Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 06:11
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Think what you want, I've found that hindi version fantastic.

Sorry for asking months after your comment but what does Hindi version refer to?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 06:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Sorry for asking months after your comment but what does Hindi version refer to?

This...after the classical version and Doug's analysis, about 10 minutes from the start of the video.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 07:13

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

This...after the classical version and Doug's analysis, about 10 minutes from the start of the video.

Thanks!  Actually, the title of that piece (the German one) for some reason made me think it was a reaction to some Magma composition LOL.  The Hindi version is lovely too. He did the reaction within days of the upload of the Hindi version, so I wonder if he knows the musicians in that video. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2021 at 09:25
Another Zappa episode, I'm not a Zappa music fan so I didn't get much out of this than the standard of Dr Doug analyzing the keys and chords. This song oozes early 70's electronic jazz/fusion..........Enjoy

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 11:57
Hi,

Saw his take on Renaissance and then his interview with Annie Haslam. 

Both very enjoyable and that last high note she hit at Carnegie Hall will ring in his ears for a while! I really like that she even talked about Roy Wood, and how talented he is/was. It was obviously something she appreciated and helped her a lot.

For a change, something nice and enjoyable instead of some of these "same" bands.

Edited by moshkito - September 06 2021 at 11:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 22:15
Doug has already latched onto the things that I had noticed early on into my Renaissance exploration, like the bright 'AA' sound in Annie's vocals (rather than the more rounded operatic equivalent which people singing high in rock/metal usually approximate). I am looking forward to more of the Ren videos.  And maybe he can go back for a second interview with Annie after hearing more of their albums to ask more detailed questions. Though Annie is a very intuitive singer and probably can't break down her technique in that way but it would nevertheless be interesting at least to hear her artistic motivations for certain things. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 19:01
His first Marillion reaction, could have a better pc, but regardless it's a good one for him to dig into the musical composition and the lyrics.
I expect more Marillion from Dr Doug now....

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 21:59
It was moving to me, he grasped the gist of the piece of music. I am sentimental about Hogarth's Marillion 
(and also enjoy Fish's Marillion).  I hope he does enjoy exploring more of their extensive catalog.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 22:02
Hi,

Saying that more artists should have been speaking and singing, I think they were "there", however, there was something that has been a problem in the past 10 years, and it is the social media aspect that continually intimidates people, and it got worse several years ago, when someone decided to send messages to various business to hurt several artists, which of course, had started before with the Mrs. Gore situation doing the same thing and no one put the foot down to say that it was inappropriate, and a blatant abuse of power AND one amendment. The other concern is that a lot of "top ten" material is very escapist and not exactly meaningful, and helpful about what the political and social situation is really all about. (Now you know why I distrust a top ten, even "progressive".)

In some countries, specially in the 20th century, it was the artistry that helped the world find out what was really happening. You didn't have to go to Spain to find how bad things were, including artists, writers, and actors being taken down ... and Picasso helped us ... perhaps not understand it, but the "reality" of it ended up being a sign of things to come a few years later. It was no surprise that "fear" was taken literally in Spain, and folks went to various places, mostly France. 

In America, the "artistry" is not that important and has not been since the 60's, when the media shouted down everyone that opened their mouth as someone that was stupid and did not know what they were talking about. All of a sudden Country Joe MacDonald sounds like a stupid kid? ... oh, forget that let's take you higher!

There was a set of words that I think came from Boccaccio that spelled out something like ... a corrupt mind can not understand words healthily ... and the result is ... and really, this piece is what a lot of this is about, although I think that it is worded in such a way that it can add/subtract a lot more things, which sometimes might confuse your idea or mine of what this song is really about.  

The real shame of it all, is that so many folks dismiss Marillion for all this and their dedication to meaningful material, while other bands try to invent parables that supposedly mean something, but in essence are quite empty by comparison. 

Edited by moshkito - September 10 2021 at 22:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 16:31
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

It was moving to me, he grasped the gist of the piece of music. I am sentimental about Hogarth's Marillion 
(and also enjoy Fish's Marillion).  I hope he does enjoy exploring more of their extensive catalog.
I would have preferred Invisible Man, Ocean Cloud, Interior Lulu, House, This Strange Engine.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 17:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I would have preferred Invisible Man, Ocean Cloud, Interior Lulu, House, This Strange Engine.....
  All great choices.  I am particularly fond of Afraid of Sunlight and Estonia, as well as your suggestions.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 19:34

All great choices.  I am particularly fond of Afraid of Sunlight and Estonia, as well as your suggestions.  
I picked pcs for his Friday editions which are long epics.....but Estonia would be a great one for the content.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 20:25

I picked pcs for his Friday editions which are long epics.....but Estonia would be a great one for the content.
[/QUOTE]  
I find Estonia particularly moving.  Even thought it is a specific incident historically, it is also incredibly universally descriptive of deep grief and trying to find solace in feeling that no one dies, they just move to the other side.

Edited by Snicolette - September 11 2021 at 20:26
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 16:46
Riverside.....could have done a better song for his first.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 16:47
Haken.....great song!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 16:52
Nice breakdown of Routine...I think Ninet is a great vocalist. Wish she would release more music.

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 08:34
I absolutely detest these attention seeking "reaction" posts. 

Doug is probably one of the better ones, but you get some fat kid from nowhere getting his face on screen going "umhummmmmmm " whilst listening to music he doesn't have a clue about.

Almost as bad as unboxing videos. An absolute waste of electricity and storage space. 

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 09:20
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Doug is probably one of the better ones, but you get some fat kid from nowhere getting his face on screen going "umhummmmmmm " whilst listening to music he doesn't have a clue about.

Almost as bad as unboxing videos. An absolute waste of electricity and storage space. 

I actually really enjoy watching reaction videos but those unboxing ones suck. BIG TIME!!!
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 11:21
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Doug is one of the better ones since he breaks down the musical composition of these pcs. He is more than qualified to do this, his credentials speak for themselves.
Yes there are a ton of people doing them who just listen to music and some probably pretend to like just so they get a bunch of "Likes and Subscribes" to their channel, it's their 15min of fame. I don't watch them....

The good thing is most of the reaction videos are of progressive rock music, so the music is getting a rebirth if you will on YouTube.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 12:21
Is it though? I think there are tons of reaction videos with some spotlighting prog albumms for sure(mostly the most well known)but I don't think it's getting significantly more exposure than any other rock subgenre (probably far less than some). It's certainly possible that youtube has helped spread the word about prog but I don't know how much. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>