Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis to tour again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis to tour again
    Posted: April 29 2021 at 15:41

NEW YORK — English rock band Genesis is returning to the U.S. for their first tour in 14 years. Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Phil Collins sitting posing for the camera © Provided by The Canadian Press

Phil Collins, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford announced The Last Domino? Tour on Thursday, which will kick off in Chicago on Nov. 15.

The 14-date tour will also visit Washington, D.C., Charlotte, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland and Philadelphia. The trek wraps in Boston on Dec. 15.

Genesis will play two shows in the New York area: They visit Madison Square Garden in New York City on Dec. 5 and will play the brand-new UBS Arena in Belmont Park on Dec. 10.

Tickets for the general public go on sale May 7.

On the tour, Collins, Banks and Rutherford will be joined by their longtime guitar and bass player Daryl Stuermer and Nic Collins on drums.

Genesis’ last U.S. tour was 2007’s Turn It On Again: The Tour.

Edited by JD - April 29 2021 at 15:44
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 15:48
Glad to see Daryl is back in the mix, they should have recorded with him.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 16:44
Nothing on the west coast.......Cry
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 23:33
Boston is only 75 mins from me; I may have a shot!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 01:54
Does that mean that the planned UK tour is dead?!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:08
I guess I won't see them if they don't come to California.

Edited by Manuel - April 30 2021 at 07:08
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 07:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nope, they're touring the UK prior to going to the States (September & October)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 17:20
Will the nurses from the retirement homes be the groupies? Smile

Seriously though, at first I wasn't sure but depending on the price this might be interesting. I guess this is their last hurrah I guess. Too bad there probably won't be an accompanying album.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 30 2021 at 17:21
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 21:21
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

You mean the East half of the States. Sucks for my Cali butt.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 00:25
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

You mean the East half of the States. Sucks for my Cali butt.

I really wonder what the logic behind that booking (or lack of it) is.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 00:57
Hi,

I'm thinking that they might (they might!!!) set up a West Coast set of stops later, depending how they feel after these 15 shows, and how Phil holds up.

But the West Coast, has very limited attraction with good shows possible in LA, SF and Seattle, but everything in between is kinda not ... as good moneywise, I don't think. But the distances and the logistics with those distances make things different ...

Heck, Portland would be good for them, but Portland is not known for doing great/good shows other than the top ten variety as they passed on RETURN TO FOREVER a few years back that put on a massive show in Eugene instead. AND, they even had Jean Luc Ponty with them ... you got a massive value ... but Portland doesn't care about value ... and the local orchestra can only do stuff they can use Pink Martini on !!!!

Edited by moshkito - May 01 2021 at 00:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 07:22
if poor Phil makes it to the start of the tour will be a great achievement ...no Steve no Genesis.Tongue
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:41
I was interested in the O2 London gig. I am not a big fan of later Genesis but it's a one off. Two tickets are £450! By the time I've had a few drinks and a meal it would be well over 500 quid.
I'm sure there are many fans who will pay that kind of money but I just couldn't justify that kind of outlay.
Hackett doing Seconds Out at the Palladium for me.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:03
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

I was interested in the O2 London gig. I am not a big fan of later Genesis but it's a one off. Two tickets are £450! By the time I've had a few drinks and a meal it would be well over 500 quid.

Hi,

Unfortunately in the business of the arts, the price is always exorbitant when it comes to the really big stars ... you could not see Nureyev or Baryshnikov without spending a fortune, and for a long time, Pavarotti could only do a few places around the world where it would sell out immediately regardless of price.

Sadly, in the rock business, the same thing has taken place, and many of these bands still think they can milk the public and so what? Right! I still think that a streamed show, only available at the time of the show (for example) would sell out three/four times as much for half that price ... but I don't see these mega bands interested in advancing the technology and style into a more progressive area ... which in many ways explains things poetically and conceptually ... they don't "have it" anymore, and will rely on their laurels. At least you gotta hand it to the Rolling Stones, who are still creating new material ... whereas everyone has folded.

I would not even consider seeing any of these monsters. I never did see Genesis, but caught PG on his first tour in the USA ... and it was fine, not great ... and I think he was too much into "his songs" ... and I didn't exactly feel they were that great ... though they were fine and I still have the albums.

The real treat would be if they had the balls to have PG show up for a couple of songs, and that would give the fans a memory worth having in your collage ... but sadly ... for them it's not about the great music ... it's something else entirely.

At this time and place, there are only 2 folks I would pay to see ... VdGG and Vangelis. I would have said AD2 but their will and band is decimated and they are stuck in a "no rehearsal" kind of thing and at times they just do not sound good, and it makes me sad. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:50

I'm sure there are many fans who will pay that kind of money but I just couldn't justify that kind of outlay.

£450!!! I'll be giving that a big miss then. To be honest I'd rather see Hackett anyway.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[EDIT] At least you gotta hand it to the Rolling Stones, who are still creating new material ... whereas everyone has folded.

Really? New Material? Haven't they taken all their licks from the American blues scene?

The real treat would be if they had the balls to have PG show up for a couple of songs, and that would give the fans a memory worth having in your collage ... but sadly ... for them it's not about the great music ... it's something else entirely.

Don't have the balls? it doesn't take balls. What you are proposing is called 'pandering to the fans', and I have no doubt PG is far above that. He has his own voice now. If he wanted to retread the 'ol genesis stuff he would, but he doesn't need to. While Steve Hackett chose to go that route, I sort of feel he spent a little too much time with it. Like Gabriel, he has plenty of solid original material to perform.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Boston is only 75 mins from me; I may have a shot!!!

Where are you Frenetic? I'm in Quincy
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:40
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

What you are proposing is called 'pandering to the fans', and I have no doubt PG is far above that. He has his own voice now. If he wanted to retread the 'ol genesis stuff he would, but he doesn't need to. 
Hi,

Not really ... I was more thinking as an interest that made the show better, instead of yet another song, from what many think is 2nd rate material.

I'm old school ... I thought GENESIS was great until PG left, though they had one more album that probably was already half written by them anyway ... that showed an interesting prospect ... but that ended right there.

PG showing up, would be a treat ... not exactly a dreamy old story from the past. At the time, I could not even consider GENESIS ... when there were so many other European groups around ... PFM, Golden Earring, Focus, Kayak, and many others that were getting the chance ... and GENESIS lost it for me.

Edited by moshkito - May 02 2021 at 12:49
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 13:10
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

£450!!! I'll be giving that a big miss then. To be honest I'd rather see Hackett anyway.

Bloody hell! £450??!!

I have just paid a couple of hundred quid for four tickets to see Hackett (with my son) and Marillion (with my wife), so worked out at something like £50 a throw, which I can live with.

I love Genesis, and have seen them numerous times since the first one at The Lyceum (the one which is on YouTube) but I would never have paid that amount of money even then, let alone when there is a serious doubt as to Phil’s ability and only one drummer.

Pass.......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 13:11
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

[EDIT] At least you gotta hand it to the Rolling Stones, who are still creating new material ... whereas everyone has folded.

Really? New Material? Haven't they taken all their licks from the American blues scene?

Don't have the balls? it doesn't take balls. What you are proposing is called 'pandering to the fans', and I have no doubt PG is far above that. He has his own voice now. If he wanted to retread the 'ol genesis stuff he would, but he doesn't need to. While Steve Hackett chose to go that route, I sort of feel he spent a little too much time with it. Like Gabriel, he has plenty of solid original material to perform.

Even though I am going to see Hackett (see above post) I really absolutely agree with this extremely wise post.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>