Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Vomit for Experimental/Post-Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Vomit for Experimental/Post-Metal
    Posted: May 17 2021 at 01:33
Black Vomit is the British experimental black metal project of Dave OBM, co-founder of the Frequency Thirteen (Freq13) record label and based in Sheffield. Dubbed "True Sheffield Black Psychedelia," Black Vomit plays a unique blend of noisy, grinding black metal mixed with IDM, krautrock and dub influences, with songs often lapsing into dark and hypnotic kosmische drift, with slowed down and distorted voice samples enhancing the hallucinatory atmosphere. Black Vomit released two splits before issuing their debut and most well-known album Jungle Death on Rusty Axe Records in 2009. Dave OBM, presumably using the moniker Mndeathfreq, was accompanied on this release by two mysterious fellow Freq13 musicians: Ghettodweller on bass with guitar and vocals handled by C12H16N2 (named after the molecular formula for DMT, highly-magnified crystals of which adorn Jungle Death's cover art). As with their first two CD-Rs, Black Vomit's sophomore LP, Let it Come Down, was released on Frequency Thirteen in 2011, where the project began subtly incorporating dub and dubstep elements.

Comparisons prove difficult, as Black Vomit sounds like some impossible mix of Igorrr, Aluk Todolo, Tim Hecker, Pharaoh Overlord, Oranssi Pazuzu, Lightning Bolt, Yoga and Goblin.

(Note: no photos could be found of the band)

"Scumf**k / Ambient Sh*tstorm" split (2005)

"Be My Second" split (2006)

"Jungle Death" (2009)

"Let it Come Down" (2011)

Edited by Gordy - July 31 2021 at 01:16
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 01:36
Probably a long-shot but an interesting, one-of-a-kind group to check out regardless!

EDIT: I forgot to mention Dave OBM is already in Progressive Electronic under Torture Gnosis (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9856).

Edited by Gordy - May 17 2021 at 02:32
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 09:19
Forwarded to the PM team, vomit and all.....

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 09:29
Ok, enough with these B movie grade band names.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 10:17
Hey, they got your attention.  See how good they work?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 12:30
'Tis true.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 20:51
I'm curious on the state of this one (I'm pleasantly surprised it's gotten so much traction already). Does bonnek or someone else come in to add their deciding vote?

As of 6/17
18dNickHudsonMetal (NickHudson)
25dTCatMetal (TCat)
1MCristi_3rdMetal (Cristi_3rd)
1MTCatMetal-> New

(@SteveG: my next two metal suggestions will be right up your alley, in both names and content)
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 01:00
I think they remain in purgatory until either one of those who voted changes their vote, or someone else adds a vote, as two thirds is not enough of a majority. 🤷🏻‍♂️

In the meantime, at least PA members might come across the band via this thread. So full credit for bringing them to our attention!

Here is what I wrote in the collaborators discussion regarding the band (as I am a great fan of transparency):

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

I listened to both the 2009 and 2011 albums, and think there is definitely a place for them in PA, but they are definitely on of those hard to categorise bands. I’m inclined to give them a yes for Experimental/Post, as that is where they fit best in prog metal, if we are to accept them; and I get the feeling if they are voted for move, it will be a ping pong game where another band that deserves to be in PA doesn’t make it, simply because they don’t fit neatly enough into any of the pigeon holes.

I’m surprised to enjoy the music as much as I do, because the band name is appalling. Even at Name Your Price, I’m not a fan of the earlier album, but I really love the dub elements added to the 2011 release, and am considering buying it. The debut was an intriguing mix of electronic, psychedelic and metal sounds, but didn’t quite work for me. Adding the dub to the 2011 just gels it all together nicely. The band sometimes remind me of Igorr, which I guess is another indicator that Experimental/Post is the best place for them, as that is where Igorrr resides.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 11:12
Band image according to Last.fm:

I haven't been able to verify if this is actually them though. Embarrassed
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 22:52
@David: I appreciate the post, but I'm pretty sure that promo pic is for the non-prog Mexican black metal band with the same name that were apparently around in the early 90s. The British Black Vomit remain obscured in mystery.

@Nick: Thank you, as always, for the time and energy you put into clarifying things for me. And I've always been curious about the behind-the-scenes discussions carried out for the submissions; I love reading people's spirited discourse about bands that aren't otherwise dissected, and wish I could be a fly on the wall for some of these talks. I actually enjoyed their first LP more than the sophomore, though I don't dislike it by any means. The latter feels more like a weed album while the first is intended for more adventurous drugs - but at 56 minutes that's approximately the length of three successful DMT hits, and one is more than enough for me, I'll tell you (can't stand the acrid, awful-tasting smoke). 

As for their future possible admission, I continue to keep my fingers crossed

Edited by Gordy - June 19 2021 at 23:03
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 01:32
The funny thing is reading the OP after having evaluated the band for inclusion. I tend to do the same thing with evaluating a band as I do with reviewing albums for TPA - in that I avoid reading anything about the subject. So when I see anything crop up in the Submit New Bands for prog metal, I tend to deliberately avoid those. I like to listen to the music without having any preconceived notions of what they might sound like.

So, I had no idea you had compared the band to Igorr, which obviously I did, too. (And it’s an obvious comparison to make). Seeing you mention Pharaoh Overlord absolutely makes sense, and as soon as I read that I said “yes!”. Put Pharaoh Overlord and Igorr together in your mind, and you probably have a fairly good idea of what Black Vomit sound like. I also get the Oranssi Pazuzu reference. Goblin, I’m not so sure about, but I’ll give you that. I don’t know the other bands, but since I like the bands you mentioned that I do know, then I guess it is worth my doing some investigation….

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 03:31
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

@David: I appreciate the post, but I'm pretty sure that promo pic is for the non-prog Mexican black metal band with the same name that were apparently around in the early 90s. The British Black Vomit remain obscured in mystery.
Yeah, after further investigation you're right! I thought there might be a chance that it could be the British band because there were three of them, and most sites show the Mexican outfit as a four-piece, as per the photo below:

However, When you look at co-founder A. Serpent Devotum's profile on Metal Archives, you see this image:

And on a short Spanish podcast from July 2012 promoting the band's merchandise we see this one:

Clearly the guy in the centre of the image I found under Black Vomit on Last.fm, and he doesn't really look like a typical resident of Sheffield UK, so it's back to the drawing board lol!
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 23:56
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

The funny thing is reading the OP after having evaluated the band for inclusion. I tend to do the same thing with evaluating a band as I do with reviewing albums for TPA - in that I avoid reading anything about the subject. So when I see anything crop up in the Submit New Bands for prog metal, I tend to deliberately avoid those. I like to listen to the music without having any preconceived notions of what they might sound like.

So, I had no idea you had compared the band to Igorr, which obviously I did, too. (And it’s an obvious comparison to make). Seeing you mention Pharaoh Overlord absolutely makes sense, and as soon as I read that I said “yes!”. Put Pharaoh Overlord and Igorr together in your mind, and you probably have a fairly good idea of what Black Vomit sound like. I also get the Oranssi Pazuzu reference. Goblin, I’m not so sure about, but I’ll give you that. I don’t know the other bands, but since I like the bands you mentioned that I do know, then I guess it is worth my doing some investigation….

I like and respect that approach and should try doing it more often. I tend to willingly drown myself in research about intriguing groups before I take the listening plunge, and was influenced to do so by the enthusiastic and almost hyperbolic reviews of prog-friendly (and defunct) record stores such as Aquarius Records, Crucial Blast and Volcanic Tongue. So it's thrilling to hear you detect the same reference points I do.

To clarify, I get the Goblin similarities from the middle of Jungle Death, nodding towards the unique atmosphere of Suspiria; Lightning Bolt can be heard in the frenetic drumming blurred together into a murky Aluk Todolo-produced stew, and all of Jungle Death shares similar vibes with Yoga, another experimental, kosmische and black metal-adjacent group who are sorely missed (the infamous Piero Scaruffi calls Yoga "post-metal," for what it's worth):

"Skinwalker"

"Megafauna"

Edited by Gordy - July 06 2021 at 01:52
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 10:29

Black Vomit added to Experimental/Post Metal..

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 17:38
Awesome, thanks Mike! What a long, strange (dark and viscous) trip it's been!
 Post Reply Post Reply