Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deleting .jpg file from File Manager

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deleting .jpg file from File Manager
    Posted: April 27 2021 at 09:10
So here's one I haven't encountered before.
I uploaded an image to my file manager that contained a '+' sign.
Not only wouldn't it allow it to be put into a post, but now I can't delete it or change it's name in order to try and delete it.

Fourth file down.
Any suggestions?

Edited by JD - April 27 2021 at 09:10
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 13:18
I tried saving a jpg with a + like you with the same results. Also tried deleting your file myself and was unsuccessful. I don't see any admin backdoor to clean up user files either. I think you have vaporized 33KB of your FM space. And now I'm down 8KB myself.

I have used _ and - before with no problem.

Anyway...I don't recommend it anymore. Wish we had a way of warning people.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 14:08
I hadn't even noticed it when I uploaded the file, only when I tried to publish it.

Thanks for trying.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 17:19
Ohh man, I had a bunch of images there back in the day........I finally figured out how to delete them but alas I don't remember. I'll try and go in and figure it out again.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 17:21
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Not only wouldn't it allow it to be put into a post, but now I can't delete it or change it's name in order to try and delete it.

Fourth file down.
Any suggestions?

So I only had 2 images in my file manager. I clicked one of them, hit Delete File and it is gone......so not sure, works for me. Although I remember back in the day like I said it did not work.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 17:29
^Yes, deleting files is not a problem. Unless there is a "+" in the file name, is JD has discovered and I have verified. The plus sign also prevents the file from being used. 

I would say its probably best to avoid any characters in file names other than _ or - as we know they work.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 07:08
I think this bug could be reported here: https://forums.webwiz.net/web-wiz-forums_forum1.html

PA's version of this forum software is almost 7 years old. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 07:53
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Fourth file down.
Any suggestions?

Exactly the same happened to me too!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 15:32
I never even knew this existed. So, if you upload a photo to any post (eg, as I have been doing in my NZ Music Month posts), does it stay in my File Manager? And if so, does that mean deleting it from my File Manager will also delete it from my post? What is the purpose of the file manager? Excuse me if these are dumb questions, but this has me rather confuzzled.... 🤔

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 17:21
So, if you upload a photo to any post (eg, as I have been doing in my NZ Music Month posts), does it stay in my File Manager?

YES

And if so, does that mean deleting it from my File Manager will also delete it from my post?

ALSO YES

What is the purpose of the file manager?

It's just a storage place for images as far as I know. There is a max of 10MB storage available per member I think.

Edited by JD - May 01 2021 at 17:29
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:31
One of the advantages of the file manager is that images tend to be more stable than linking out into the Internet where web pages and images are in a constant state of flux, unless you're linking to a more stable site that rarely changes (like maybe the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive or some site that utilizes permalinks)
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply