Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2021 at 22:11
Three Tull tunes for the Winter Solstice....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 11:14
Heart of the Sunrise

Dogs

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 13:13
Never do we se Doug as bewildered than from this reaction, Yes is a dangerous band!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wGL_9Iq7yc
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 14:48
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Never do we se Doug as bewildered than from this reaction, Yes is a dangerous band!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wGL_9Iq7yc

Just watched it this morning....... Clap
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 16:09
I like the Daily Doug channel
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2022 at 21:37
Doug really loves him some Tull...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2022 at 14:08
Here, Doug analyses Triumvirat's best album!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2022 at 14:26
test
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2022 at 15:02
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

test

Pass.....on a bell curve LOL
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 04:07
Doug Helvering (of The Daily Doug) has just completed his journey into Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans. The full journey through the four sides of the album:

The Revealing Science of God - Dance of the Dawn

The Remembering - High the Memory

The Ancient - Giants Under the Sun

Ritual - Nous sommes du Soleil

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 10:52
Hi,

( a sort of "review" on this)

One slight point about this ... and specially TFTO ... 

One of the things that I learned about literature, the arts, the music ... and a lot of poetry ... is that we are not understanding our "position" in regards to the "story teller" and this is a serious issue ... 

Ex: Someone tells you a story ... and you understand it in a certain way, and it ends up meaning this and that for you ... and THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STORY TELLER ... who may have invented the story to begin with!

But we took the ideas and the thoughts out of it, and "decided" that it means something ... so it is easy to see how the translations of major prophets (Jesus of Nazareth specially) are so misinterpreted, since the translations are not his words anymore ... they are idealistic thoughts related to the translator of the "original". And this is something that I saw clearly in some translations of my own dad's work into English, and how off base I felt they were ... possibly, the language was not a good venue for the translation, but in the end, my thoughts are that the translator was more attached to his own ideology of symbols and literature (very common in professors of all kinds!) ... and we have to be careful with that ... or we end up getting so confused and not getting any idea what the whole piece is about at all.

Hearing the Daily Doug talking about TFTO is nice and I will say that appreciate the effort of him doing the whole thing, and trying to make sense of it all ... although my opinion is the one thing that is most important ... it's not about the "end" ... it's about the experience that makes it valuable and important ... and it was so different that we could not figure out what is was all about ... guess what all the greats in the arts do and show us, time and time again? I appreciate Doug's effort, but I'm not sure that it really reaches the level of "attainment" that the whole of TFTO would like to suggest even if Jon these days, does not discuss it anymore ... specially having to deal with one player saying that it is nothing but just another bouillabaise ... a very sad comment, although it fits in a funny sort of way, though I think that his idea of "composition" is so structured as opposed to something that was more "modern" and created new structures, which he is not attuned to.

And we spend our time trying to figure it out ... and in the end, words are not good enough of a representation of what we felt ... remember that "language" developed from a form of expression for various items and moments and eventually developed into a "full language" complete with grammar, and we are MAKING AN ASSUMPTION that this language is capable of "defining" things in other realms and languages, and the fact is that it is NOT capable of doing this properly, since the specific moments are "experiential" and not exactly universal, although the academic world enjoys making it look like some sort of comparative this or that to show that all languages are similar ... and if we take Peter Brook's studies into language for theater in so many languages, this is not true, specially as each language has its own "heart" and "beat" ... which differs from everything else.

I love TFTO and have done so since the day I first got it ... I knew it was valuable and important to me! And to this day, trying to study it ... defeats the whole thing. It is about the "experience" and "living" it ... as the sun does ... day in and day out ... until one day it is over and all the fuel in the sun is gone! And this world will be over like so many others before us! At that point, I'm not sure that "meaning" is really important at all ... but at least the appreciation of the life of it is important and we (generally) give it some credence, even though we disrespect a lot of humanity, in so many ways, to the point that what we end up thinking is corrupted and wasted.

The saddest moment in my life was crying when leaving the Long Beach Arena where I saw the TFTO that night by this band ... in the end, the audience came to listen to "Close to the Edge" and "Roundabout" and the size of the applause was the difference. The folks were there for the hits they liked ... not the experience of the band known as "YES" ... at the time! They were obviously looking to get more adventurous than just a song band for the radio ... and the fans made their thoughts known ... that's not what we want!

I have never seen another concert that deserved the credit for "spiritual" at its best ... but on that magic night, many people had no idea what magic was ... except the melody they liked and had heard before!

And this is the main reason why I always comment on the side of the "experience" and not what it is all supposed to mean, because most of the times they do not match for me. And I hear it this way because of the knowledge of three different languages and how they come together and fall apart so fast when the communication and translation misses the "point" ... when it is best to appreciate that the point was the expression of that second in time, and not anything else.

::: (a bit more!) BTW ... listening to it today ... there are many things that I hear ... I hear Richard Pinhas here in his early days. I hear Robert Fripp here in his early experimental days ... and Steve Howe adapted very well to, since it helped extend and free form a lot of the stuff he liked to do! However, I think that many of us would consider them all parallel to each other and the feeling of doing things that were not conventional and learning from them. The main difference here, in YES, is that one person never falls flat of all these different things ... Chris Squire swims better than any duck you ever saw through it ... like he knew what it all meant and how to help make it better! Jon is fine, but if you separate Chris .. it a massive wow!

Edited by moshkito - November 12 2022 at 10:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 11:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

although my opinion is the one thing that is most important

And there it is, the distillation of paragraph upon paragraph of New Age pabulum -- like so many ants marching across the page looking for something...anything...that makes sense in their little ant world. 

But your opinion is not what is most important. Your opinion does not supercede what Dr. Doug's reaction was to this -- any more so than Rick Wakeman's opinion that the album was pretentious twaddle, and a good half an hour longer than was necessary to make a cohesive album. He was so bored of the whole overwrought affair that during one of their shows Rick ordered out for curry and it was delivered to the stage, which he ate while playing. The curry probably had more spice than the recording.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 16:56
Hi,

Maybe if you were polite and read the whole sentence you would see it differently ... but you're like a washed out dirty gun that can't fire paper any more ... so you waste your high opinion on those you feel are not worthy of your toilet paper.

Get ce'real! For a change!

If you had the guts for a review or a real comment, instead of throw away lines, it might be worth your understanding, but it is so poor and so over rated by your own opinion that no one else can be as intelligent or as high minded as you!

Edited by moshkito - November 12 2022 at 16:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 02:28
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">although my opinion is the one thing that is most important</span>

And there it is, the distillation of paragraph upon paragraph of New Age pabulum -- like so many ants marching across the page looking for something...anything...that makes sense in their little ant world. 

But your opinion is not what is most important. Your opinion does not supercede what Dr. Doug's reaction was to this -- any more so than Rick Wakeman's opinion that the album was pretentious twaddle, and a good half an hour longer than was necessary to make a cohesive album. He was so bored of the whole overwrought affair that during one of their shows Rick ordered out for curry and it was delivered to the stage, which he ate while playing. The curry probably had more spice than the recording.  

C'mon The Dark Elf. We are just folks. We never understand things, what the things are all about. As Mr. Redcandle has said a billion times.

For instance, he once said in the "Top Five Novelist" thread:

"Kinda difficult to discuss, for example, if one takes the story of the vampire, going back to 1750 and Horace Walpole, all of a sudden, the vampire stories that Anne Rice did in her Erotic series (away from the pop stuff that is not half as good), makes a lot of sense and in some ways is a nice forward step in the stories of vampires, without copying a lot at all. But folks will only read one or two things of hers and have no idea what the whole thing is about."

Yet, he is so uniquely superior to anybody that he can do it about Stephen King. He said that he barely had read any of his works, but he also judged them thoroughly. Oh, and he can do and has done countless similar things.

Let's concede that we are just pitiable "folks", and always admit that Mr. Redcandle is right all the time.

Edited by Archisorcerus - November 13 2022 at 02:44
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 07:47
Doug is awesome.
The Prog Corner
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 14:40
It was a case of Haydn seek with The Daily Doug thread, where I had to double Bach to page nine of the Prog Lounge to find it again. I'd been Bizet checking out some of the best albums by Renaissance for my 10 X 10 Liszt and that's when I first came across Doug Helvering. He offers a different angle on some of our treasured prog classics, shattering the last Glass ceiling of prog with his deep analysis and informed perspective. Doug's Verdict is often Franck and forthright, but always amusing and informative. It's enlightening to see Doug un-Ravel some of the mysteries of prog, with keys, chords and time signatures constantly Chopin' and changin', but however complex the music, you just  know that Doug can Handel it with his classically trained background. And so, starting Orff with Renaissance, here's Doug's awestruck reaction upon hearing Things I Don't Understand for the first time, which he really DOES understand, on a much deeper level than I do. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 00:28
Doug is Bach again with a new Handel on an epic Renaissance song that's one of their Mozart-ful songs of all time. 

Doug will be Bach again later with his third and final Renaissance song, although he's Offenbach sooner. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 22 2023 at 00:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 03:51
As promised, it's The Daily Doug again with his reaction and Final Analysis of A Song for All Seasons. 

Does It Really Happen that Doug Helvering reviews the classic songs of YES too? Yes, It Can Happen, so that'll be my next stop on The Daily Doug's musical Odyssey. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 22 2023 at 03:57
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 07:39
Doug is awesome!!!
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718