
^If the fad is over, why does Steven Wilson keep mixing in 5.1? And why do people buy it? Don't all his remix/remasters come with a 5.1 mix?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 20:20
You may as well ask "Why do they still make lava lamps?".
Because it's 'cool' and someone will buy it.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 23:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes to the first question, no to the second.

This.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 03:03
5.1 dying ??? I don't know about that for sure but it seems to be pretty active with some Progressive Rock bands. For me I don't care about popularity and fashion, they said that Prog rock is dying for years but we can still can find some great music, same with 5.1 mixes. I have been listening to a lot of surround mixes in the last 5 years and I learned about the different mixes and i can say that is a new way to discover your favorite albums of the past and some new material as well. Steven Wilson, Robert Redd and Bruce Soord have done some great mixes and I can only hope that many more musicians take the same route in the future.

Edited by rdtprog - April 26 2021 at 03:04
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 17:25
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^If the fad is over, why does Steven Wilson keep mixing in 5.1? And why do people buy it? Don't all his remix/remasters come with a 5.1 mix?

Because it allows him to charge more for a CD box set. I don't think people are buying a separate 5.1 mix disc, it comes in a CD deluxe box set, so you get it by default.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 18:07
^There are plenty of 5.1 mixes that come without a box set. They are sold as Blu-ray only. I know you are an audiophile and prefer LP's, but how many surround mixes have you listened to? Two that stand out for me are Stupid Dream and TAAB Part II. Also, curious how much moolah do you have invested in your stereo system and have you acoustically treated your listening room? You need to invite me over to experience this sonic nirvana you brag about.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 26 2021 at 18:11
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 19:21
The 5.1 mix codec is definitely a niche market much like anything else that exudes the audiophile aroma of things.
Keep in mind there are many upon many communities of people that love 5.1 audio and guess what? I’m one of them. I Rock that sh*t just about every weekend.
It has its advantages.

Edited by progbethyname - April 26 2021 at 19:21
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 19:23

Seems like 5.1 mixes have decreased significantly from ten years ago. Is this a dying format?

Do the majority on this forum have a 5.1 system and listen to music that way exclusively?

Not exclusively, but I can say when it comes to serious outward listening experiences, I go with 5.1.
:)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 19:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Because it allows him to charge more for a CD box set. I don't think people are buying a separate 5.1 mix disc, it comes in a CD deluxe box set, so you get it by default.
This.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 20:13
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Not exclusively, but I can say when it comes to serious outward listening experiences, I go with 5.1.
:)
Awesome. What are some of your favorites?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 08:41
Just listened to Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase. in DTS 5.1. Wow. Amazing. Takes the listening experience to another level that can't be experienced in stereo.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 09:50

Just listened to Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase. in DTS 5.1. Wow. Amazing. Takes the listening experience to another level that can't be experienced in stereo.
I have all his albums up to To The Bone on DVD/BD. Grace For Drowning is definitely my favourite Surround mix, very atmospheric.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 10:03
Anybody here Alan Parsons 5.1 mixes?

So far, you can get Eye in the sky, Ammonia Avenue and Tales of mystery.

All amazing. Blu ray audio. Terrific stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>