Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are RUSH actually Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:31
Since there's not an actual definition of prog, it's very hard to draw the line in some cases. If Rush is not Prog, then most of the prog metal is also out of the picture. The only thing I care about is the music, and I love Rush's music.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Since there's not an actual definition of prog, it's very hard to draw the line in some cases. If Rush is not Prog, then most of the prog metal is also out of the picture. The only thing I care about is the music, and I love Rush's music.

Progressive metal is more than just Rush influenced. Put any kind of experimentation or just going beyond the verse-chorus-verse pattern (for lack of a better word) on any metal subgenre, I will call that progressive.

Edited by Cristi - May 02 2021 at 06:39
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:49
It's interesting how people use the mellotron as part of the definition of prog. In other words, "progressive rock" is a set of norms...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:18
Prog or not - I don't care. In Germany they were marketed as a hard rock band. They are one of the bands that leave me completely cold, and I have no idea why some people are so excited about them. But that's fine with me. Other people dislike Magma or VdGG, which are two of my favourite bands, but I can at least understand why. With Rush it is a mystery to me why people like them. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:26
well Getty and the others have said that Rush worshipped Yes---and they would have loved to do something as complex and intense as Relayer. So they do go into their bag of tricks to make it all sound complicated at times.I like some of the songs on all their albums but don't think they have a perfect album. Mostly for me they are a rock band filled with catchy hooks---verses and choruses. Which can be nice if you want some energetic music. Doesn't matter to me if they are prog prog. They aren't. But lots of bands here aren't. I do agree that the drummer has always been overrated---fast yes---but not a lot of swing---sort of cold.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:29
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Prog or not - I don't care. In Germany they were marketed as a hard rock band. They are one of the bands that leave me completely cold, and I have no idea why some people are so excited about them. But that's fine with me. Other people dislike Magma or VdGG, which are two of my favourite bands, but I can at least understand why. With Rush it is a mystery to me why people like them. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

How dare people like things you don't and vice versa Angry. Such shrill indifferenceLOL
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:32
Rush (along with Yes) do very little for me anyway.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

well Getty and the others have said that Rush worshipped Yes---and they would have loved to do something as complex and intense as Relayer. So they do go into their bag of tricks to make it all sound complicated at times.I like some of the songs on all their albums but don't think they have a perfect album. Mostly for me they are a rock band filled with catchy hooks---verses and choruses. Which can be nice if you want some energetic music. Doesn't matter to me if they are prog prog. They aren't. But lots of bands here aren't. I do agree that the drummer has always been overrated---fast yes---but not a lot of swing---sort of cold.

Exactly. His drumming feels planned ahead. "This is where I put in my roll over all the toms", and he does. He doesn't seem to go with the flow as a drummer in my opinion should. Technically he is excellent though; no doubt about this.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:38
I don't see how you could classify the albums 2112 to Moving Pictures as anything else but heavy prog. True most of their canon isn't but they earned those creds with the few stellar albums that qualify.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:14
Apart from Moving Waves, I've never really had any lasting affection for Rush. They always struck me as more admirable for their virtuosity and longevity than lovable. That said, and keeping on topic, their Prog credentials stand up to scrutiny with the 2112, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres trilogy (at the very least) all being indispensable and undisputed 70's Heavy (Guitar) Prog Rock albums. Rush are maybe one of a select few 1st Gen Prog bands that were bigger than the original genre that spawned them e.g. like say, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Crimson who all managed to adapt and prosper after the new wave hit circa 1976 by changing to a more economic Pop/Rock style with greater focus on songwriting than the grandiose multi-part instrumental oriented suites of yore. It maybe shouldn't require repeating (but I'm going to anyway) that one of the quirky features of this site is that if an artist has released even just one fully fledged Progressive Rock album then the whole discography gets admitted. This gives rise to the contentious anomaly of how you rate a plain vanilla Pop/Rock album using criteria devised for a Progressive Rock one etc. It strikes me as self defeating to exclude what can be some true masterpieces of NON Prog music that can and should be enjoyed by the PA membership. Non Prog music from artists included on PA is a feature, not a bug. Enjoy it and embrace it.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:25
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

It maybe shouldn't require repeating (but I'm going to anyway) that one of the quirky features of this site is that if an artist has released even just one fully fledged Progressive Rock album then the whole discography gets admitted.

This seems to be not always the case; there are apparently exceptions.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:27
What is HR?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What is HR?

Hard Rock in this context.

-------------------

As for Moving Waves, perhaps Focus and Rush should collaborate on Permanent Moving Pictures of Waves.

Edited by Logan - May 02 2021 at 08:38
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:36

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

It maybe shouldn't require repeating (but I'm going to anyway) that one of the quirky features of this site is that if an artist has released even just one fully fledged Progressive Rock album then the whole discography gets admitted.

This seems to be not always the case; there are apparently exceptions.

I'm talking exclusively about artists already admitted to PA. Can you provide example(s)?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:44
Barbara Dennerlein, for example. Her album "Hot Stuff" is definitely a jazz-rock/fusion album, yet she was rejected from the archives.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:47
You're misunderstanding Iain.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:53

Barbara Dennerlein, for example. Her album "Hot Stuff" is definitely a jazz-rock/fusion album, yet she was rejected from the archives.

There are many jazz-rock / fusion artists missing. The scope of the category isn't exhaustive and is reserved only for the MOST PROGRESSIVE artists that qualify therefore those who are more jazz oriented than rock are usually rejected. All of these artists are easily found on RYM or JMA so i assume the reason for this rule to prevent jazz artists who released a fusion album or two from being admitted (and some of them have well over 50 albums.) It took me many suggestions getting shot down before this made sense. Barbara is awesome whether she is here or not!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:57

Like I said previously, I'm talking exclusively about artists who have already been admitted to PA. Barbara Dennerlein has NOT been admitted to PA but if she were, her entire discography would be listed. I own several of her albums and enjoy them hugely but have to agree with the genre team decision(s) that she does not warrant inclusion on PA. Such a decision does not diminish or undermine her music in the slightest

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 02 2021 at 08:59
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:11
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

There are many jazz-rock / fusion artists missing. The scope of the category isn't exhaustive and is reserved only for the MOST PROGRESSIVE artists that qualify therefore those who are more jazz oriented than rock are usually rejected. All of these artists are easily found on RYM or JMA so i assume the reason for this rule to prevent jazz artists who released a fusion album or two from being admitted (and some of them have well over 50 albums.) It took me many suggestions getting shot down before this made sense. Barbara is awesome whether she is here or not!

But Barbara is extremely progressive and innovative. She equipped her Hammond B-3 with MIDI-technology back when that technology just came up, she plays on pipe organs on a regular basis, she has done albums with extremely experimental tracks that border on prog electronic, she has played with orchestras and big bands. And her six albums from 1989-1999 have lots of very rocky tracks on them, even if there are also tracks on them that are clearly in the jazz-field.

This track, although having some jazz elements, nevertheless sounds more like a prog rock track that is outside of jazz-rock/fusion, even if there are some elements in it. But it is definitely a rock track:

Edited by BaldFriede - May 02 2021 at 09:20

Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 09:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Un Amico Un Amico wrote:

because to me they sound like HR musicians with a bigger bag of tricks, for the most part.

hard rock + a bigger bangs of tricks = heavy prog. 
TongueLOL
pop + a bigger bangs of tricks = crossover prog. ?

Question
Not for rent. To any God or government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>