Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 08:34
Fool's Overture

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 10:54
Nursery Cryme BLOCKED! You won’t believe the back story!

Here's the link to the Nursery Cryme video: https://vimeo.com/645284324

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 02:55
Crazy
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 08:54
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Nursery Cryme BLOCKED! You won’t believe the back story!

Hi,

Anyone know the link to his "patreon"? (spelling)

(soapbox is 6 inches high!)

I'm concerned with all of this mostly because there would be a lot of people that work for Phil's publishers and companies (for example) that are getting paid to make sure their stuff is not "abused". The bigger issue is that many of these people don't give a damn about what the show is about. If this continues, pretty soon, no teacher or professor will be able to talk about PF or Genesis or any other ... top 5 that I hope go completely bankrupt at that point ... they made enough already, and spending their time ensuring they can milk even more than they deserve is a lot more than I can handle.

However, there is a side of it that I can relate to and Davesax posted one time ... "does he pay ..." and at that point I can relate to his needing the extra nickel, HOWEVER, how are many bands and materials going to get noticed if no one plays it, and then, on top of it, the artist would not want to be a part of it?

I can tell you that SPR even has hundreds of promos by many artists and has had it for 40+ years ... and that the response and Guy's interviews (I wish he would share them!!!! but there likely is another copyright issue here!) have been fantastic ... and even a record company owner saying thank you for the number of artists being played on the show! 

Somewhere, the visibility of it all HAS TO COME INTO PLAY.

This is my main reason why I do NOT support anything that is done or comes by the "big 5" or "big 10", because in essence they are no longer about the music and its sharing and seeing that folks know about it, but about the ability to collect that extra something or other.

My other concern, is that the tube and probably many others are also using fake companies to sidetrack the money, and eat their portion off IF there is any to be had. It "shows" that they are working and finding details that prove that blahandblah is this and that!

Yeah, I agree with DD that Congress needs to get it together and clean this crap up some more, but I doubt this can get done ... too many of the folks in Congress are already bought out, and no one seems to know why, or how, and this side needs to be shown publicly and some folks incarcerated for their complicity and corruption, specially in voting!

What a mess ... the whole thing is, but it tells you ... they are the most fudged up of entities when it comes to the tube and its commerciality! Also another is how much stuff is ripped by copy and put online, and this needs to be addressed as well.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 17:33
I’ve recently become a fan of the Daily Doug. I like the guy. Will follow this here thread now.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 02:54
Nursery Cryme listening reaction is up now on youtube,
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 05:52
^ Nursery Cryme (full album)

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 05:58

Just watched this; it was a lot of fun seeing him break down the songs, especially Peter's lyrics LOL kinda wished he acknowledged Phil's vocals on For Absent Friends, but I'm glad he complimented his drumming so much
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 06:28
Play List of Daily Doug Episodes (Episodes 1 To 200)

Edited by I prophesy disaster - November 19 2021 at 06:29
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 06:48
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Just watched this; it was a lot of fun seeing him break down the songs, especially Peter's lyrics LOL kinda wished he acknowledged Phil's vocals on For Absent Friends, but I'm glad he complimented his drumming so much
its interesting to hear him acknowledge how complex Genesis instrumentation are and the strangeness to it, how he compared it to, the Beatles meets Frank Zappa
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 07:02
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

its interesting to hear him acknowledge how complex Genesis instrumentation are and the strangeness to it, how he compared it to, the Beatles meets Frank Zappa

There's a great point to be made there. I'm American, and most of the Genesis I was exposed to as a kid was the 80s pop rock stuff by them. Granted, that era is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me; however, once I listened to their 70s work, I instantly knew why they never blew up in the U.S. until Follow You Follow Me. I get the sense that a lot of the American audience would have seen them as too avant-garde or perhaps too "English" whereas bands like Yes and ELP were a bit more willing to cater to the American market back then. 

Still, I'm incredibly grateful to have discovered their 70s work over time... not just the Gabriel-led work, but also the Collins-led albums that I find quite underappreciated (particularly W&W and ATTWT)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:54
I'll post this one again, I posted couple pages back. I think this one is fantastic assessment of a great Genesis song.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:11
Hi,

Is there a complete list of his shows somewhere? Been looking for it!

Thx in advance
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 13:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Is there a complete list of his shows somewhere? Been looking for it!

Thx in advance

Above is a playlist of all his shows from episodes 1 to 200. It seems that 200 videos is the maximum for an embedded playlist in a post on this site. However, the following link to YouTube is a link to a complete playlist which will probably continue to be updated:

Edited by I prophesy disaster - November 19 2021 at 14:09
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 19:58

Above is a playlist of all his shows from episodes 1 to 200. It seems that 200 videos is the maximum for an embedded playlist in a post on this site. However, the following link to YouTube is a link to a complete playlist which will probably continue to be updated:

Hi,

Awesome ... thx. I wanted to get a listing to see what I wanted to listen to, since a lot of stuff is not interesting for me. 
www.pedrosena.com
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 22:58
Atom Heart Mother suite today. My favourite PF piece of music.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:10
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Hi,

I just quit his site and its membership. Was truly disappointed that his website was not updated with the new stuff, and it looks like it's just sitting on the same stuff a week later.

ATM, is special for me, and I'm not surprised that some folks "don't get it", or "don't like it", because in the end, it is NOT a rock song per se, but a suite of music, and rock fans have an aversion to most things that do not fit their conformity and style, or a song that belongs in the top ten, AND does not have a guitar solo!

ATM speaks beautifully for a time when a lot of bands experimented and tried a lot of different things. I think that composer Ron Geesin deserves more credit for this one, though, as the orchestration was magnificent and the music stood up, even today and we're talking 50+ years.

It is, by far, likely to be one of the most obvious "examples" of "progressive music" and how far people tried different things. Most folks that ever used an orchestra or choir (DD did mention that), was to make sure that the orchestra was second best and only supported the band, and in the case of ATM this is not what you thing, or I think, or DD thinks ... it is a magnificent piece of "classical music", with a few more sound effects, which is something that Ron Geesin did a lot with in his own solo albums (a lot of fun to listen to, btw). But, it fit PF (at the time) and the whole conceptual nature of ATM, if there was such a thing and could be considered that, and how they eventually worked their "quadraphonic sound" into the music itself, and then a few years later ended up with The Wall. 

As such, it is a tremendous piece of history in music, although most rock fans don't think in terms of "music" at all ... they think in terms of their favorite guitar solo, or singer, or the overly done impression that most bands tend to offer as a show of their "importance" ... PF did not need to show their importance. They just worked with a composer to create something that 99 out of 100 rock bands could not even conceive or appreciate.

Enough said. Shame I could not post this on the DD site ... but it is what it is and I am not enjoying his MOR style of choices. I appreciate him having done "Echoes" and then "Atom Heart Mother", but all in all, more than half of his stuff I am not impressed with at all. Too much middle of the road stuff that is over played and not worth the mention.
www.pedrosena.com
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I just quit his site and its membership. Was truly disappointed that his website was not updated with the new stuff, and it looks like it's just sitting on the same stuff a week later.

ATM, is special for me, and I'm not surprised that some folks "don't get it", or "don't like it", because in the end, it is NOT a rock song per se, but a suite of music, and rock fans have an aversion to most things that do not fit their conformity and style, or a song that belongs in the top ten, AND does not have a guitar solo!

ATM speaks beautifully for a time when a lot of bands experimented and tried a lot of different things. I think that composer Ron Geesin deserves more credit for this one, though, as the orchestration was magnificent and the music stood up, even today and we're talking 50+ years.

It is, by far, likely to be one of the most obvious "examples" of "progressive music" and how far people tried different things. Most folks that ever used an orchestra or choir (DD did mention that), was to make sure that the orchestra was second best and only supported the band, and in the case of ATM this is not what you thing, or I think, or DD thinks ... it is a magnificent piece of "classical music", with a few more sound effects, which is something that Ron Geesin did a lot with in his own solo albums (a lot of fun to listen to, btw). But, it fit PF (at the time) and the whole conceptual nature of ATM, if there was such a thing and could be considered that, and how they eventually worked their "quadraphonic sound" into the music itself, and then a few years later ended up with The Wall. 

As such, it is a tremendous piece of history in music, although most rock fans don't think in terms of "music" at all ... they think in terms of their favorite guitar solo, or singer, or the overly done impression that most bands tend to offer as a show of their "importance" ... PF did not need to show their importance. They just worked with a composer to create something that 99 out of 100 rock bands could not even conceive or appreciate.

Enough said. Shame I could not post this on the DD site ... but it is what it is and I am not enjoying his MOR style of choices. I appreciate him having done "Echoes" and then "Atom Heart Mother", but all in all, more than half of his stuff I am not impressed with at all. Too much middle of the road stuff that is over played and not worth the mention.

What the f**k? Not to be an ass, but this seems unreasonably petty. I understand having such a love for a piece, but you're seriously gonna cancel Doug entirely for his website not being updated to include the new week, and having a few questionable song choices? I think you're seriously blowing this out of proportion; just saying. 

Edited by Necrotica - November 20 2021 at 06:30

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:45

What the f**k? Not to be an ass, but this seems unreasonably petty. I understand having such a love for a piece, but you're seriously gonna cancel Doug entirely for his website not being updated to include the new week, and having a few questionable song choices? I think you're seriously blowing this out of proportion; just saying. 

Hi,

Look who's talking. Take a look at the mirror first.

I don't "dislike" DD ... I merely think that too many of his choices are MOR for my tastes, and I have been into "progressive music" for 53 years, and was "there" at the start, and stayed with it all along. 

I was around when FM radio meant GREAT MUSIC, and a lot of far out stuff came out before the great American Corporate Rape bought all the FM stations and turned them all to "classic rock" which many folks today have in the background, and never really listen to, and then go around saying that everything else is not as good as the top ten.

There is no top ten in heaven or hell ... just ashes and/or atoms for the universe. DD's preferences are not the great representations of what "progressive music" really is, and I wish he would stop using the term, personally, since his show is not exactly about "progressive" anything, other than (possibly) a few pieces here and there. Of some 250+ shows, maybe about 10 to 15 pieces ... not a great percentage.

But the main difference is that I am not a rookie, or a beginner, in the field of "progressive" arts, and I don't mean just music, since I also talk about art and film and theater, something that you might not relate to ... since your favorite this and that is not an art ... it's just a song you might forget ten years from now, and then say ... gosh I was so silly! Guess what ... the stuff I have been with for all that time, is still the most impressive history of music EVER ... specially when you place it against a context of classical music and in a scale that would cover nearly 100 years for the 20th century. 

I doubt that you can see that, and are simply defending DD ... but to me, it's like ... there is no history, just DD ... and my friend ... THAT IS NOT TRUE!
www.pedrosena.com
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:52

I was really stoked to see that one come up too. My favorite Floyd as well.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 20 2021 at 06:52
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>