Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Gabriel w/Hammill: Newly Found Footage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel w/Hammill: Newly Found Footage
    Posted: May 07 2021 at 02:40
The rarest of video footage, not believed to have existed up until a few days ago, has been unearthed. I had a hand in unearthing it and I’ve been given the green light to share it! A little background…

In 1982, Peter Gabriel organized the first WOMAD (World of Music and Dance) festival in England which brought together many World Music artists from various countries, along with some well known Western popular music artists (the WOMAD album had tracks by artists like Ekome Dance Company and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan alongside tracks by the likes of David Byrne, Peter Hammill, Pete Townsend, XTC, and Gabriel himself). 

On one of the three nights, PG’s band (which included Stewart Copeland on drums, L Shankar on violin, and Peter Hammill on guitar and b-vox) did a set of new Gabriel tunes, but the first song of the set was a spotlight for Hammill and the song he wrote for the WOMAD album (“A Ritual Mask”). I’ve always wondered what that must have been like so I emailed Peter Gabriel this past Saturday afternoon asking if there was any video footage of Hammill leading the band on “A Ritual Mask”, letting him know that I wanted to share it with other PH/VdGG fans if there was. PG helped me out years ago by contributing to the VdGG book, so I hoped he’d help out again. He was great, he wrote me back a few hours later saying that he was pretty sure there was no footage unfortunately but said he’d have someone look into it. I also let Hammill know I was on a mini-quest to track down footage of that perf but he couldn’t remember if there was a camera crew that night in ’82 when the PG band performed “A Ritual Mask.” 

Lo and behold, one of Gabriel’s cohorts at Real World (thanks Mike!) got back to me saying that they did discover some raw footage of WOMAD in the Real World archives. And they found raw, unedited footage of Hammill / PG’s Band performing “A Ritual Mask”! The footage was sent to me but there was a rights issue (PG/Real World/WOMAD doesn’t own the rights) but, after a bit of back & forth, we decided that it’s okay for me to share the clip on Facebook. So… here is the rarest of video footage, hidden away unseen in 40 years, and raw/unedited but still magnificent: Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill, Stewart Copeland, L Shankar, David Rhodes, and Larry Fast performing “A Ritual Mask” at WOMAD in 1982.

Jim Christopulos
co-author, “Van der Graaf Generator – The Book”
(Thanks to PG, Mike, and York at Real World!!!)

Here's the link, I could only post it via my VdGG Facebook page (please "like" the clip if you're able to):

Edited by bucka001 - May 07 2021 at 02:43
jc
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 02:48
Thanks for sharing Jim, much appreciated
Truth be told I can’t see the vid as I rejected Facebook a couple of years ago, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your post (and secretly hope the footage some day goes beyond FB).
1982 just so happens to be the year of my birth.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 02:59
Thanks a lot! I always loved the album "A Ritual Mask" (which was initially released on cassette tape only); it is one of Peter's weirdest.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 03:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thanks for sharing Jim, much appreciated
Truth be told I can’t see the vid as I rejected Facebook a couple of years ago, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your post (and secretly hope the footage some day goes beyond FB).
1982 just so happens to be the year of my birth.

I don't think you have to be a member of FB or anything. I'm totally logged out of FB yet when I hit the link I'm taken to the vid. Give it a shot if you haven't, I think you'd still be able to see it. (I could be wrong but I don't know why you wouldn't :-) )
jc
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 03:04
Arhh nuts! Tried clicking on the link and for a second there I thought it was going to fly...but no cigar. I need to accept a lot of unhealthy cookies in order to watch..and these days I am baking my own.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 03:34
Wow!! the the footage is great, and the track is absolutely amazing! Thank youBeer
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 04:31
AWESOME footage; thank you OP!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 04:39
Great footage. Thanks for sharing.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 05:11
Thumbs Up
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 07:15
This is nice. Thank you.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 10:03
I dig it. Thanks for sharing!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 10:17
Amazing! Thanks for getting it and sharing!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 11:01
Very nice. Thanks for sharing, indeed. Seems to me it has been shot on Umatic, which decently resisted the test of time...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
ralphabet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralphabet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 19:51
Thanks for tracking this footage down OP!
Have to say, I really appreciate your dedication and passion for the man’s work, especially with the research you’ve done for the site. A surprising amount of Hammill rarities seem to be surfacing as of late (what with the Swiss TV programme being uploaded and all) and I’m really glad to see more documentation from this period pop up.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 21:27
Great footage!! Enjoyed it a lot.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 22:01

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the clip. I had low / no expectations when I went about digging for footage and, obv, everything went far better than I could have hoped.

Originally posted by ralphabet ralphabet wrote:

A surprising amount of Hammill rarities seem to be surfacing as of late (what with the Swiss TV programme being uploaded and all) and I’m really glad to see more documentation from this period pop up.

I was just thinking about this. The last ten years or so have really been kind to the PH/VdGG fandom as far as vintage footage surfacing. Off the top of my head... in recent years, here's what I can think of that is newly discovered (going back the last ten years or so):

The VdGG "Refugees" miming clip from '70
The VdGG '72 French TV appearance for the show "Pop 2" (live in concert @ The Bataclan)
Hammill on French TV, the Rock En Stock show from '73
Hammill on Swedish TV, doing piano tunes from Silent Corner '74
The VdG "Cat's Eye" miming clip from '77 or '78
The Swedish TV clip from '77 showing VdG in the dressing room larking about, w/a Hammill interview in French
Hammill on the kids show "Playaway" in '79
Hammill on Italian TV miming to Just Good Friends in '84

I may be missing something but this is a pretty impressive list as far as Hammill/VdGG footage that's been discovered in recent years. Now we can add this WOMAD clip from '82. It gives me hope that there's even more vintage 70s / 80s stuff out there waiting to be discovered!

Edited by bucka001 - May 07 2021 at 22:30
jc
 Post Reply Post Reply