Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Era Prog Drummers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Era Prog Drummers
    Posted: May 18 2021 at 16:57
I've been reading tons of previous (sometimes ancient) threads about prog drummers. To my uneducated ears, the most impressive drummers I've ever heard from the "Classic Era" of prog include:

Billy Cobham
Tony Williams
Giulio Capiozzo
Bill Bruford
Lenny White
Steve Gadd 
Phil Collins
Carl Palmer
Pierre Moerlen
Narada Michael Walden
Michael Shrieve

If you have others that you think I should hear or appreciate, could/would you please offer specific examples/songs of their play to help me to better appreciate them? 

THANK YOU!

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE do not recommend Neil Peart. I do not consider him a member of the "classic" 1967-1976 era of Progressive Rock music.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:01
Pip Pyle

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Pip Pyle

Okay. I am duly impressed. I don't know why I've never listened to Of Queues and Cures from a drumming/percussion/rhythm perspective before. (I've always been searching for the melodies.)

THANKS!

Drew Fisher
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:30
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Okay. I am duly impressed. I don't know why I've never listened to Of Queues and Cures from a drumming/percussion/rhythm perspective before. (I've always been searching for the melodies.)

THANKS!
Your welcome. I am humbled getting thanks from a seasoned PA collaborator and reviewerEmbarrassed
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

THANKS!
Your welcome. I am humbled getting thanks from a seasoned PA collaborator and reviewerEmbarrassed

Aren't you one, too? I could swear I was just reading posts you made back in 2004, 2006 & 2010!

Drew Fisher
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 18:11
I would pick Jaki Liebezeit here because his drumming was really original and poetic.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 05:56
Chester Thompson, here with Weather Report long before his Genesis stint.

Alphonse Mouzon, original drummer for Weather Report.  Known mostly for his work as an original member of The Eleventh House with Larry Coryell

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 06:29
Chris Cutler & Christian Vander for me

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 07:09
It really hurts to see Keith Moon, John Bonham or Ian Paice missing of a list like this.  Wondering what criteria could exclude them in the period mentioned.  Progressive Rock?  You only have to back and read up the old music papers and their lists to know who was considered top.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 07:58
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

It really hurts to see Keith Moon, John Bonham or Ian Paice missing of a list like this.  Wondering what criteria could exclude them in the period mentioned.  Progressive Rock?  You only have to back and read up the old music papers and their lists to know who was considered top.

Bill Ward also, wonderful chops.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 08:01
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Bill Ward also, wonderful chops.

There are so many Ian, not necessary as defined here as progressive rock... ie.  Ginger Baker.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 08:07

It’s a little funny, I feel the exact opposite. When I see people making these type of lists and only ever include the usual suspects...and I think to myself ‘how can it be that folks into prog who’ve been digging the genre for decades..never manage to go past the biggies?’
Then again..this is a personal list from the OP. It’s the drummers he finds the best/choppiest (and none of the drummers you mention played in prog bands)
If it was me it’d look something like this:
Jaki Liebezeit
Mani Neumeier
Jerzy Piotrowski
Jon Hiseman
Giulio Cappiozzo
Christian Burchard
Aynsley Dunbar
Michael Walden
Pierre Moerlen
Phil Collins
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 08:24
I'm not a Bruford or Collins freak, but Bill Bruford and Phil Collins are both top of my prog drummers list, even though I'm not a big fan of their respective solo works. Smile

Oh, and an honourable mention for Ginger Baker and his Air Force too. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 19 2021 at 08:25
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 08:26
I second Christian Vander:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 08:35
I think Barriemore Barlow is seriously underrated because of the way Ian Anderson composed songs which required Barlow to adapt a more symphonic method of drum style and not the usual rock method. This is evident in a song like "Hunting Girl":

But for more RAWK drumming, check out Barlow's amazing double kick drum footwork on "Minstrel in the Gallery" starting at 2:27:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 08:43
Marco Vrolijk

Also John Weathers.

Edited by Tapfret - May 19 2021 at 08:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 09:05
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It’s a little funny, I feel the exact opposite. When I see people making these type of lists and only ever include the usual suspects...and I think to myself ‘how can it be that folks into prog who’ve been digging the genre for decades..never manage to go past the biggies?’
Then again..this is a personal list from the OP. It’s the drummers he finds the best/choppiest (and none of the drummers you mention played in prog bands)
Jaki Liebezeit
Mani Neumeier
Jerzy Piotrowski
Jon Hiseman
Giulio Cappiozzo
Christian Burchard
Aynsley Dunbar
Michael Walden
Pierre Moerlen
Phil Collins

If you are talking about that time period there was no question that everyone who was into Progressive music would not consider Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin as progressive rock.  Your analogy does not make sense.  That would mean Aynsley Dunbar is blues or Piere Moerlen who only just started at the back end of the poster's timeframe of 1967-1976 is a great based on what?  On his body of work up to 1976?  Answer would be no right?  It's his later body of work that puts him on your list.  So is Pierre Moerlen even applicable to the poster's timeframe?

Edited by Spaciousmind - May 19 2021 at 09:13
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 09:09
Ian Paice is certainly one of the best (and hardest working) hard rock drummers in the business, but he's no prog drummer.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 10:04

Jaki Liebezeit
Mani Neumeier
Jerzy Piotrowski
Jon Hiseman
Giulio Cappiozzo
Christian Burchard
Aynsley Dunbar
Michael Walden
Pierre Moerlen
Phil Collins

If you are talking about that time period there was no question that everyone who was into Progressive music would not consider Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin as progressive rock.  Your analogy does not make sense.  That would mean Aynsley Dunbar is blues or Piere Moerlen who only just started at the back end of the poster's timeframe of 1967-1976 is a great based on what?  On his body of work up to 1976?  Answer would be no right?  It's his later body of work that puts him on your list.  So is Pierre Moerlen even applicable to the poster's timeframe?

I guess you could break it down like that...but Aynsley was basically a studio musician that happened to play on a lot of prog albums. I personally think of him as the finest drummer with Zappa. I also adore his playing on Lou Reed’s sole prog album Berlin. Pierre Moerlen’s work in Gong is some of the finest drumming ever featured on any pork album imho.
Deep Purple, The Who and Led Zeppelin are (brilliant) bands that at times flirted around with progressive elements and were certainly at the forefront of rock music in the late 60s, but I honestly don’t think of either three as prog rock.
A weird analogy: I think The Doors was one of the most progressive bands of the late 60s..and they certainly played rock from time to time, but I don’t think of them as a prog band either. I guess it’s just a matter of stickers in the end
Btw Moon the loon, Bonzo and Paice are some of my absolute favourite drummers. I miss that kind of ‘feel’ in most of modern music.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 10:06

Btw Moon the loon, Bonzo and Paice are some of my absolute favourite drummers. I miss that kind of ‘feel’ in most of modern music.

I agree, where ever you place them, you can't replace their greatness or should I say uniqueness?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>