Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 05:28
^And besides, I didn't post this list to show that there's "thousands of great prog songs to listen to". I posted this list to point to the top songs that Doug can focus on.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 05:47
I believe he takes suggestions. ConfusedLOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 07:46
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I didn't say monetization, I indicated numbers.

He CAN start a Patreon if he wants to.  I am guessing he doesn't particularly need the money and doesn't mind the videos being demonetized.  Even then, I am sure a youtuber wants to reach a decent sized audience.  He is not speaking exclusively to a prog audience.  He has done metal videos too before.  So I don't see him going too far beyond the Big Five of prog.

Hi,

I am not sure that he can do that as it would infringe on the copyrights of the artist. Normally, a lot of stuff related to copyrights fall off in court when it is FREE, and there is no money coming and going. IF he does pick up some money for this and that, then he will likely have to pay his dues to the copyright groups ... and they are not cheap for the most part.

However, IF HE GETS the band's permission to do this or that, then things are a bit different, although I have heard of one artist that did that, but the management nixed it! But this would be rare, since the benefit is the artist ... and not just one extra dollar when the music is bought instead!

As to his audience, I don't mind him showing there is good music in metal and such and in the progressive music that (supposedly) is valuable to a lot of fans, though I think that he should/could be tackling some of the European stuff, but I think that too many of them are way too classical and far apart from the "westernized popular music concepts" (per Berlin descriptions!!!!) for most fans to follow it and take it on for enjoyment. The Daily Doug would probably not have a lot to say about BANCO or PFM (early days), other than it is just classical music done with electric instruments, and because they are not just about a riff or known popular song method, they are not heard or paid attention to like YES, or many other bands ... and in the case of BANCO, they are still going and doing great material. That leaves Doug just telling you notes and not being able to add much to the music discussion! Or the reasons why it is so attractive, which most fans will probably say that it is not since they don't care for it! Cry

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I believe he takes suggestions. ConfusedLOL

He does and he states that people have asked, and this would likely be via email. The only issue I have with that is that it is all repetitive and the same band all over again, and after one, maybe two things from them, the rest, for me, is the same thing and not worthy of attention. Most of the bands he does, do not "change" from what they do to pluck something different in their music, and their "sound" is important to their commercial value! The Daily Doug is helping promote that idea even more, and as such I am not sure that he can do material that is far out there and crazy as it would render him having to say things that are not exactly appreciate by rock fans, who are so indelibly stamped with the same sound, riff or youngster attraction to the hit which they will share quickly with their friends! Most progressive listening folks are not so much about that specific social element, understanding and appreciating the differences and the variety!

Edited by moshkito - June 14 2021 at 07:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 09:49
I've been on a Can kick lately and thought it'd be interesting to see Doug reacting on some of their lengthier tracks. Or any of them really. I don't see it happening anytime soon and I don't think they'd be of much interest to him anyway. Unless he's familiar with Stockhausen, which he actually might well be, and was curious of that connection. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 09:52
All good but when is he going to react to some Tool?! Tongue
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 10:13

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 10:15
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

Wow! This is freakin awesome! Love it! Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 19:04
The Tool reactions we're excellent. If Doug did more with modern artists instead of these ancient prog albums he would have me sold. Wonder if he has any on the Cadiacs. If not, he should.

Edited by SteveG - June 17 2021 at 19:10
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 20:08
Hi,

Very nice introduction to TOOL for me. Never really got around to it, and the third show about the drumming is excellent .... and I doubt that many drummers can come close to doing something that well defined and played! AND to do it LIVE!

Edited by moshkito - June 17 2021 at 20:26
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 21:25
I can't really say I care too much about what Doug thinks or how he reacts to Supper' s Ready or anything else. Why not have somebody else' s reactions to Doug' s reactions then? And so on. A chain reaction, so to speak.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 23:18
^You are describing this thread.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 01:20
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^You are describing this thread.

Or maybe it's a reaction to this thread.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 05:11
On youtube there is also a female opera singer showing her reactions to various pieces of Rock music. These, folks, are the times we are living in.

Edited by Un Amico - June 19 2021 at 13:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 06:05
Dedicated to Catcher10. Now if I could only find some Beatles reactions...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 09:56

Dedicated to Catcher10. Now if I could only find some Beatles reactions...

Good luck..........very few care about the Fab Four anymore. Other reason is their music has been played to death, nothing to react to.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 10:01
Couple new ones.....Was thinking that Kansas would be good, especially from Leftoverture.

I think this Symphony X has been done by others....

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 10:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Good luck..........very few care about the Fab Four anymore. Other reason is their music has been played to death, nothing to react to.

How sadly misinformed and prejudice you are. It's really funny, but only in an ironic sense.

The Beatles Are The Best-Selling Rock Band Of 2020

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 10:35
^ From a reaction perspective nobody cares, there are a couple reactions out there on them but they are super boring since the music is so simple bubble gum pop music.....I never said they were not a top seller, that would be mis-informed which I am not. I grew up in the era when their songs dominated the airways. 

Prejudice??? This whole website is prejudice so not sure what you are trying to start anew, welcome to the club my friend! Confused LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 11:27
^ Mentioned before, and not Prog, but since he is a classical (or art music) composer who writes choral music of a religious nature, I'd love to hear his reactions on the mediaeval music of Tallis (also wonder if such music has become much more sophisticated on the whole in the last 500 years, think Lamentations of Jeremiah, Spem in alium etc.).  I would be interested to hear more reaction music to music in his wheelhouse as it's there that he might have the most to say, and I'm sure that there are listeners who would be interested not just to hear him talk about music they like and suggest, but about music that he is knowledgeable about, but maybe that would be better for a podcast if he decides to make one where could do deeper dives into music and the history of music with knowledgeable guests.  I would prefer that to reaction videos.  He could do a series with each segment devoted to a certain topic, genre and musical era (one series on baroque music etc., or with the right guest, one on psychedelic music etc.).  A well-researched series is more work than reaction videos, however.

While I like his takes, I do find it a bit odd that "reaction videos" are as popular as they are.  I guess I tend to prefer deeper and often broader dives into topics.  I think that The Evolution of Horror podcast has a good formula that could be adapted well for a good music podcast, and be very doable. https://www.evolutionofhorror.com/

Maybe I'll put together an evolution of Prog podcast, although maybe film and TV would better suit me.

Edited by Logan - June 19 2021 at 11:43
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 14:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Mentioned before, and not Prog, but since he is a classical (or art music) composer who writes choral music of a religious nature, I'd love to hear his reactions on the mediaeval music of Tallis (also wonder if such music has become much more sophisticated on the whole in the last 500 years, think Lamentations of Jeremiah, Spem in alium etc.).  I would be interested to hear more reaction music to music in his wheelhouse as it's there that he might have the most to say, and I'm sure that there are listeners who would be interested not just to hear him talk about music they like and suggest, but about music that he is knowledgeable about, but maybe that would be better for a podcast if he decides to make one where could do deeper dives into music and the history of music with knowledgeable guests.  I would prefer that to reaction videos.  He could do a series with each segment devoted to a certain topic, genre and musical era (one series on baroque music etc., or with the right guest, one on psychedelic music etc.).  A well-researched series is more work than reaction videos, however.

While I like his takes, I do find it a bit odd that "reaction videos" are as popular as they are.  I guess I tend to prefer deeper and often broader dives into topics.  I think that The Evolution of Horror podcast has a good formula that could be adapted well for a good music podcast, and be very doable. https://www.evolutionofhorror.com/

Maybe I'll put together an evolution of Prog podcast, although maybe film and TV would better suit me.
Ahhh you are on to something there! As much as I agree I too would love to hear him do some musical delving as you speak, that would not be a "reaction video", it would be him giving a lecture like in a university setting. I think that would be great also, to hear his impressions. But I think it would be maybe too much in his wheel house, that's what I like about these reactions. Even though he has a musical doctorate, this type of music he is doing is not in his wheel house and he is showing the common music fan that some music does include complex stuff, and so far most of that is in the progressive rock genre.

That's a good question....Has music creation become more complex/sophisticated in the past 500 years? I go back to his reaction to LTE's rendition of Rhapsody In Blue, a pc he knows very well and I really enjoyed him explaining the history of that pc by Gershwin from 1924.

I guess with these reactions you take away from them what you can, but to me Daily Doug offers so much more to understand.

Let me know when you post your horror podcast! Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>