Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 19:19
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I agree Nickie, nothing beats the grittiness of the original where it feels like the song just scrubs your soul raw, though I thoroughly enjoy seeing KC perform live every time.  

I don't very often name a song a favorite, but "Starless" is my favorite KC song and KC is my favorite band, so read into that whatever you may Wink
  Jakko is very good, but I'm a big sucker for John Wetton as a singer.  His vocals were absolutely as anguished as the piece.  And Bruford did the work of three drummers.  That's my favourite configuration, Fripp/Wetton/Cross/Bruford and the combination I saw quite a few times, live.  From that incarnation (although technically Cross wasn't in the band with Red, but did appear on it), Starless is also one of my favourites, Book of Saturday, Lark's Tongues (both parts), The Night Watch, Red and Great Deceiver are all up there, too.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 19:57
Wetton's the man!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 20:37
I did enjoy that Starless daily Doug reaction video -- thinks he's just about ready to join the Prog dark side now. Soon up I hope is Doug reacts to Magma's Theusz Hamtaahk. Wouldn't want to throw him off the avant prog deep end with Henry Cow's Western Culture, Univers Zero's Heresie, or even Igor Wakhévitch's Docteur Faust.

That's actually the first video I;ve seen of his, so I don't know much of what he's done. Two I really think he might appreciate are Bubu's Anabelas and U Totem's self-titled. I think Bubu would be a cool one considering some of the stuff he has already done.

Edited by Logan - May 25 2021 at 20:39
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 09:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I did enjoy that Starless daily Doug reaction video -- thinks he's just about ready to join the Prog dark side now. Soon up I hope is Doug reacts to Magma's Theusz Hamtaahk. Wouldn't want to throw him off the avant prog deep end with Henry Cow's Western Culture, Univers Zero's Heresie, or even Igor Wakhévitch's Docteur Faust.

That's actually the first video I;ve seen of his, so I don't know much of what he's done. Two I really think he might appreciate are Bubu's Anabelas and U Totem's self-titled. I think Bubu would be a cool one considering some of the stuff he has already done.

Ha!!! That might be too much for him, or if anything too much for his audience. I suspect he would dissect the music and enjoy the chaotic mess it might be but I suspect the audience will not find it too entertaining. 

And now his Royal Heiness Fripp/DGM has blocked the video, which to me is stoooopid. These reactions should enhance and educate the casual listener to what great music is, bands from the early 70s should be happy someone is actually paying attention to what they did 50 yrs ago.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 11:33
Hi,

Sad to see RF remove the video. Sadder still that he disapproves of folks talking about his/KC's music theory within a class. There is a lot to share that folks can learn, but maybe he has a reason for it ... well, he has not closed down Rachel Flowers versions of his group's stuff ... so there might be something within it that Doug said that wasn't right or cool ... is my guess. Classical folks have a tendency at times to be a bit stuffy, and Doug has been reasonably clean most of the time, but appreciative of the greater/better efforts all around (Echoes ... ) ... and I don't think that KC is his kind of band, based on the material he has done ... 

I would like to see him do more King Crimson, provided that Mr. RF allows it ... KC is very classical in its "approach" to music, making sure it is just right and such, whereas a lot of other rock bands ... have too many moments "all over the place" (as Daily Doug says), and I don't think that KC is about ... all over the place. Going back to their first album, the music was superbly defined and played and to this day, that clarity has stood up beautifully ... probably one of the few bands where the original STILL sounds magnificent.

I like him, he's good ... but he has not taken on some tougher things ... for example ... if he tried to do the title cut from the album YETI (AD2) and then even Soap Shop Rock, I really think that it will throw him off since the inspiration is likely to be found very different than any rock roots. Likewise, things like Tangerine Dream, let's say Stratosfear ... would be something that removes a lot of rock conventions (all over the stuff he does and then some ... too much for my taste!) ... and provides something else, probably closer to classical music than the (way too) metronomic rock music! For that matter, you think he can do one of the long cuts by The Doors? ... hmmmm 

Edited by moshkito - May 26 2021 at 11:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 17:23
ELP~Tarkus (with sheet music!!)

Enjoy Clap

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 08:09
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 09:19
Awesome!!! Dougie is getting his musical doctorate geek on in the last two videos LOL. Having played the clarinet as a young kid in school for several years I get a good portion of what he is describing/teaching us. Reading sheet music is where I need to do some catch up on, part of it is coming back to me.....

I like that he is using sheet music as it allows him to "see" what is going on with notes, chords and time much better than having to try and guess and listen for it.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:21
And here I thought this thread was going to be all about me...?  
Wink
TBH...I don't understand why people care about these 'reaction videos' and list of best albums ranked by various online strangers. Who cares?
I have watched a few where people talk about 'obscure prog and psych albums', etc ...since I  might not be aware of those.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:27
Doug is awesome, but he's played it pretty safe so far with the artists he has reacted to.

I'm waiting for his reactions to - Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, Captain Beefheart, black midi, Art Zoyd,  ni, Yugen, and similar bands. Anyone else with me?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:38
Seriously! What will he think about a set of drums being thrown down a flight of stairs?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:45
It all depends on the way the drums are thrown, the length of the stairs and the quantity of pots and pans you throw down with them.  Punk music only just tosses the drums carelessly while neo-progressive music plans out every single step in the staircase so that it all lasts 20 minutes.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:49
That's true.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 11:55

It all depends on the way the drums are thrown, the length of the stairs and the quantity of pots and pans you throw down with them.  Punk music only just tosses the drums carelessly while neo-progressive music plans out every single step in the staircase so that it all lasts 20 minutes.
It also depends on the material the stairs are made of. Concrete, tile, wood, or carpet. I prefer tile stairs with dutch ovens. Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 12:05
Word.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:05
That may very well be the best analysis of Firth and Fifth I've ever seen.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:08

LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink
TBH...I don't understand why people care about these 'reaction videos' and list of best albums ranked by various online strangers. Who cares?
I have watched a few where people talk about 'obscure prog and psych albums', etc ...since I  might not be aware of those.
When it comes to obscure prog and psych albums, you're the "Daily Doug" I look to for suggestions. Smile
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 15:42

Wink

I know what you mean, but here, he is more knowledgeable than many due to his educational background, so it's interesting to see his insight and hear his discussion of the structure, etc.  Of course, what really matters is whether or not you find a piece of music or song appealing to your taste, but I still enjoy hearing other's opinions on music.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 00:01
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Wink

I know what you mean, but here, he is more knowledgeable than many due to his educational background, so it's interesting to see his insight and hear his discussion of the structure, etc.  Of course, what really matters is whether or not you find a piece of music or song appealing to your taste, but I still enjoy hearing other's opinions on music.
Most fans of music simply like the music because of a particular beat, rhythm or the lyrics or the song lasts 25 minutes. Its more rare that a fan of music likes the song because of how it was constructed and the influence of that construction and appreciating how it was written. As well for us progressive rock music fans, understanding what all the fuss is about, like odd times and chord structures. Having someone like the Daily Doug explain all of it is very cool.
But yea, at the end of the day you have to like the song.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>