Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 18:04
Settle in for a long one.....great analysis of Gilmour Live in Gdansk~Echoes

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 21:33
Hi,

Very nice indeed ... and I wish that more "progressive music" was studied and looked at a bit more in this way, so that one would know the difference between "music" and a "song" ....

Very nice indeed Clap
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 19:11
Ok, this is another long one......DT~Octavarium. I'm really enjoying his analysis not only the musical composition parts but also the lyric breakdown. His excitement over the pc is infectious, you can really tell he loves digging deep into all the musical passages and trying to figure out how they got there.

Doug is doing a great job of explaining all these songs and their grand scale and what the artists are doing that maybe some of us may take for granted because we may not fully understand it.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 07:45
Hi,

Nice again ... DT is a strange band ...  folks got attached to the early version and they did not get/understand that stuff that came later ... and in many ways, and this shows it, MUSICALLY, it is way better constructed and defined ... and unlike many bands, they used actual instruments instead of sound bites (vst's), and in some ways, that kind of shows a level of musicianship that is not always associated with a rock band at all.

Their live album with an orchestra is also one that is very strong ... even if it is not an album that most fans like, but one can quickly see the musical ability of the members and what they are attempting to do ... 

It's a great band, really ... even if sometimes it seems "stuck" on a sound type (guitar thrashing -- NOW) where as in those days it was more about the composition than it was about anything else, although I think that keeping it together and making it a "symphonic" work, was quite intentional and a comment about the "songs" and "hits" that too many fans wanted!

Very nice stuff ... and the album is very good!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 15:33
Well I for sure am not a fan of the current direction, both musical and style. I much prefer the material prior to ADTOE, most of ADTOE I do like. The most recent albums are Dead for me.

I have always been a fan of Octavarium.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 08:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well I for sure am not a fan of the current direction, both musical and style. I much prefer the material prior to ADTOE, most of ADTOE I do like. The most recent albums are Dead for me.
Hi,

As much as I like the band and have seen them twice, I really think that they need to spread out the musical abilities a bit better, and help show the compositional side of the band ... I think that the bass is under-utilized, and the keyboards are almost 2nd to anything, and the guitar is too much out front, specially when it does need to be. That, btw, could be a mix issue ... but seeing them thrash it out in concert kinda takes away the great stuff they had done before ... at least that is how I see it!

Edited by moshkito - May 16 2021 at 08:03
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 08:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

As much as I like the band and have seen them twice, I really think that they need to spread out the musical abilities a bit better, and help show the compositional side of the band ... I think that the bass is under-utilized, and the keyboards are almost 2nd to anything, and the guitar is too much out front, specially when it does need to be. That, btw, could be a mix issue ... but seeing them thrash it out in concert kinda takes away the great stuff they had done before ... at least that is how I see it!
DT records are not known for being good/great sounding records. The mix is usually subpar to bad, the records/CDs are brickwalled and that is a main reason why the bass is buried in the mix. They use mixing engineers who are not well known for quality work, as it shows.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 10:26
^ They currently have a new album in the works. Not much is known but from my understanding, it's almost all lengthier songs, all the members sound extremely excited about it and there's one shorter track that was described as a cinematic break to the chaos. They're filming videos/promo photos this week, Jordan recently said they'd probably be back on the road in September/October so maybe a mid-late summer release date?

But what's really important, is on the production front you have Jimmy T who did the recent live album doing all the sound tech/recording, and it's getting mixed by the guy who did JPs solo album: Andy Sneap. This guy is the real deal, great track record, so i'm hoping we get one of their best sounding records from the band in years. The previous guy from the last 3 albums, "Richard Chycki" has proven to be pretty incompetent, especially on Self Titled and Astonishing. I though the most recent was better, but the vocals on DOT were very reverb drowned. The vinyl/blu-ray master of that album is actually different and it sounds a lot better, much more clarity.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 09:55
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ They currently have a new album in the works. Not much is known but from my understanding, it's almost all lengthier songs, all the members sound extremely excited about it and there's one shorter track that was described as a cinematic break to the chaos. They're filming videos/promo photos this week, Jordan recently said they'd probably be back on the road in September/October so maybe a mid-late summer release date?

But what's really important, is on the production front you have Jimmy T who did the recent live album doing all the sound tech/recording, and it's getting mixed by the guy who did JPs solo album: Andy Sneap. This guy is the real deal, great track record, so i'm hoping we get one of their best sounding records from the band in years. The previous guy from the last 3 albums, "Richard Chycki" has proven to be pretty incompetent, especially on Self Titled and Astonishing. I though the most recent was better, but the vocals on DOT were very reverb drowned. The vinyl/blu-ray master of that album is actually different and it sounds a lot better, much more clarity.
We will see....the earlier records like BC&SL and Octavarium were done at Sterling Sound and are much better, since that mastering lab is the real deal, for real! Octavarium was mastered by George Marino, a legend (RIP). I just don't get how/why Petrucci would allow the last couple records to go out sounding like they do, they must not have an ear for high end sound........probably all iPhone and ear buds.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 21:42
Reminder that Doug will be live in an interview with Tony Romero on DJ Tony Live on House of Prog Radio, tomorrow, Saturday, 22 May, from 1PM - 4PM EDT.  Link to House of Prog:  https://houseofprog.com/
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 00:41
This Friday post is really good! Doug is trying to figure out and understand the lyrics and the story, what does it mean?? LOL
His breakdown of these progressive rock classics/masterpieces is really enjoyable and educational.

Enjoy......

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 02:19

I just don't get how/why Petrucci would allow the last couple records to go out sounding like they do, they must not have an ear for high end sound........probably all iPhone and ear buds.
Not sure if that's Petrucci's call or the record label. Anyway, playing loud music for decades ruins hearing. It may be that John thinks it sounds good brickwalled.

I wish Doug would mention sound quality in his reactions.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 22 2021 at 02:20
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 11:19
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I just don't get how/why Petrucci would allow the last couple records to go out sounding like they do, they must not have an ear for high end sound........probably all iPhone and ear buds.
Not sure if that's Petrucci's call or the record label. Anyway, playing loud music for decades ruins hearing. It may be that John thinks it sounds good brickwalled.

No, he is listening thru a laptop on Bose headphones via a low fi YouTube stream.....I really enjoy and appreciate his deep knowledge of music and composition, I am learning so much what to listen for. I spun Suppers Ready last night and listened for what he does and I picked up the bass notes/pattern he mentioned, could have been taurus pedals.

I found interesting that he mentioned what I thought was an organ he said was a piano with no sustain to the keys........I still think its an organ.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 14:17

No, he is listening thru a laptop on Bose headphones via a low fi YouTube stream.....I really enjoy and appreciate his deep knowledge of music and composition, I am learning so much what to listen for. I spun Suppers Ready last night and listened for what he does and I picked up the bass notes/pattern he mentioned, could have been taurus pedals.

I found interesting that he mentioned what I thought was an organ he said was a piano with no sustain to the keys........I still think its an organ.

One of the instrumental sections that confused Doug was Hackett playing his Les Paul through a volume pedal, Doug couldn't figure out what the sound was.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 14:20
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

One of the instrumental sections that confused Doug was Hackett playing his Les Paul through a volume pedal, Doug couldn't figure out what the sound was.
Yea, I think that is why he said he needs to listen to it many more times.......I think he misses a lot due to talking over the music. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 14:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

...oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about our own PresDoug!!  I was looking forward to some more trivia about Triumvirat!  Tongue

PresDoug, that's the guy. I was just trying to remember who the Triumvirat guy was. I don't think he's been around for a while.
a great guy. Hope he’s doing well.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 13:13
He did Close To The Edge a couple weeks ago.
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 18:14
Nice breakdown of this excellent song. For me he hits the nail on the head with the tone of this song and subject matter. Again Doug's expertise with composition is a great learning tool for me.
Enjoy! 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 18:19
It was well done and fun to see someone hear it for the first time.  I prefer the studio version, but to me, any incarnation of King Crimson is spectacular.

Edited by Snicolette - May 25 2021 at 18:20
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 19:04
I agree Nickie, nothing beats the grittiness of the original where it feels like the song just scrubs your soul raw, though I thoroughly enjoy seeing KC perform live every time.  

I don't very often name a song a favorite, but "Starless" is my favorite KC song and KC is my favorite band, so read into that whatever you may Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>