0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [4.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Purple People Eaters
    Posted: May 13 2021 at 21:29
This week's poll is for JD, who claims to be more of a purple man.  With any luck you will come in out of the rain to listen to these purple songs and they won't leave you in a haze.  Give them a listen and vote for your three favorites.  Let us know which ones you like and which ones you don't.  Hopefully, you will find something new that you like.

Here is a YouTube playlist for your convenience. 

I could not find the last three songs on YouTube, so I have provided BandCamp links to the songs.

U Totem - Purple Smoke

Anxtron - Sunset 

The C Sides Project - Purple Hearts Corner

Edited by rushfan4 - May 15 2021 at 22:33
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 21:37
The Purple Speed Queen stole my heart.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 22:30
South California by way of Chicago.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 01:18
The Purple Speed Queen certainly seems to be speeding off to an early lead.
It clearly doesn’t need my vote, so I voted half a dozen other options that I enjoy.

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 02:28
Tough choice between two horn driven classics: Zappa and Chicago
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 05:06
Tori gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 05:25
The Who.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 06:42
I am truly honoured to be the catalyst for this poll, so I felt a certain responsibility to listen to each and every selection.

A few notables amongst them...
-
Sound more like Jazz metal but I like it.
- PTF - Purple Mist (Jazz rock/Fusion)
This one is a Jazz classical combo that's quite nice and would be a great early morning soundtrack to my coffee on the patio.
- Niacin - Purple Rain (Jazz Rock/Fusion)
What can I say...I LOVE organ and Niacin has been a favourite of mine for years. This bluesy version of Prince's PR is typical blues bar fare.
- The Who - A Man in a Purple Dress (Rock)
A somewhat Dylanesque tune. I was never a big Dylan fan, I had a good friend in high school who loved Dylan and hated ELP. He and I would get in great discussions (arguments?) about Dylan and ELP. He would say anyone could push a button and make a bunch of bleep bop noises and I would say anyone could sing like it was their first time with a mouth full of marbles. Ahh, good times.
- Chicago - South California Purples (Jazz rock)
A great tune by a classic band
- Wicked Minds - From The Purple Skies (Heavy Prog)
The beginning of this tune grabbed my attention because of the Jon Lord like organ. Very nice Deep Purple vibe.
- The C Sides Project - Purple Hearts Corner (Crossover)
A heavy tune with a little Emersonesque organ at the beginning. If they had kept it up this might have been the one...HOWEVER
- Gorgol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple (Punk)
Ok, now we're talking ! I love this tune, it's almost a Sasha Cohen Baronesque song.
This gets my vote.

Edited by JD - May 14 2021 at 10:19
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 09:44
Karcius and Remark
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 08:09
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I am truly honoured to be the catalyst for this poll, so I felt a certain responsibility to listen to each and every selection.

A few notables amongst them...
-
Sound more like Jazz metal but I like it.
- PTF - Purple Mist (Jazz rock/Fusion)
This one is a Jazz classical combo that's quite nice and would be a great early morning soundtrack to my coffee on the patio.
- Niacin - Purple Rain (Jazz Rock/Fusion)
What can I say...I LOVE organ and Niacin has been a favourite of mine for years. This bluesy version of Prince's PR is typical blues bar fare.
- The Who - A Man in a Purple Dress (Rock)
A somewhat Dylanesque tune. I was never a big Dylan fan, I had a good friend in high school who loved Dylan and hated ELP. He and I would get in great discussions (arguments?) about Dylan and ELP. He would say anyone could push a button and make a bunch of bleep bop noises and I would say anyone could sing like it was their first time with a mouth full of marbles. Ahh, good times.
- Chicago - South California Purples (Jazz rock)
A great tune by a classic band
- Wicked Minds - From The Purple Skies (Heavy Prog)
The beginning of this tune grabbed my attention because of the Jon Lord like organ. Very nice Deep Purple vibe.
- The C Sides Project - Purple Hearts Corner (Crossover)
A heavy tune with a little Emersonesque organ at the beginning. If they had kept it up this might have been the one...HOWEVER
- Gorgol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple (Punk)
Ok, now we're talking ! I love this tune, it's almost a Sasha Cohen Baronesque song.
This gets my vote.
Thank you for listening to them and your input regarding the notables.  Interestingly enough, I learned about Gorgol Bordello from discussions in the Shred Room many moons ago with some long departed members.  I might not have included them in the poll except for that connection. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 20:12
I'm giving this playlist a proper listen.  It would be nice if there were more music with actual videos with them.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 06:57
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It clearly doesn’t need my vote, so I voted half a dozen other options that I enjoy.

Which ones were those?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 06:59
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Which ones were those?

Good question. I should have said. Tori Amos was one. Hang on, and I’ll look and see if I can remember,.... 🤔

[EDIT] Karcius, Tori Amos, Adrian Belew, Frank Zappa, Tangerine Dream, and U Totem.

I think.....? 🤷🏻‍♂️

(There are several I could conceivably have voted for, but I usually like to vote for the tracks I don’t expect to see a lot of votes.)

Edited by nick_h_nz - May 16 2021 at 07:03
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 09:01
For being a band that are really never talked about here on PA, it is interesting to see Curved Air with so many more votes than the other bands.  And yet there are still 5 votes for Purple Potpourri, and yet no posts naming the other songs.  
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 09:33
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

For being a band that are really never talked about here on PA, it is interesting to see Curved Air with so many more votes than the other bands.  And yet there are still 5 votes for Purple Potpourri, and yet no posts naming the other songs.  

I don’t mean to be cynical, but I can’t help but think some of the votes are multiples from one person. Curved Air had five votes within minutes of this poll being first posted. 🤷🏻‍♂️

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 09:57
That wouldn't surprise me.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 10:14
Gogol Bordello all the way.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:21
I only know a few from the list...

Voted for Wicked Minds and Taal. Two songs from two great albums.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 00:06
Frank Zappa - The Purple Lagoon/Approximate
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 11:19
A good one from out of the list: TD - Pilots Of Purple Twilight
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>