Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 08:14
I was suggesting that he might diversify, but of course time is an issue and it's up to him to do he he wants. If he's having fun, keep at it.

I wanted him to do more adventurous and deep dives, but I do grasp what's he doing. I was suggesting that he might try some different things and approaches. Of course that's up to him, but one person here has had contact with him. I don't know how many models and platforms he has considered. For instance, I suggested a more "serious" podcast about music (he needn't just do reaction type stuff). He could also do things like ask his youtube viewers to suggest the most challenging, complex and adventurous music they know, do twitter polls on that. I don't know if he has a reddit sub where he also interacts with people or how connected he is across various platforms (twitter, instragram, youtube, facebook, maybe TikTok....) He could diversify if he wants to (I guess this is just a side-line and no one has all the time in the world, but he might get bored and want new challenges).

I haven't done my podcast yet, but I am nowhere near approaching expert status in anything, nor do I have a doctorate (which can sound good when you want people to take you seriously) or interesting CV, engaging personality, charm or charisma. Mine likely would just be another layman (lameman) podcast.

He could also do "bonus" youtube content on music that is more in his wheelhouse -- like classical music. I would imagine that some of his listeners would find that interesting, and of course that could lead to a wider audience.

Most content creators who make some money out of it that I know use Patreon.

Edited by Logan - June 23 2021 at 08:20
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 08:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was suggesting that he might diversify, but of course time is an issue and it's up to him to do he he wants. If he's having fun, keep at it.
I haven't done my podcast yet, but I am nowhere near approaching expert status in anything, nor do I have a doctorate (which can sound good when you want people to take you seriously) or interesting CV, engaging personality, charm or charisma. Mine likely would just be another layman (lameman) podcast.

Hi,

Not that it can be some good help, but if needed I will assist as needed.

It would be nice to have someone from PA to do this, and help accent PA as a viable and important venue for the music, instead of just some of the fans favorites. As an example, the other guy did MAGMA, even though he had no really idea what it was about, and (sadly!) he chose something that was suggested instead of going for the real more valuable and important mustard in MDK. That ought to suggest that even many "fans" of MAGMA don't get it, and they can only relate to something they can recognize, instead of something totally different. They likely could not even handle ZWEI and its classical work and CV doing a lot of the vocals, most of which were insane and amazing that he did not die out of breath.

PA, in my book, should/could have a more valuable and important influence in this whole thing, instead of "fans" simply doing the hits ... PROGRESSIVE MUSIC has a lot more stuff in it than just a few things that became known as "hits" and we should address that disparity in the quality of the music.

ASIDE: I was already thinking that DD is (perhaps) not as important as we think, when you look at Frank Zappa and his comments on "serious music", and even in fun things like 200 MOTELS there is some serious music there, that we do not see. If you catch the LIVE version of the whole thing done at UCLA before Gail passed away, you will find that the choir in it, did an incredible job, and my thoughts are that for once they did something serious instead of the same old crap that too much classical music has for a "choir". The whole thing is incredible, but I am not sure that many people can handle it, but it would be far out to hear it ... and of course, if anyone has the guts, they should really do PDQ Bach and specially "Seasonings 1/2 tsp", and see if they can fathom and say something about it!

Edited by moshkito - June 23 2021 at 08:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 08:47
Thanks, Pedro. I've thought about doing film and the like, and in that regard I have very much thought of you, although I am not nearly as immersed in that world as I once was, but doing one on progressive music would be very interesting. Important thing is to try, even if it doesn't work out that well in the end. It's sad that at the forums I belonged to before this I had several people asking me to help create content and work on projects together, but I mostly chickened out (a lack of self-confidence, some social anxiety issues, coupled with laziness -- have met some truly creative people). Fear is the mind killer. Good thing about doing a PA related one is that we have some built in audience here who would check us out, while not being officially affiliated with or sponsored by PA.

I've long been interested in the interconnections between the arts (and my interest in philosophy, sociology...), and I think we could tie in progressive and art music with "progressive" and art filmmaking. I'd like to do some audio-visual "essays". My wife was suggesting I try reaction videos some time ago, but I told her before that I am not interested in such stuff (most of which is incredibly shallow and can be too exhibitionist to me).

I'd probably want to start approaching it from certain ideological angles.

Edited by Logan - June 23 2021 at 09:13
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 13:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'd like to hear more of his reactions (even if he already knows the music) on classical music.....  

Here is one Logan......Doug's choice.

Bump for Logan....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 16:04

I'd like to hear more of his reactions (even if he already knows the music) on classical music.....  

Here is one Logan......Doug's choice.

Bump for Logan....

Sorry missing your earlier response. Thanks! Will listen to it. Glad to see he has done Doug's choice.

Edited by Logan - June 23 2021 at 16:05
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 21:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by MrMan2000 MrMan2000 wrote:

"The two ghetto rappers".  

Might wanna rethink the phrasing there.  
Please direct your cancel culture complaints to this number 800-555-1212. Thanks.
Cancel culture is a real and toxic problem in society, but this ain't it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 04:04
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by MrMan2000 MrMan2000 wrote:

"The two ghetto rappers".  

Might wanna rethink the phrasing there.  
Please direct your cancel culture complaints to this number 800-555-1212. Thanks.
Cancel culture is a real and toxic problem in society, but this ain't it.
It sure as hell is. Any over reaction on the part of the left is deemed to be part of the cancel culture phenomenon. Especially when such reactions are not done out of a sense of outrage but simply because such reactions are the "in thing" at the moment. And I'm as left leaning as one can get, so I know of what I speak.

Edited by SteveG - June 24 2021 at 04:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 12:02
^ There is a different thread for this horse-krapp.........Take it there please.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 12:57

^ There is a different thread for this horse-krapp.........Take it there please.
That's funny coming form the guy who started this horse krapp. LOL
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 13:22
Evidently, this witty banter has something to do with the law of equal and opposite reaction.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 15:30

The Daily Doug is not horse krapp.........inserting politics is though. BTW, since you brought up the SHF, you would probably be banned from that site if you bring politics into their discussions. The rules there are very strict, the Gorts would be all over you like stink on sh*t. LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - June 24 2021 at 15:32
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 15:45

The Daily Doug is not horse krapp.........inserting politics is though. BTW, since you brought up the SHF, you would probably be banned from that site if you bring politics into their discussions. The rules there are very strict, the Gorts would be all over you like stink on sh*t. LOL

The thread is fine. I meant that you started all this PC stuff. Good natured though. As far SHF, Steve H and I are not friends. That he lets me keep an account open on SHF is tough enough without politics. LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 25 2021 at 04:02
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 00:11
No one has cancelled anyone. Now, if I heard Doug was cancelled for only getting a degree in studying Western Classical music, that would be a cancel culture story if ever there was one.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 06:20
Think what you want, I've found that hindi version fantastic.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 06:29
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

No one has cancelled anyone. Now, if I heard Doug was cancelled for only getting a degree in studying Western Classical music, that would be a cancel culture story if ever there was one.
I tried to cancel Pete Pardo from The Progressive Aspect. Does that count?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Think what you want, I've found that hindi version fantastic.

Agree Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 19:18
He is currently streaming live reaction to Gentle Giant~Free Hand (Steven Wilson Remix Version), the whole album....Very cool!!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 08:58
Hi,

Not bad. Not bad at all, although I wish he had done something from the earlier material, which is much less "pointed" than this one, and sometimes more and more in the vein of the stuff that we really liked in GG. This album, however, really took off in America which helped them tremendously.

I would rather have him do something like OCTOPUS which to me is a much better example, and much less oriented towards what was then the very end of the FM radio independence in America.

I wish we took Gary Green's words more seriously when he pretty much took some Italian interviewer to task, who was lecturing Gary on what progressive music was at the time. Gary simply said, exasperated, that they never wrote anything and they just played! No one can describe or fathom the amount of freedom that this band gave itself and their work, and how it came about. In my book it shows all the time, specially in the early albums, but it is not something that we "consider" as having been improvised and just added on some simple impulse by one of the members!

I'm not sure that the Daily Doug can describe and work on something that has a lot of improvised material that does not, necessarily, represent or go by a single musical decision or other. It likely would have the tendency to take the whole thing off track, and make explanations very difficult ... it's not always that musicians simply go for a chord or note or other in an improvised situation. After an hour or so, they stop with the "chops" and enter into an area where any sound and thought enters immediately and finds itself added to the whole thing in the end. This is the most valuable moment in "improvisation", AFTER you have expired all your trickery and now you only have one thing left ... to listen to the rest of the material by your fellow members and work with it. It's an experience that most rock bands won't even try because I sincerely doubt that many of those musicians have the ability to "let go" and just play. 

A nice example of free form stuff, check out the Jaki L. tribute in its entirety. Even Damo sounds excellent all of a sudden and the musicians had a pretty good idea of where to go and what to do! You're not going to find something like that in America or England, since it is a feeling that aligns with a certain freedom that has little to do with notes or chords even when you use them, but the placement suggests something different about the totality of the music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 20:48
Genesis~One For the Vine...........Great reaction to a song he had not heard before, following along with some sheet music. Lots of cool twists and turns in this one. Very enjoyable!

Edited by Catcher10 - June 30 2021 at 20:54
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 04:08
he'll do Magma this week; I am very much looking forward to his reaction to them and am curious what song he will react to. a live version of MDK perhaps?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>