Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daily Doug Reaction
    Posted: April 29 2021 at 11:14
I have been watching Doug Helvering's (The Daily Doug) reactions for several months now. He has a doctorate in music, is a composer and well he knows musical construction very well. He posted this one yesterday and I thought it very entertaining/educational considering the musical piece is in his wheel house. I really enjoy how he breaks music down and really gives a perspective that in many cases I don't see/hear or pick up on listens.

When I got the new LTE3 album the first song I played was Rhapsody In Blue, as I wanted to hear what/how the arranged the pc and I was very pleased with what they did. It may be my favorite song that LTE has recorded.

Enjoy.....

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 13:04
Clap
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 13:41
I liked his reactions to Machine Messiah and La Villa Strangiato. Haven't had the time to watch more, but hopefully will in the future.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 14:19
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I liked his reactions to Machine Messiah and La Villa Strangiato. Haven't had the time to watch more, but hopefully will in the future.

I like how he suggested that "2112" should be made into a stage show, in how it was composed by Rush.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 14:52
Yes, he's incredibly fun!  He's going to be interviewed in an upcoming friend's prog and related show (DJ Tony Live)on House of Prog Internet Radio. Saturday, 22 May from 10AM - 1PM PDT.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 16:43
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Yes, he's incredibly fun!  He's going to be interviewed in an upcoming friend's prog and related show (DJ Tony Live)on House of Prog Internet Radio. Saturday, 22 May from 10AM - 1PM PDT.

Nice! Thanks for sharing
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 16:56
You're very welcome.  Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 18:01
...oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about our own PresDoug!!  I was looking forward to some more trivia about Triumvirat!  Tongue
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 18:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:06
Very nice and funny.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:44
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

...oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about our own PresDoug!!  I was looking forward to some more trivia about Triumvirat!  Tongue
PresDoug, that's the guy. I was just trying to remember who the Triumvirat guy was. I don't think he's been around for a while.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 08:41
I love this guy, he may be a different breed of Doug, but he's one of the few reaction style channels that actually have a good value and depth to them along with JustJP.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 02:12
I was wondering when the Daily Doug would pop up on ProgArchives. He's seriously amazing. He provides insights into song structures and meanings that I had never considered, even if I know how to play the song myself. What a pro!
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 18:34
I just watched his review and reaction of Close to the Edge and wondered if someone had already posted a thread about him.  Love this reaction video and how he tries to keep up with key changes, especially his reaction when Wakeman's organ solo comes in.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 18:41
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I just watched his review and reaction of Close to the Edge and wondered if someone had already posted a thread about him.  Love this reaction video and how he tries to keep up with key changes, especially his reaction when Wakeman's organ solo comes in.

video removed for space
  That one's my favourite so far of his.  Smile  Wonder what he'd think of Wakeman using a paint roller to achieve a gliss on the organ on that tv show version of "Hangman and the Papist?"  

Edited by Snicolette - May 11 2021 at 18:42
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 23:11

Great clip and these videos are always fun!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 00:47
Yeah, it was cool.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 02:55
Cool guy! His reaction video for my favourite band's epic "The Odyssey" (being the final song of the album with the same title) was immensely fun to watch.

Though, my first recommendation for him to "react" would be Rediscovery, Pt. II (The New Mythology) instead, which is the closing song of the previous Symphony X album entitled V: The New Mythology Suite. 

Yet, The Odyssey is less "wild", so lest one might get bewildered instead of bedazzled if confronted with "my" prominent choice first; the Greek epic adaptation is the safer choice and whoever recommended it did the right thing, seemingly. Oh, and the guy is "classical", FFS! LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 10:49
Watched yesterday, by coincidence
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 15:08

Jamel aka Jamal had a great reaction to CTTE, I posted that one already here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>