Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are RUSH actually Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are RUSH actually Prog?
    Posted: May 02 2021 at 00:00
because to me they sound like HR musicians with a bigger bag of tricks, for the most part.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 00:18
Originally posted by Un Amico Un Amico wrote:

because to me they sound like HR musicians with a bigger bag of tricks, for the most part.

Thanks, I've always felt that way myself, but ours is the minority opinion on PA. 

Welcome to the forum by the way!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 00:23
Thank you.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 00:25

RUSH has always had that "hard rock with progressive elements added" vs being genuine progressive hard rock, if that makes sense; DESPITE having some pieces that may or may not constitute the latter. It's like crossover with rock/metal instead of pop.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 00:47
Yes...I don't know why it bothers me that they are considered Prog, but it does.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 00:52
They created hard rock with expanded scope in the late 70s; the multi-part side-long epics also helped them receive the progressive tag, just like the occasional sci-fi themes and complex concepts, and each one of them was a master of his instrument.
I accept them as a prog band for sure, but do not forget that this is just a way to classify a band. And the umbrella that progressive rock is, is quite vast!

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - May 02 2021 at 00:53
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 01:02
Guess it's a bit like an extended family...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 01:06
They had a period where they were prog, so that's enough to put them in the stew. And I say this as not really a fan of Rush, but its hard not to include things like 2112, Cygnus X-1 (both books), La Villa Strangiato as prog essentials. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 01:07
Some times yes...other times not so much...like Genesis, Jethro Tull, Zappa, Floyd and a whole slew of others.
La Villa Strangiato is about as pork as any other piece from the above mentioned acts...but Rush also released a lot of AOR-like material...just like Genesis did..and so forth.
Bands don’t always sound the same..luckily so
Imagine having to classify Genesis and you only got The Lamb and Invisible Touch. What are they prog or pop? If you ask most folks around the world I’m fairly certain you’ll get the pop answer...but perhaps not if you ask around on PA
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 01:09
Ah but do they use a mellotron?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 01:15
Back in the 1980s I noticed that the people who had Rush patches sewn onto their sleeveless denim jackets were Metal fans. They all had Priest, Motorhead, Maiden and Rush on their backs.That was the image that stuck with me.

Edited by Un Amico - May 02 2021 at 01:19
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 01:47

Back in the 1980s I noticed that the people who had Rush patches sewn onto their sleeveless denim jackets were Metal fans. They all had Priest, Motorhead, Maiden and Rush on their backs.That was the image that stuck with me.

In the late 70’s to 80’s, there was a huge amount of crossover between metal and prog fans. I was a massive fan of both.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 03:11
Yes. Smile
Bigger on the inside.
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 03:15
Well, yes, they do sometimes overlap. Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son has a lot of Prog in it, for example.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 03:44
I'd say from Caress of Steel to Permanent Waves they were about as prog as you can get, with a fairly hard rock element, but then veered off into other territories but then so did bands such as Genesis.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:21

hard rock + a bigger bangs of tricks = heavy prog. 
TongueLOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:55
I don’t think Rush is any more or less prog than bands like Split Enz and Genesis. They have some fairly undeniably prog albums in their early years, before heading into more pop territory. However, with all these bands, even in their later albums that are routinely derided as not being prog, the prog elements remain. They are merely more accessible and commercial. But there’s still plenty of prog there, especially on the so called “deep cuts” of the more poppy albums. Just because it’s dressed in different clothes, doesn’t means there’s not still some prog below the surface. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Personally, I don’t care whether or not something is prog. I only care if I like it. If you like Rush, does it really matter to you if they are prog or not? And if you don’t like Rush, why should it matter at all? 🤔

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 05:44
I consider Rush to be a kind of Prog for some of its albums and tracks, and not for others. Hemispheres was the first Rush album that I fell for and I absolutely considered it to be Prog. As is to be expected in Prog, the band, specific albums and tracks can have many labels. Rateyourmusic labels it as Progressive Rock, Hard Rock, Pop Rock, AOR, Progressive Pop, Blues Rock overall and tags different albums in different ways. Sometimes I say that I don't consider bands to be Prog so much as particular music by bands as Prog, although some bands do have a more progressive approach overall than others.

It can also depend on how you define Prog, and for this Prog umbrella that we use at PA, I can work with various definitions. There can be such a breadth of music under the Prog label umbrella. It doesn't have clear boundaries, is amorphous, nebulous. In fact I could say that progressive rock is rock, rock-based/ derived or rock-related music without boundaries. In one sense I see progressive rock as music that can break free, or seeks to break free, of established rock conventions, a sort of non-generic and non-canonic rock, and it can blend styles/ genres, play with form. It can be seen as music that progresses away from rock music. Some are more prog in this sense than others. It can be seen as experimental rock, and some are more experimental than others. To some it refers more to am established style than an approach (some Prog is more generically Prog than others).

There is progressive rock where the progressive is more adjectival and Progressive Rock where the Prog label is more generic. Rush is a kind of generic Prog to me for most of its 70s and 80s albums, while not being very progressive in the sense that it did not move that far outside of its hard rock roots. Had it incorporated more styles of music (Prog often incorporates classical and jazz but also can be much more), been more diverse from album to album, had a wider array of instrumentation and been more experimental/ avant-garde, then it would be more progressive to me. I think that Prog in one way was an extension of the psychedelic movement, and that Rush was never really into that possibly could lessen its Prog creds somewhat from that perspective. They weren't the dropping acid and lets see what journey that takes us on kind to my knowledge. There is something conservative to me with Rush that lessens what I would consider to be a progressive mindset and approach to making music (it most always seem to have a foot quite firmly in the rock and hard rock mainstream).

Yes...I don't know why it bothers me that they are considered Prog, but it does.

It can be much harder to objectively assess something due to one's emotional biases and negative associations. It might help if you define what Prog means to you, then we can maybe see if that fits music by Rush and explore the question from that angle.

In the immortal words of Funkadelic, free your mind and your ass will follow.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 05:56
Hemispheres sounds like prog. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:24
Originally posted by gone gone wrote:

Rush have been considered as a Hard Rock band

Hardly surprising, nor particularly relevant - as strange as it might seem to say that. But prog is pretty much a retrospective label, rather than a contemporary one. Very few, if any of the classic prog bands were called prog at the time. They might have featured on the Progressive Charts, but so did artists like Rod Stewart. Progressive was certainly not synonymous with what we now think of prog at the time. I’m not sure when Prog as a label was first used, but I am definitely not surprised to see that Rush were not described as such back then....

Edited by Logan - May 02 2021 at 09:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>