Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which of these four Embryo Epics is your favorite?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which of these four Embryo Epics is your favorite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose between these 4 Embryo Epics
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [37.50%]
3 [37.50%]
1 [12.50%]
1 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which of these four Embryo Epics is your favorite?
    Posted: April 30 2021 at 08:34
choose one of these four Embryo epics. great drumming by Christian Burchard on all 4:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Theprogelitist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 08:44
I have not heard these before, will check out

Edited by Theprogelitist - April 30 2021 at 08:44
ralphabet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralphabet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 10:17
I love all of the early Brain sessions very dearly; I think Call hits all my sweet spots for what makes a great extended jam. And aside from the abruptly loud sax soloing on Entrances I think that one hits some great highs, plus it has a wonderfully hypnotic flow to it. I can’t quite pick a favourite off the top of my head but I’m going for Call today as I suppose it’s a bit more varied.

Place to Go is excellent as well, haven’t heard much material post-“We Keep On” as of yet, but if there are some equally brilliant high points I’ll have to check some of that out. But it’s great to see the band talked about either way!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 14:03
Steig Aus is wonderful in everyway, including Call. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 16:03
voted Call and Steig Aus it´s my favorite Embryo album
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 16:49
Originally posted by ralphabet ralphabet wrote:

I love all of the early Brain sessions very dearly; I think Call hits all my sweet spots for what makes a great extended jam. And aside from the abruptly loud sax soloing on Entrances I think that one hits some great highs, plus it has a wonderfully hypnotic flow to it. I can’t quite pick a favourite off the top of my head but I’m going for Call today as I suppose it’s a bit more varied.

Place to Go is excellent as well, haven’t heard much material post-“We Keep On” as of yet, but if there are some equally brilliant high points I’ll have to check some of that out. But it’s great to see the band talked about either way!
µ

like you, the first three choices are difficult to set apart by a vote preference , but i'm not really familiar with post-We Keep On stuff.

I had listened to a few of these later-70's weird albums for reviewing reasons, but have no memory (except for Reise's raga thingie), but the 80's saw them going even further into world music, losing me in the process.

Even for their early albums, I admit I should revisit them.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 18:34
Nice to see an Embryo poll for a change. No Place to Go gest my vote.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2021 at 18:43
CALL

all the way!

I agree, Embryo is woefully underappreciated on this prog site.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 04:00
I know the first two but will give the other ones a chance... this one shouldn't be buried under all these "fun" PF polls for sure...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 05:05
Love all of these...and may I just add what a wonderful thing to see an Embryo poll
Head honcho Christian Burchard has always been a fave of mine. I love the fluid feel of his and what seems like a man totally bereft of ego...or well maybe it shines through in other facets in his playing...because I often find myself listening to drums differently with him behind the kit.
I want to vote for both Entrances and No Place To Go with Charlie Mariano but ultimately decided to go for the former. It is after all from my favourite studio album of theirs
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 05:13
I listened to these earlier today, but something came up and so I neglected to participate. "Entrances" for me.

Not saying that one should have been included from it, but overall my favourite Embryo album is Embryo's Rache.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Love all of these...and may I just add what a wonderful thing to see an Embryo poll
Head honcho Christian Burchard has always been a fave of mine. I love the fluid feel of his and what seems like a man totally bereft of ego...or well maybe it shines through in other facets in his playing...because I often find myself listening to drums differently with him behind the kit.
I want to vote for both Entrances and No Place To Go with Charlie Mariano but ultimately decided to go for the former. It is after all from my favourite studio album of theirs

Yes, Burchard is not the guy to play "flashy" like some other drummers. But not because he can't; occasionally he comes up with one of those flashy fill-ins (the opening on the track from "We Keep On" is one of those occasions). But this is rare; he feels he doesn't need to do this. And the fill-ins he does that are not flashy are nevertheless interesting and wonderfully flow with the music.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 14:19
I remember one Embryo concert Friede and I attended. they were playing some of their really complicated stuff that evening (anyone who is familiar with the Embryo discography knows that some of their rhythms are really tricky). the amazing thing was the whole audience was dancing to these complicated rhythms. of course Friede and I were dancing too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply