Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

But the main difference is that I am not a rookie, or a beginner, in the field of "progressive" arts, and I don't mean just music, since I also talk about art and film and theater, something that you might not relate to ... since your favorite this and that is not an art

Thank you for being so patronizing and arrogant. What do you even know about me and my tastes? You're speaking as if a beginner in prog (like Doug presumably) shouldn't discuss it or listen to it because he or she is not "enlightened" enough. In any case, I've been listening to it for 20 years now and have been heavily invested in the genre and its subgenres since then. Either way, you're coming across as an elitist here.

Edited by Necrotica - November 20 2021 at 07:00
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 01:08
As no one else has shared this, I will. I wept (several times) - as I often do while listening to this stunning work of art. Don't need Doug for it to have that effect on me. And other than musically this episode wasn't nessecarely a highlight. But when what he does "works" for me, is when a much loved and familiar tune like this one, almost feels brand new again. Now I appreciate all the thought and effort invested by the band into this piece, even a little more than I already did.

I also learned in the comment section (by Major Gruber) that:

The  strings, horns and choirs were added to the tracks at studios in London, without the band's knowledge or request.  I was actually pretty shocked to learn the band didn't like the studio version as it's really an outstanding piece of music. Understandable they'd feel betrayed, but I thought they should have realized how ironic and beneficial those additions really were.

+ that Jerry (Garcia) said “making records in the studio was like building a ship in a bottle, playing live was like being in a row boat on the ocean”

-which is understandable coming from him. But in my life I've always liked the challenge of "building a ship in a bottle" (metaphorically speaking), and probably enjoy listening to artists doing the best they can within the limits of the studio... a little extra.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 07:33
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Thank you for being so patronizing and arrogant. What do you even know about me and my tastes? You're speaking as if a beginner in prog (like Doug presumably) shouldn't discuss it or listen to it because he or she is not "enlightened" enough. In any case, I've been listening to it for 20 years now and have been heavily invested in the genre and its subgenres since then. Either way, you're coming across as an elitist here.

Hi,

You are grossly misinterpreting what I said. Because I think that a lot of rock music deserves more of a stature upgrade to that of ART, does not make me an elitist, but it makes you a very poor analyst of the comment and situation. You don't care for the art (so it seems) of it all, to the point that you think that anyone that does, is an "elitist".

Your taste and love for the music is not an issue, but hopefully one day it will be appreciated as a proper ART FORM, instead of just a bunch of "classic songs" that many of the old FM radio stations play nowadays, which many of the songs and bands today are probably doomed to be a part of!

But the discussions, should not be about "me", or "you" at all, and this is the sad side of things that you simply took it personal and replied likewise, and could not exactly discuss the main topic of what I stated.

Edited by moshkito - December 04 2021 at 08:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 10:40
This week on Wednesday, Doug will be doing Karn Evil 9Thumbs Up I'll be looking forward to this.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 11:53
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

This week on Wednesday, Doug will be doing Karn Evil 9Thumbs Up I'll be looking forward to this.

Yes this will be good Clap
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 12:09

There is no top ten in heaven or hell ...
The circles of hell is a HOT top nine though.
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 12:30
I really enjoyed Doug's reaction to Atom Heart Mother, one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 12:54
Here's one I just found....Doug gives an excellent analysis of one of my favorite songs by (Richie Blackmore's) Rainbow, "Stargazer"

I appreciate his admiration of Ronnie James Dio, I always thought he was one of the best vocalists in rock/metal!

I'd never paid attention to the lyrics before, but they certainly seem to apply to modern times including America!

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 02:47
deleted post

Edited by I prophesy disaster - November 25 2021 at 03:04
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 03:02
Karn Evil 9

Edited by I prophesy disaster - November 25 2021 at 03:02
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 07:02
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Karn Evil 9

Hi

It's actually nice to see someone respond to this piece of music, and although DD can get into the incredible bits of orchestration of this piece (how do they do this live?) ... and the drumming ... in the end, I felt something missing.

I don't know what it is. I can't tell you. 

At the time, listening to this, it was difficult to get to what they were getting on about, although one thing was clear, and it was the computer image, even though at the time, there really were not available a lot of computers in order to be able to make the statements that they made here, though eventually the computerized thing took over by the 90's when personal computers were now possible and available to the public.

I do think that in some ways, it was less about the computers than it was about the mechanical voice of their audience, which continually wanted to hear their "hits" when all three of them were more interested in their music altogether than apart ... and to this day, not many fans of the band really can come to grips with this, and the incredible composing talents that helped Keith Emerson develop ... some musicianship that is above and beyond a lot of keyboard players, and should be RIGHTLY mentioned as a major composer, when these things are shown as a piano piece or an organ piece as Rachel Flowers has shown us.

The conflict, and it is in a couple of bootlegs, but blanked out in the live albums, were easy to hear ... during one part of Tarkus in a bootleg, several fans screaming ... Lucky Man ... and you or I would be upset if we were on the stage ... and eventually some folks did not like this ... and there is a story of Jim Morrison stopping everything, and telling them to shut up ... and stood still for many minutes and no one moved a finger ... and then he was able to continue the show and an hour later got a massive ovation ... he had won this battle with the audience. But ELP, could not win this battle ... their shows were too big, and the logistics were insane, not to mention the orchestra story that literally killed their spirits and lost them and the record company some money ... but I doubt that any record company is complaining about the money made that they are pocketing STILL today!

Today, listening to this piece introduced by DD, is a bit different ... all of a sudden you recognize the bits and pieces of incredible musicianship in the piece, that you did not exactly register before, or then! And, in some ways, this is good, and makes the appreciation of the piece/album that much better and more open to your ears.

Which is a good thing. You get to appreciate a great piece of music, although many folks don't seem to like the conceptual side of things in this album (same thing way back when!), and feel that the band should have just done a bunch of songs ... well, I don't think they would be ELP if it weren't for these compositions, rather than just songs, and this is what we MUST REMEMBER and is the difference between a great band, and just another band out there with a hit single!

Well done, DD, although I could ask that he listen to things once before so he can better discuss the details that he wants to, since he is always surprised when something unusual happens and in the case of ELP it WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, and it DID. When a person treats a lot of this music as just "songs", I am not sure that DD (and others) can appreciate the further potential of the music, and, as we know, and time has shown us, ELP deserves the credit for great music, which is still appreciated, and justifiably so!

Good job DD ... 

Edited by moshkito - November 25 2021 at 07:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 09:44
I first watched a video from his channel a few weeks ago, and now I'm watching all the videos. YouTubers who tend to react to songs or albums tend to overdo it or don't know how to make it entertaining, and Doug is the opposite of that! Aside from the fact that it's admirable for an old man to be so committed to a genre he's unfamiliar with, you can see the entertainment and curiosity in his face. I find it very funny the way he is amazed when he hears the booming parts of the songs (for example, how he reacts to Wakeman's church organ going into Close To The Edge). Right now I'm watching the reaction to Karn Evil 9 and he looks very happy. I hope this channel lasts for years to come!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 15:04
I enjoyed the Karn Evil 9 reaction. I especially appreciated how he picked up on the, "Welcome back my friends...." start of 1st Impression Part 2. He is spot on in that on the LP version it is the start of Side II which back in the day gave us original listeners that impact of the song, another example of how digital/CD takes away from the original purpose of the music order.

I did not think there is much he would not like about that piece, he did a great job when he analyzed Tarkus as well.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 17:07

...although I could ask that he listen to things once before so he can better discuss the details that he wants to, since he is always surprised when something unusual happens....

Jesus help the poor, frothing invalid. The premise of the videos are....a first reaction. That is the point. There is no other point to his reviews. To listen with fresh ears to something that he is not familiar with, and give immediate and honest feedback without rehearsal. What part of that don't you get? Have you so stewed your synapses with cheap sangria and Mexican dirt weed in the 60s that you continue to repeat a senseless and nonsensical harangue that has absolutely nothing to do with the presentation? 

I am sure he could wax poetical on Bach Chorales which he has studied in detail and conducted over the years. He could probably quote verbatim particulars from any Te Deum or the Ave Maria, but he is traveling outside of his purview. 

First. Reaction. 
That. Is. The. Point. 
That. Has. Always. Been. The. Point. 
That. Will. Continue. To. Be. The. Point. 
Stop. Typing. And. Think. 
Before. You. Vomit. Further. Unintelligible. Paragraphs. On. This. Subject.

Edited by The Dark Elf - November 26 2021 at 17:09
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 19:27
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

frothing invalid.

The legal adage never gets old: It can't be slander if it's true. Would have been proud of that one myself. LOLClap

Edited by ExittheLemming - November 26 2021 at 19:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 05:18
Tubular Bells (Part 1)

Edited by I prophesy disaster - December 04 2021 at 05:27
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 07:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I enjoyed the Karn Evil 9 reaction. I especially appreciated how he picked up on the, "Welcome back my friends...." start of 1st Impression Part 2. He is spot on in that on the LP version it is the start of Side II which back in the day gave us original listeners that impact of the song, another example of how digital/CD takes away from the original purpose of the music order.

I did not think there is much he would not like about that piece, he did a great job when he analyzed Tarkus as well.
Being a huge ELP fan I decided to finally check Dougie out, so I actually gave this video a try a week ago. I wasn't successful. I just find the whole talking over the music for his 'analysis' a bit messy. He starts commenting on lyrics a verse after they are heard and another verse has started being sung. I guess this sort of video review just isn't my thing.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 07:07
you should try Tarkus. He has done it much better in front of the score
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 12:19
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Being a huge ELP fan I decided to finally check Dougie out, so I actually gave this video a try a week ago. I wasn't successful. I just find the whole talking over the music for his 'analysis' a bit messy. He starts commenting on lyrics a verse after they are heard and another verse has started being sung. I guess this sort of video review just isn't my thing.
I can see that JD, there are many videos of his that for me fall short when trying to follow along. I believe the main reason is that in almost all cases his reaction is truly a "reaction", rather than a review or structured analysis of both lyrics and music composition. Being that he is so highly educated with music I find his reactions to parts of an epic can be very entertaining and informative for me. I understand some stuff, but when he digs deep then I can go yea now I see why this pc moves me the way it does, or TBH, why the general public does not connect with it since it is too intense and complex.

What we should be smiling about is that he is concentrating so much of his reactions to progressive music, this is what is giving his educated mind the challenges.
For example the latest Friday one is Tubular Bells, I'm not finished watching that one as the music is just ok for me, I bought the album around 1980 but only spun it a few times then, only in the past 20yrs have I spun it a lot. What is amazing is that Mike Oldfield was 19 when he created that music, it seems Doug was pretty impressed with that fact.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 12:30
Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it. I like to watch movies with the talk over features sometimes. I think maybe I just really wanted to hear KE9 so I wished he would just shut up and let it play. And I know that's not the point. I think what I might need to do for any of his videos is to listen to the piece myself, undisturbed, first and then watch his video.
At least its not as wonky as the 'Unboxing' videos. Those I really don't get.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>