Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 03:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Most fans of music simply like the music because of a particular beat, rhythm or the lyrics or the song lasts 25 minutes. Its more rare that a fan of music likes the song because of how it was constructed and the influence of that construction and appreciating how it was written. As well for us progressive rock music fans, understanding what all the fuss is about, like odd times and chord structures. Having someone like the Daily Doug explain all of it is very cool.
But yea, at the end of the day you have to like the song.  

Hi,

I don't know about "have to like the song" thing ... you don't go around saying that about Stravinsky and Beethoven, or Mozart and Bach ... both of whom pretty much composed a lot of "songs", and we can't name a single one of them!

For me, in the end, it has nothing to do with "song". It has to do with the beauty of the composition to keep you alive and how the music was used to create that feeling, and to me, that is about the artist, and not the fan, who has no say (and often) the ability to even realize how valuable and important the ability of an artist to wake you up from your slumber is. We ALWAYS forget that.

It was nice to see him saying things like Tony was classically trained and such, but his comments about how some notes were used in the ECHOES piece were much more important ... there was a strong section that he was impressed as to how it was setup and used, which would have been something that Rick Wright would have done, and he was not exactly "classically" trained to my ear.

IF, we are going to make room for "progressive music" in the history of music, we have to stop thinking of them as "songs", and instead starting to appreciate the composition and the dedication to its performance, which is what the Doug is doing that we think is just an exercise in meaningless note choices by all the performers, and this is not true, and he is showing us why, and how it attracts out ears!

It's pure, real, and incredible music, and a "song" is not the issue. The composition is. You can start by listing songs that were played and done during the Renaissance. Hint, many English folk bands have done many of them, but no one knows them or remembers them, and that is the end of "song" in the history of music.

Please start appreciating the MUSIC ... not just a song.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 11:08
I would appreciate prog much more if you didn't repeat the same crap every post, year after year.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 13:49

Most fans of music simply like the music because of a particular beat, rhythm

Copy that!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 17:49
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Copy that!

LOL Clap.........Miami Sound Machine was awesome!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 19:20
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Copy that!

Hi,

That is the main difference between a musician and a fan. Unless you are wanting to do the Red Lion circuit, why would you want to repeat something that has already been done?

The "difference" is what made "progressive music" and its history and it is just strange that we don't see that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 19:26
The Friday epic for this week........Illumination Theory Live by Dream Theater

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 09:13

Hi,

Nice and very enjoyable.

For me, this is excellent, and what "progressive" is all about ... not just a song. It is a grand composition by the folks of our generation, and we can only hope that these things can be remembered.

The impressive thing, and I think this is not the first time that DT has been with an orchestra, if there is any doubt about these folks and their abilities, I would like to state that "music" is not for you!

It is really nice to actually see someone like the Daily Doug do justice to a lot of music that so many fans think it's not as good as something they like, because these things are not a single melody that grabs your attention ... this is of a much different and in many ways grand'er aspect within music, than we can imagine, and it is something that most new bands/folks these days, merely try to create in their DAW's and it does not have the creative explosion that a well put together and designed piece can affect your attention.

Sort of like the Pavarotti of our generation ... maybe a little loud, but in the end, it is still a grand piece of music!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 12:44
I like Daily Doug asa contrast to Rick Beato, both are very knowledgable, and share lots of wisdome but i like Dougs calm and direct analyzes. He got a quick head and have some nice imput into what drives a song, and hes amazment is nice to watch.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 12:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Nice and very enjoyable.

For me, this is excellent, and what "progressive" is all about ... not just a song. It is a grand composition by the folks of our generation, and we can only hope that these things can be remembered.

The impressive thing, and I think this is not the first time that DT has been with an orchestra, if there is any doubt about these folks and their abilities, I would like to state that "music" is not for you!

It is really nice to actually see someone like the Daily Doug do justice to a lot of music that so many fans think it's not as good as something they like, because these things are not a single melody that grabs your attention ... this is of a much different and in many ways grand'er aspect within music, than we can imagine, and it is something that most new bands/folks these days, merely try to create in their DAW's and it does not have the creative explosion that a well put together and designed piece can affect your attention.

Sort of like the Pavarotti of our generation ... maybe a little loud, but in the end, it is still a grand piece of music!
I realy enjoy watching trained singers and regular people react to Pacarotti singing Nesoun Dorma. Both group of people are as astounded by the share skill and voice Pavarotti did to that song. There will not be a voice like Pavarotti ever again.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 23:17
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I would appreciate prog much more if you didn't repeat the same crap every post, year after year.

LOLLOLLOL  Unfortunately, it's water off a duck's back as far as mosh is concerned.

Edited by rogerthat - June 05 2021 at 23:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 10:24
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I like Daily Doug asa contrast to Rick Beato, both are very knowledgable, and share lots of wisdome but i like Dougs calm and direct analyzes. He got a quick head and have some nice imput into what drives a song, and hes amazment is nice to watch.

I enjoy Rick Beato's videos also very much. His recent breakdown of Comfortably Numb is excellent!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 12:10

I enjoy Rick Beato's videos also very much. His recent breakdown of Comfortably Numb is excellent!
have you seen hes interview with Jon Anderson, highly reccomended
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 12:56

I don't think so, if it's new then no......
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 15:23

relativly new if one counts half a year, bet itcwas around october

Edited by Icarium - June 07 2021 at 15:24
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 07:41

relativly new if one counts half a year, bet itcwas around october

Hi,

To me, I don't think that doing "Comfortably Numb" or visiting Jon Anderson is that valuable. I met Jon a long time ago and we had a nice yapp about a lot of music, and he keeps his feelings guarded and quiet about a lot of things because of the fans. His talk with Rick is not that important, and just talks about this and that which does not discuss the music itself and kinda makes it seem like that it was just some invisible magic between the players and I don't think that is the case. There is a lot of "composed" moments in YES in the early days (specially the earlier song days and even up to CTTE) and it was obvious a setup for some of the epic moments. No issue there, because some things were really nice and good. But there was nothing about the notes or music that told us anything. It was a "star" saying not a whole lot about the music and his words. Conversely that talk with CS about the strings and his bass, tells a lot more that both Rick and Doug do not touch and understand about how a musician feels about what he is doing and how to use something he discovers, as CS did so often and played it!

There are a lot of folks within the progressive ear that we ignore completely. No one here can even get through the stuff that Richard Pinhas specified to EUROCK (when it was a monthly), and then the whole thing was published in the massive book later for us to read. That is really tough stuff and tickles philosophy and many other topics that seemingly explain what he does with the music, which you and I will never be able to understand or make sense of. You will never see a Rick Beato and his middle of the road star approach touch an important "creator" of music, or even try the folks that put together BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO, or the brothers that put together ANGE, and how they saw their music and ANGE even goes back (AND SHOWS IT) their respects to history and their approach as a sort of Bertold Brecht of the rock music world ... but that is way too intelligent for those two folks to get into and try to make sense of, because a lot of their music is NOT just a song about this or that!

I would like to see more, and specially Doug do a few of the European things ... for example, maybe he needs to try and check out Peter Michael Hamel's history and the groups he was a part of ... and you will find a SCHOLAR and PROFESSOR with degrees that was not a beginner musician and did not know what he was playing ... he did a lot more than we can even consider! And his book (From Music to the Self) is a huge put down to popular music and its lack of creativity and design! Try that on for size! PA folks would get so upset as to ban him and his groups from the lists and site!

Rick is for the "star" in things, and I'm not sure he is more than just a fan of the music. Doug is more well rounded, although I think he is too careful, but the day that he tackles something like 200 Motels ... I will think that he has something to say about music .. until then, it's just the hits! Ohhh btw, use the concert version of 200 Motels done at UCLA by an orchestra and choir ... try to see if you can sniff that! 

I doubt that he can, or the whole thing is just so far out as to be impossible to discuss!

Edited by moshkito - June 08 2021 at 07:43
www.pedrosena.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 21:32
A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers!

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 02:28
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

we saw the video yesterday. he was absolutely fascinated

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 03:25
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Awesome!! I've been very much hoping that he would do that. I'm going to listen to it now. Cool

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 04:11
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Awesome!! I've been very much hoping that he would do that. I'm going to listen to it now. Cool 

I'm glad he enjoyed it. Smile

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 04:56
he was quite right in saying it is a concept album. the line "I can see the lemmings coming, but I know I'm just a man" refers to the other two songs on the album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>