Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 07:06
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1 to 9)

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:41
^I enjoyed the revisitation. Haven't listened to it since it was played at the funeral of a friend.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 13:57
Yea that was a fun one...My fav Floyd album
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 14:49
I liked his impressions of WYWH. And yes, Doug, what the hell took you so long to listen to this album (minus the radio edit singles)?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 16:18
It is pretty astounding to realize all the stuff he hasn’t heard before. I’m kind of envious, really. 😆
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 17:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

It is pretty astounding to realize all the stuff he hasn’t heard before. I’m kind of envious, really. 😆

Not gonna lie, I've been a bit suspicious about that on some occasions. I understand him not having listened to a lot of the songs that he's reacted too, but some of them are just so ubiquitous with popular music culture and history that I feel he'd HAVE to have listened to them at least once.
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 21:27
This was fun. Reactions to Zappa are usually fun (when they’re positive).

Edited by HolyMoly - December 16 2021 at 05:03

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 05:06
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Not gonna lie, I've been a bit suspicious about that on some occasions. I understand him not having listened to a lot of the songs that he's reacted too, but some of them are just so ubiquitous with popular music culture and history that I feel he'd HAVE to have listened to them at least once.
I reckon you’re probably right, in the extreme cases. In any event, he does a pretty good job of at least appearing to hear it for the first time. In the end, it’s his personality that really sells it for me.

-Kehlog Albran
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 06:17

I reckon you’re probably right, in the extreme cases. In any event, he does a pretty good job of at least appearing to hear it for the first time. In the end, it’s his personality that really sells it for me.
It's completely normal to have only heard the title track from Wish You Were Here. Most people "we" know have hardly listened to any album we'd considered a classic that "everyone" knows. + Doug has probably been in a classical/composer sort of bubble for most of his life.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 10:13
I'm not critical on what Doug says he has heard or not, I am sure there is a ton of material he is intimate with that us prog heads have never heard a note of. Proggers tend to be locked into this bubble and don't like to play outside.
I figured he would like all the Zappa stuff cause it is weird. This one he just posted is really good, especially with the score to follow along.

tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 10:26
Seen a few, generally like it.

Agree with those that mention, we cant expect him to either know about nor listen to the more obscure artist we all love. He comes from a completely different world and must respect that he takes time to address old stuff the gentle gaint. Unknown to 99,9% of the current music community.

Edited by tamijo_II - December 17 2021 at 10:28
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 05:43
The rest of Wish You Were Here

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 09:12
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1 to 9)

[tube/]

Right after the pipe smoke:

- "Why have I not ever listened to this? ... What the hell's wrong with me!???"   LOL

When Gilmour's soloing kicks in over the synths:

- "It's like hearing psychedelic blues!"    Clap

This was fun. Reactions to Zappa are usually fun (when they’re positive).

[tube/]

That was funny..  maybe not my favorite reaction videos' character (I'm thinking the rapper guys hearing Rush xD ), but he surely offers a different/useful angle and a fun time.

It seems he's very lyrical (which is understandable); he resounds a lot with the lyrics. Anyway, what a giant is Zappa and Apostrophe.. one of the first from him I got into, and an all time favorite of mine for its crystal-clear jazz-fusion content; it had been a while since I last heard it. Really an impressive one to stumble into.

Edited by Machinemessiah - December 21 2021 at 08:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 06:58

^ Reading Moshkito's post in the "favorite side" thread I realized the video was parts I to IX... (I had left it in the middle thinking it then came Welcome to The Machine).

[Keeps groovin'... Cool]

Wow.. words fail me a bit. Not for nothing WYWH sits here at the top of the progressive mountain by most accounts. Really beautiful, inspired, and heartfelt piece of music they brought in. How it sounds... and how it not decays for a moment. Felt moved in the end. The sparse but precise lyrics, the beautiful harmonies Doug describes..

I wonder if this is one of Doug's most liked and moving songs.. 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 08:20
I've always thought Roy Harper as the lead singer for "Have a Cigar" was an inspired choice for inclusion on this album, because he is an alien presence within the band-scape, like the recording industry suit who is there to ride the gravy train. Part of the machine, but not part of the soul of the band. Like Clare Torry on DSotM, Harper injects a different point of view and different delivery than David or Roger. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 08:27
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

^ Reading Moshkito's post in the "favorite side" thread I realized the video was parts I to IX... (I had left it in the middle thinking it then came Welcome to The Machine).

[Keeps groovin'... Cool]

Hi,

The sad thing was, that even in concert they did not do the whole thing on its own, and it may have been something that helped and pleased the record company, not necessarily the band. It helped sell the albums ... folks in 2 LA stations could not get enough of the two songs, because they were massive fingers to the industry, and to the folks that eventually bought their FM stations and took them all down ... (ask Jim Ladd about that ... he knows about it, but I think he has been paid to not say anything!)

And, to me, realizing that now, is really a shame, but it tells you the power of the rock music machine, by that time ... you could not do a "suite in 9 parts", because you are not Beethoven, or Tchaikovsky. You are a crap band that sold a few albums, and we want you to sell some more, just like you do! Within this context, the two songs in it are very important, although really different and on their own. But having Roy Harper to sing one of them, and add his sense to it, makes it fantastic, and I'm not sure that we see that ... since all we think about is just another rock song. The way this is sung, is way more than a rock song. And in many ways, it might have been the band saying ... we're not interested in hit songs ... which didn't happen in their next album but then in THE WALL it all caved in as some things were too good to miss, and all of a sudden when 3 minutes were taken and a whole bunch of millions of kids bought the single ... wow ... it sold more than the other albums, except DSOTM which was still in the charts and would be for at least 10 more years!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 10:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Karn Evil 9

Hi

It's actually nice to see someone respond to this piece of music, and although DD can get into the incredible bits of orchestration of this piece (how do they do this live?) ... and the drumming ... in the end, I felt something missing.

I don't know what it is. I can't tell you. 

At the time, listening to this, it was difficult to get to what they were getting on about, although one thing was clear, and it was the computer image, even though at the time, there really were not available a lot of computers in order to be able to make the statements that they made here, though eventually the computerized thing took over by the 90's when personal computers were now possible and available to the public.

I do think that in some ways, it was less about the computers than it was about the mechanical voice of their audience, which continually wanted to hear their "hits" when all three of them were more interested in their music altogether than apart ... and to this day, not many fans of the band really can come to grips with this, and the incredible composing talents that helped Keith Emerson develop ... some musicianship that is above and beyond a lot of keyboard players, and should be RIGHTLY mentioned as a major composer, when these things are shown as a piano piece or an organ piece as Rachel Flowers has shown us.

The conflict, and it is in a couple of bootlegs, but blanked out in the live albums, were easy to hear ... during one part of Tarkus in a bootleg, several fans screaming ... Lucky Man ... and you or I would be upset if we were on the stage ... and eventually some folks did not like this ... and there is a story of Jim Morrison stopping everything, and telling them to shut up ... and stood still for many minutes and no one moved a finger ... and then he was able to continue the show and an hour later got a massive ovation ... he had won this battle with the audience. But ELP, could not win this battle ... their shows were too big, and the logistics were insane, not to mention the orchestra story that literally killed their spirits and lost them and the record company some money ... but I doubt that any record company is complaining about the money made that they are pocketing STILL today!

Today, listening to this piece introduced by DD, is a bit different ... all of a sudden you recognize the bits and pieces of incredible musicianship in the piece, that you did not exactly register before, or then! And, in some ways, this is good, and makes the appreciation of the piece/album that much better and more open to your ears.

Which is a good thing. You get to appreciate a great piece of music, although many folks don't seem to like the conceptual side of things in this album (same thing way back when!), and feel that the band should have just done a bunch of songs ... well, I don't think they would be ELP if it weren't for these compositions, rather than just songs, and this is what we MUST REMEMBER and is the difference between a great band, and just another band out there with a hit single!

Well done, DD, although I could ask that he listen to things once before so he can better discuss the details that he wants to, since he is always surprised when something unusual happens and in the case of ELP it WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, and it DID. When a person treats a lot of this music as just "songs", I am not sure that DD (and others) can appreciate the further potential of the music, and, as we know, and time has shown us, ELP deserves the credit for great music, which is still appreciated, and justifiably so!

Good job DD ... 

Am I actually reading something positive and upbuilding coming from your fingers? I thought you were physically unable to do that. I often come here to read your negative comments about everyone else who enjoys music differently, just to encourage myself that I am not the worst human being alive.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2021 at 17:25

Was putting up with some other Doug videos..

(Saw this post on the 1st. page:)
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I liked his reactions to Machine Messiah and La Villa Strangiato. Haven't had the time to watch more, but hopefully will in the future.

Amazing he wasn't able to get the rhythm measure in Machine Messiah!  Stern Smile  (nor could I of course).   And lovely revisiting the 'chanting' section and how he enjoys it. So much to chew for him in this song with all the religious reference as well as in classical music's background.

Also Atom Heart Mother.. good one for Doug's take too..    He couldn't quite get the chord sequence! PF & Atom rule!

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2021 at 18:48

He does mention when he's already familiar with the song. For instance, Firth of Fifth he said he already knew it and Karn Evil 9 he said he was familiar with the "Welcome Back my Friends...." section. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 07:27
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Am I actually reading something positive and upbuilding coming from your fingers? I thought you were physically unable to do that. I often come here to read your negative comments about everyone else who enjoys music differently, just to encourage myself that I am not the worst human being alive.

Hi,

It is never my intention to be negative at all, although I tend to be cynical and rebellious when it comes to "populist" views and thoughts, not on a lot of our "favorite" bands, and certainly not the majority of the progressive list of folks in PA, for example.

Yes, I will make fun of Genesis and YES, in their later years, but it is not meant in a bad way, other than just having a good laugh. You and I can NOT, in any way, make any sense of Picasso's history of painting ... any more than we can of Genesis' discography, and us thinking one is better than the other is the thing that bothers me the most ... yeah as a favorite, but better or worse is too subjective to the listener and should not be applied to the artist ... I think that it means we're jealous ... they can do bad stuff and we can't get away with it, because we can't do epics, like they did! Something silly like that.

All in all, my main tone, is making sure that "progressive/prog" music is elevated, though some fan one time asked me how many floors! So you can imagine that mentality of it all, and how to present things and not be sick and silly all the time. My name is not Gonzo, and I am not exactly a person that enjoyed his work a whole lot, specially when he was actually also throwing a finger at RS and getting paid for it!

I simply have seen too much history and story since the 1950's. It all factors into my "definition" of things, and somehow, to me, there is no demarcation line between the arts, other than a different paint brush, and a different electric guitar, and now a computer instead of a typewriter .... and this is the hard part ... I'm not sure that the majority of folks commenting can see their appreciation in time. You can't look at Chuck, and Miles and Frank, and Mickey Mouse (Fantasia that is!) as just another "hit" like the ones you know.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>