Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you want the half-star option?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you want to be able to assign half a star to an album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [75.00%]
7 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you want the half-star option?
    Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:48
This has been discussed several times, and I am bringing it up again. The half-star option seems to be a polemic topic, and this is why I will poll it. Tongue
Simply put, do you want to see it on PA or not? I would definitely prefer to have the option to assign 3.5 or 4.5 stars to an album, and I think many other PA-ers feel the same way. Let's see.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:51
it's not gonna happen, it can't I believe so... 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 04:59
No. No. No.

And, no.

Oh heck, just for good measure - no.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 05:06
I'm not remotely convinced we need it. The current five ratings available forces you to choose unequivocally. Increasing the resolution wont add any value to the rating function or make the results any more 'accurate*' IMO. Use a written review to articulate any ambivalence you might have (many reviewers do this already)
* Why are so many obsessed with a points sports ladder for what is NOT a sport? It's Art ffsConfused

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 02 2021 at 05:11
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 05:16
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'm not remotely convinced we need it. The current five ratings available forces you to choose unequivocally. Increasing the resolution wont add any value to the rating function or make the results any more 'accurate*' IMO. Use a written review to articulate any ambivalence you might have (many reviewers do this already)
* Why are so many obsessed with a points sports ladder for what is NOT a sport? It's Art ffsConfused

^ This.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 05:25
Neither poll option for me. I don't think we need it, and I don't think it's perfect as is.

I'm more interested in what people write about the music than a simple rating value. I do wish that we had the option to review albums without assigning a rating value at all. I used to read a lot of film reviews and I preferred those sources that didn't assign stars or numbers. That said, overall ratings can be a useful guide for me and I can see value in having ratings and refining those.

If there was a major overall site upgrade that did change that, one issue is that this site has been around since the early 2000s and those old ratings would be stuck as is unless people came back and re-did them (most would not and could not).

I care much more about being able to label "genre" on the album level and assigning multiple genres tags but that is another issue and would take a massive overhaul of the site.

Edited by Logan - May 02 2021 at 05:26
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 05:36
I like the 1/2 star option as a convenience because my mind always rates things out of 10.  But it really makes no difference as I can do that just as well as it is.

I do like Logan's multiple genre thoughts.  An example is Fairport, always seems lost or misplaced to me under Prog Related (whatever that means).
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:16
As usual, I agree with everything Greg says. 👍🏻🤗

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:16
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

No. No. No.

And, no.

I'll add another No to that and also a Big No-No to multiple genres. Smile 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:21
NOPE.
That level of resolution is completely unnecessary for this activity.

BTW, making a choice with two different answers (ie: No AND It is perfect as it is) is not the way to ask such a question.

Edited by JD - May 02 2021 at 06:25
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:29
^ Precisely, which is also what Greg said, and also why I have not voted. There is no option that fits with what I think.

Quite obviously, from my posted response, I believe the answer is no - but as I don’t think it’s perfect as is, even though I believe the answer is no, I can’t really vote for any option here.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:39
Absolutely yes, I've needed it many times.

But actually I am not a big fan of numeral ratings for several reasons.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 06:47
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

No. No. No.

And, no.

I'll add another No to that and also a Big No-No to multiple genres. Smile 

Have to agree to disagree with your genre no :)  I always thought the point of Genre is to place similar style of music as an assistance tool to help people to find something more in common to what they like to hear.  Therefore under one Genre a lot of artists sounds do seem to be completely misplaced.  Two Genre's would substantially increase success.

I could quote thousands or examples.  But here just a couple:

Folk - would allow for a Steeleye and Fairport comparison
Prog Related.  Does anyone seriously compare Kate Bush with Led Zeppelin.

But sorry this perhaps should be a different discussion topic.  Not relevant to this poll.

Nick

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:04
I don't see the problem with allowing 1/2 star ratings. If people don't want to use it -- then just click on whole stars. For everyone else, the feature is there.

And I agree with Logan about allowing multiple "tags" at the album level. It is ultimately more flexible, more descriptive, and avoids pigeon-holing a band into a genre based on one persons decision when adding a new band, or when the band has evolved over time and no longer fits that description.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:19
Multi Genre artist and album tagging has been kicked around the yard for many, many years but to no avail. Whenever the site owner (Max) has been approached with a request to implement this he has advised that such functionality is not possible due to limitations in the database software. PA is the oldest of Maxs' three sites (Metal Music Archives and Jazz Music Archives use newer software that does not have this limitation) I'm not a programmer or a techie guy so I can't say if this really is do-able for PA or if Max is being economic with the truth. (and maybe also the prohibitive cost and downtime that this might entail) I think you're probably flogging what is now glue and Mongolian burgers frankly.

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 02 2021 at 23:56
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:27
YES but we do get by without it. I always state if i find an album to be 3.5 or 4.5 or whatever and then simply round  up or down depending on any given album. The site does need upgrading in many ways so if they ever do give it an overhaul then it certainly would be more like MMA or JMA.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 07:44
Having multiple genre tagging is technically doable, but I do believe that this site would need to be rebuilt as the architecture does not support it. It would be a massive task, expensive and time intensive. It's something that I would like, think would greatly improve this site as an archive of music, but it's not something that I would expect, and I am not pushing for it.

There have been many discussions on that and adding half-stars over the years. I would not expect either, certainly not any time soon. If this domain with its aim survives for many years, no matter who the owner is then, then I would not be at all surprised to see a rebuild (while migrating over text and info). Technology changes, and this site could become far too obsolete.

It may not be pragmatic, at least at this time, but as to if it's ideal, that's another issue.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 08:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Neither poll option for me. I don't think we need it, and I don't think it's perfect as is.

I'm more interested in what people write about the music than a simple rating value.
A fair point indeed.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:20
No bothered to be honest. Given the lack of attention/updates to the site, my guess is it's not likely to happen anyway.

Edited by chopper - May 02 2021 at 10:47
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:28
It now appears on The PABT thread, so you don’t really need it anywhere else. Too many halves tend to diminish the pint scoring, in my learned opinion.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>