Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 15:25
^ My podcast, if ever get around to it, and I should (would also make it for youtube as I think it makes sense to diversify your media/platforms) might actually be on dystopias ("Dystopian Visions" would work if not taken).  It would be on novels, films, TV shows, radio dramas, even some music. I would try to give it some historical context, and then I could delve into various concepts/ ideological frameworks.  I'd also do something on utopias (one person's utopia can be another's dystopia).

Edited by Logan - June 19 2021 at 15:30
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 16:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ My podcast, if ever get around to it, and I should (would also make it for youtube as I think it makes sense to diversify your media/platforms) might actually be on dystopias ("Dystopian Visions" would work if not taken).  It would be on novels, films, TV shows, radio dramas, even some music. I would try to give it some historical context, and then I could delve into various concepts/ ideological frameworks.  I'd also do something on utopias (one person's utopia can be another's dystopia).

Ok...stop talking and do! LOL What Bat-time and Bat-day will your channel come on? Clap 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 00:04
Than you can invite Doug and discuss stuff about things and things about stuff in music

Edited by Icarium - June 20 2021 at 00:04
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 08:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ From a reaction perspective nobody cares, there are a couple reactions out there on them but they are super boring since the music is so simple bubble gum pop music.....I never said they were not a top seller, that would be mis-informed which I am not. I grew up in the era when their songs dominated the airways. 
Hi,

From a certain point on, the BEATLES are not exactly that simple, and what they did was far and away from yummy yummy I got crap in my tummy.

Seeing it 55 years later, it is easy for us to say that, but in their history they deserve some credit for having taken a lot of the bubble gum out of the top ten, which got really bad and tiring ... and the only change since is how naked the women are thanks to MTV. 

All of the BEATLES, individually after they were done, became a lot simpler and not really that important in my book despite some songs here and there that stand out ... MASSIVELY. We still know humbly what IMAGINE is all about ... and it is sad to think that it is "simple" when the subject matter is so valuable. The music itself might be easy, but his words stood out, and have stood the test of time so well!

Edited by moshkito - June 20 2021 at 08:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 04:19

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Dedicated to Catcher10. Now if I could only find some Beatles reactions...

Good luck..........very few care about the Fab Four anymore. Other reason is their music has been played to death, nothing to react to.
The truth is that the Beatles appeal has never gone away, and never will. The daily threads to the Fab Four in the SHMF can attest to that. Even if you don't appreciate them for not being monster musicians, Lennon and McCartney are rightly considered the greatest songwriters of their era. And long after the small populace of the world that knows and loves bands like Rush and Genesis dies out, hundreds more biographies and music specific books on the Fab Four will still be written and published. They will always be on a pedestal with rock luminaries like Elvis, Hendrix and Clapton, while people in the future will wonder why anyone would listen to a group with a singer who sounds like Micky Mouse on helium. Word.

Edited by SteveG - June 21 2021 at 09:56
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 06:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I got crap in my tummy.

I suspect it's a bit further north of the waist than that Pedro Big smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 08:51
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I got crap in my tummy.

I suspect it's a bit further north of the waist than that Pedro Big smile

Hi,

It is/was a reference to a hit song in the 60's ... the kind of pop crap! I think the group name was The Cowsilly's. (Intentionally misspelled!)

There was so much of it, that it was ridiculous. And even FZ made fun of it silly, not only in 200 Motels but in a lot of his music! Even Donovan did not escape!

CORRECTION. Wrong group named. It was Ohio Express.

Edited by moshkito - June 21 2021 at 12:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 09:06
Originally posted by Un Amico Un Amico wrote:

I can't really say I care too much about what Doug thinks or how he reacts to Supper' s Ready or anything else. Why not have somebody else' s reactions to Doug' s reactions then? And so on. A chain reaction, so to speak.

Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - June 21 2021 at 09:10
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 09:13
Originally posted by Un Amico Un Amico wrote:

I can't really say I care too much about what Doug thinks or how he reacts to Supper' s Ready or anything else. Why not have somebody else' s reactions to Doug' s reactions then? And so on. A chain reaction, so to speak.

With that logic why come into the forum, then? If you don't care about what others think about Supper's Ready or any other song/album? 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 09:25
^ And as said, this very thread is a reaction to Doug's reactions (and to a lesser extent the dr wu Doug).

[I got crap in my tummy]was a reference to a hit song in the 60's ... the kind of pop crap! I think the group name was The Cowsilly's. (Intentionally misspelled!)

There was so much of it, that it was ridiculous. And even FZ made fun of it silly, not only in 200 Motels but in a lot of his music! Even Donovan did not escape!

I guessed you were thinking of Ohio Express' "Yummy Yummy Yummy (I got love in my tummy)". That's a song I often reference, and comes to mind far more often than I would wish.

Edited by Logan - June 21 2021 at 09:26
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 10:16

Good luck..........very few care about the Fab Four anymore. Other reason is their music has been played to death, nothing to react to.
The truth is that the Beatles appeal has never gone away, and never will. The daily threads to the Fab Four in the SHMF can attest to that. Even if you don't appreciate them for not being monster musicians, Lennon and McCartney are rightly considered the greatest songwriters of their era. And long after the small populace of the world that knows and loves bands like Rush and Genesis dies out, hundreds more biographies and music specific books on the Fab Four will still be written and published. They will always be on a pedestal with rock luminaries like Elvis, Hendrix and Clapton, while people in the future will wonder why anyone would listen to a group with a singer who sounds like Micky Mouse on helium. Word.

Again,....My comment in this case about the Beatles is 100% about any reactions online that you mentioned..."Now if I could only find some Beatles reactions". Like I said, I am sure there are some but I have not seen many of them and there really is no reason for any YouTube channel to have any reactions to the Beatles. Since their music has been played to death on the FM what would anybody be reacting to?? Confused 
So my "very few care about the Fab Four anymore", is all about YouTube reaction videos. I have said before, they were great song writers, had others performed their songs I suspect I would have been a listener of that music, but monster musicians they are not, not in the vein of Rush or Genesis, that's ridiculous especially on a progressive rock music site. This is a different topic that you are trying to incite, you should start a thread on it if you like, but it will only turn into a circle jerk off of Beatles fanatics.....Has nothing to do with the Daily Doug.
I am more than happy when you make your references to me and the Fab Four, I laugh as much as you laugh about it....believe me. 

Edited by Catcher10 - June 21 2021 at 10:18
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 10:40

Again,....My comment in this case about the Beatles is 100% about any reactions online that you mentioned..."Now if I could only find some Beatles reactions". Like I said, I am sure there are some but I have not seen many of them and there really is no reason for any YouTube channel to have any reactions to the Beatles. Since their music has been played to death on the FM what would anybody be reacting to?? Confused 
So my "very few care about the Fab Four anymore", is all about YouTube reaction videos. I have said before, they were great song writers, had others performed their songs I suspect I would have been a listener of that music, but monster musicians they are not, not in the vein of Rush or Genesis, that's ridiculous especially on a progressive rock music site. This is a different topic that you are trying to incite, you should start a thread on it if you like, but it will only turn into a circle jerk off of Beatles fanatics.....Has nothing to do with the Daily Doug.
I am more than happy when you make your references to me and the Fab Four, I laugh as much as you laugh about it....believe me. 
You spoke, I responded. "very few care about the Fab Four anymore" was quite a loaded statement, if you realized it or not, and deserved to be addressed. Even away from the SHMF.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 11:49
^ The SHF have nothing to do with anything here......That is not a progressive rock music forum, but a general music forum, where totally makes sense for the Beatles fanatics to live. And yes it is 100% littered with Beatles threads, there is even talk of making a Beatles Only Section there, which would be great IMO!

Every time I mention the Beatles it is a loaded comment, probably been saying it even before you joined PA. I am perfectly fine with all my Beatles comments. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 11:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'd like to hear more of his reactions (even if he already knows the music) on classical music.....  

Here is one Logan......Doug's choice.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 12:03

^ The SHF have nothing to do with anything here......That is not a progressive rock music forum, but a general music forum, where totally makes sense for the Beatles fanatics to live. And yes it is 100% littered with Beatles threads, there is even talk of making a Beatles Only Section there, which would be great IMO!

Every time I mention the Beatles it is a loaded comment, probably been saying it even before you joined PA. I am perfectly fine with all my Beatles comments. LOL
And I'm perfectly happy responding to them. Big smile And yes, SHF is disgusting with all the Beatles threads. And then there's the members who think the that the Monkees are god. Yikes. LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 21 2021 at 12:03
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 06:20

Doubt anyone would challenge the idea Dream Theater are world class musicians.  And it often seems they purposefully try to make their music complex / challenging to play.  

But being complex and challenging to play do not necessarily make it great music to listen to. 

Obviously, everyone's tastes are different and one man's trash is another's treasure. As a DT fan who owns pretty much everything I find little innovation in the band since the turn of the century. They're just regurgitating ideas they've well explored in the past. Again, just my opinion.  

Songwriting-wise, especially, I feel like the ideas of not very inspired. COmpare the lyrics of something like A Change of Seasons or anything from Images and Words...then compare them to anything from Black Clouds onward and it's hard to believe the same guys wrote the lyrics.  
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 06:34
"The two ghetto rappers".  

Might wanna rethink the phrasing there.  
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 06:40
You seem to have really, really strong opinions about what he should do (mostly, it seems, listen to obscure bands that you like but won't appeal to vast, vasy majority of potential listeners). 

Since you think there's so much great stuff being ignored and deserving of attention maybe you should fill that void. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 06:51
Originally posted by MrMan2000 MrMan2000 wrote:

"The two ghetto rappers".  

Might wanna rethink the phrasing there.  
Please direct your cancel culture complaints to this number 800-555-1212. Thanks.

Edited by SteveG - June 23 2021 at 06:57
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 06:51
As someone who's made music vids on YT a couple thoughts:

1. If you include a song that's licensed the record company will claim copyright. In these cases you will most likely be allowed to publish the video but cannot monetize it (all monetization goes to record company). 
2. In some cases, the video will be outright blocked. This is also a country by country thing....certain countries block lots of videos. 
3. You can claim copyright exemption by adhering to certain guidelines in your comments (simply note artist and song in the right format).  It's very hit or miss if this will work; you have no idea until you publish and get a reaction.  If it's accepted, you can monetize the video. 

Those wanting Doug to do "adventurous" or "deep dives" or whatever seem not to grasp a fundamental truth to what he's doing: he doesn't "know" the music. So he doesn't know if Dream Theater is "better" or "more adventurous" than Genesis than insert-your-favorite-obscure-prog band. His viewers are driving his decisions.  Lots of suggestions equal a listen.  

And yes, if he took time to create a video channel there's ego involved and you want your videos to get attention and likes. I'd say a guy who's willing to listen to a 25-minute version of The Odyssey is pretty f'in far from "mainstream" or "predictable" music, but to each their own, I guess. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>