Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eddy Offord: ELP & YES Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which ones do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [8.33%]
11 [8.33%]
8 [6.06%]
6 [4.55%]
1 [0.76%]
10 [7.58%]
6 [4.55%]
50 [37.88%]
2 [1.52%]
13 [9.85%]
12 [9.09%]
2 [1.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 10:18
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

As a 'desk jockey' myself I have to go with ELP Trilogy for engineering. It is an amazingly engineered album.

Followed closely by...
Close to the edge
Tarkus
Fragile

How do you know when an album is 'amazingly engineered', I am honestly asking because I do not know. I know how you could call an album 'well-produced' or even 'amazingly produced', and I presume it is similar to being engineered... Whatever it is, just don't weld it, won't look good. Tongue

The engineer is the one who mixes and matches, equalizes, adds some effects, manages the soundboard...the producer is the one who comes afterwards and f**ks the record up!
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 11:06
Yessongs didn't have a vote yet but if I were told that I'm only allowed to own one of these, it'd be Yessongs for sure.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 11:16
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

As a 'desk jockey' myself I have to go with ELP Trilogy for engineering. It is an amazingly engineered album.

Followed closely by...
Close to the edge
Tarkus
Fragile

How do you know when an album is 'amazingly engineered', I am honestly asking because I do not know. I know how you could call an album 'well-produced' or even 'amazingly produced', and I presume it is similar to being engineered... Whatever it is, just don't weld it, won't look good. Tongue

The engineer is the one who mixes and matches, equalizes, adds some effects, manages the soundboard...the producer is the one who comes afterwards and f**ks the record up!
LOL True enough, but when they are one and the same, it's harder to point the finger.
For my part I see the producer as more of a 'director', deciding on style and perhaps instrumentation of the song as well as coaching the musicians on performance ("give it more wangy tangy and a little slide just there"). The engineer is the executioner of the required activities in order to achieve the vision of the producer (and band)
It's what you end up hearing !

Edited by JD - May 18 2021 at 11:17
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 12:27
A record producer is a) someone who suggests the addition of wonky instruments, vocals and arrangements or b) someone who discourages the addition of wonky instruments, vocals and arrangements. And c) someone who suggusts the addition of brilliant instruments, vocals and arrangements. Quite a choice.

Edited by SteveG - May 18 2021 at 12:28
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 00:20
Close to the Edge
Tales From Topography Oceans
Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Three iconic albums of progressive rock imho
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 13:13

Tarkus, ELP debut 

Trilogy = CttE
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12