Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis vs Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
52 [59.09%]
26 [29.55%]
6 [6.82%]
4 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis vs Rush
    Posted: May 14 2021 at 14:20
So which band do you prefer over all? Genesis or Rush? If you are only a fan of the PG/SH era I will ask that you either don't vote or vote for number 4* and the same thing with Rush( but with post MP). This is about the entire careers of both bands. Thank you. 

* Preferring the SH/PG era is not the same as hating or disliking all of the other eras of the band. So if you are at least ok with the post SH era and don't hate it then you can vote for 2 otherwise I ask that you please don't for the sake of keeping this poll as fair as possible. The same thing goes for Rush and their post Moving Pictures era. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 14 2021 at 14:23
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 15:34
Genesis
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 15:39
Both equally.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 15:51
Genesis, but not by much.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 16:15
Genesis, easy. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 16:21
Neither.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 16:25
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Neither.

Wait a second. Wasn't this your response from the other poll? "At the end, the label doesn’t matter at all to me. I like their music and that’s all that matters. " How can you like their music but then vote neither?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 16:35
Well, if you're going to dump all their crap in there, then neither.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 16:48
Rush, easily. I dig Genesis (especially the albums immediately following Peter's departure), but Rush is the more consistent band. Yes, Rush streamlined their sound in the '80s, as most '70s bands did, but they didn't succumb to the whims of the pop sirens. They just kept evolving, they kept making good music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 17:08
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Well, sue me but I don't like it when someone says "I only like the PG era" or whatever. Because then I would have to have it listed as PG era Genesis. When I say Genesis I mean the whole band not just one era of the band. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 15 2021 at 07:51
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 17:11
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Neither.

Wait a second. Wasn't this your response from the other poll? "At the end, the label doesn’t matter at all to me. I like their music and that’s all that matters. " How can you like their music but then vote neither?
Because the premises that have been set on the poll. I like the early Genesis, not after Hackett left, so it limits my choices. I vote neither for that reason only. I like both bands a lot, but from the albums I like, both from rush and Genesis, I cannot really pick and choose between them, so I also voted neither, meaning I don’t prefer one over the other.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 17:14

Well, sue me but I don't like it when someone says "I only like the PG era" or whatever. Because then I would have to have it listed as PG era Genes. When I say Genesis I mean the whole band not just one era of the band. 

You have tons of albums before the trio era though, it's not like somebody is saying they only like the Anthony Philips era, or the Syd Barret era in Pink Floyd, etc. I mean, you can find tons of Rolling Stones fan who don't care for post Exile on Main Street era, or Jethro fans who don't care post-Stormwatch, Kinks, R.E.M, etc.

I like the Collins era but I don't like they Ray Wilson era, I still consider myself a fan.

Edited by TheLionOfPrague - May 14 2021 at 17:15
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 17:46
No contest.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 17:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rush, easily. I dig Genesis (especially the albums immediately following Peter's departure), but Rush is the more consistent band. Yes, Rush streamlined their sound in the '80s, as most '70s bands did, but they didn't succumb to the whims of the pop sirens. They just kept evolving, they kept making good music.

I entirely  agree !!!

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 17:58
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

No contest.
Yep. If we look at the PA album ratings of both bands, Rush wins by a landslide.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 19:44
Genesis.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 22:11
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Well, sue me but I don't like it when someone says "I only like the PG era" or whatever. Because then I would have to have it listed as PG era Genes. When I say Genesis I mean the whole band not just one era of the band. 

You have tons of albums before the trio era though, it's not like somebody is saying they only like the Anthony Philips era, or the Syd Barret era in Pink Floyd, etc. I mean, you can find tons of Rolling Stones fan who don't care for post Exile on Main Street era, or Jethro fans who don't care post-Stormwatch, Kinks, R.E.M, etc.

I like the Collins era but I don't like they Ray Wilson era, I still consider myself a fan.

There's only one Ray Wilson album though so that's a bit different. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 15 2021 at 07:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 22:13
I probably prefer Rush a little bit over Genesis but I might vote for Genesis anyway(or at least both equally). I know Rush fans like to think that Rush never sold out but ultimately it's about the quality of the music. Plus was the PC era of Genesis really that bad?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 14 2021 at 22:13
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 01:08
Genesis, all eras, hands down.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Theprogelitist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 02:41
My two favourite bands! Genesis has been my fav band ever since I discovered them so my vote goes to them. Selling England and Foxtrot are my two favourite albums, followed by Hemispheres
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>