Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Era Prog Drummers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 10:16
There’s just something about drummers that rely on feel in order to groove opposed to click-connoisseurs that go mad if they don’t have that mechanical tightness, where everything is on beat and interchangeable.
Somebody should explain to those guys that the real deal - the genuinely interesting bits - comes from knowing when NOT to be on beat and when to speed things up or conversely slow things down. In the end it’s a band thing, a conversation, and you simply can’t get that from, granted, insanely gifted modern musicians playing in their individual phoneboothes.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 10:48
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Btw Moon the loon, Bonzo and Paice are some of my absolute favourite drummers. I miss that kind of ‘feel’ in most of modern music.

I agree, where ever you place them, you can't replace their greatness or should I say uniqueness?

Don't forget the maverick genius Ginger Baker either.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 10:49
Christian Burchard of Embryo. Here an example of his drumming:

Christian Vander of Magma:

Freddy Setz of Aera and Roman Bunka:

Jacky Bouladoux, drummer of Clearlight and Christian Boulé (among many others); he also jammed with Jaco Pastorius:

Edited by BaldFriede - May 19 2021 at 11:16

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 11:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I think Barriemore Barlow is seriously underrated because of the way Ian Anderson composed songs which required Barlow to adapt a more symphonic method of drum style and not the usual rock method. This is evident in a song like "Hunting Girl":

But for more RAWK drumming, check out Barlow's amazing double kick drum footwork on "Minstrel in the Gallery" starting at 2:27:

Barlow is one of the three best drummers Tull had, along with the late Mark Craney and Doane Perry (who got to show us what's he made of in concert).

Barlow was integral to the '70s Tull sound. I can't imagine those albums without his playing.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 11:53
Piotr Dziemski
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 11:55
Three drummers I feel / recognizes as often overlooked yet wonderfully skilled drummers are the three drummers of Gentle Giant but late Martin Smitt, whom did the two first, whom was the most jazzy and sponatinos drummer , just check hes style on Alucard or the House the Street, the Room, and Malcolm Mortimore, a round house drummer, flexible, recently been in Three Friends band, and lomgest playing drummer with GG, John 'Pugwash' Weathers, i just love hes complex drumming, master of intricate syncopation, no bullsh$@#, very hard to explaine hes drumming with uneducated words.

Edited by Icarium - May 19 2021 at 12:03
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 12:13
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I've been reading tons of previous (sometimes ancient) threads about prog drummers. To my uneducated ears, the most impressive drummers I've ever heard from the "Classic Era" of prog include:

Billy Cobham
Tony Williams
Giulio Capiozzo
Bill Bruford
Lenny White
Steve Gadd 
Phil Collins
Carl Palmer
Pierre Moerlen
Narada Michael Walden
Michael Shrieve

If you have others that you think I should hear or appreciate, could/would you please offer specific examples/songs of their play to help me to better appreciate them? 

There's Triumvirat, and their first four albums with drummer Hans Bathelt. Their 3rd & 4th, Spartacus and Old Loves Die Hard, are their best, IMO.

If you're at all familiar with Passport, their drummer was Curt Cress. Here's Curt as bandleader.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 12:42
HORACEE ARNOLD.

Horacee – drums, percussion
Jan Hammer – Moog, electric piano
Rick Laird – bass
John Abercrombie – electric guitar
David Friedman – vibes
Sonny Fortune – sax, flute 
Ralph Towner – 12-string guitar

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 13:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I've been reading tons of previous (sometimes ancient) threads about prog drummers. To my uneducated ears, the most impressive drummers I've ever heard from the "Classic Era" of prog include:

Billy Cobham
Tony Williams
Giulio Capiozzo
Bill Bruford
Lenny White
Steve Gadd 
Phil Collins
Carl Palmer
Pierre Moerlen
Narada Michael Walden
Michael Shrieve

If you have others that you think I should hear or appreciate, could/would you please offer specific examples/songs of their play to help me to better appreciate them? 

There's Triumvirat, and their first four albums with drummer Hans Bathelt. Their 3rd & 4th, Spartacus and Old Loves Die Hard, are their best, IMO.

If you're at all familiar with Passport, their drummer was Curt Cress. Here's Curt as bandleader.

The drummer on the first album of Passport was Udo Lindenberg, who later became very famous in Germany, but as a singer, not a drummer. He also played on the solo album of Jean-Jacques Kravetz.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 19:44

It really hurts to see Keith Moon, John Bonham or Ian Paice missing of a list like this.  Wondering what criteria could exclude them in the period mentioned.  Progressive Rock?  You only have to back and read up the old music papers and their lists to know who was considered top.

Perhaps for those who usually check out sites and lists from the prog scene and with prog fans, because we won't usually see them. But I guess it's actually a bit of fresh air, because on any other rock site they will usually be mentioned... and I'd be surprised if there was any such list that doesn't have Bonham at number 1. Any of those classic prog fans who have some apreciation for drummers should do themselves a favor and check out these other drummers.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 06:34

I guess you could break it down like that...but Aynsley was basically a studio musician that happened to play on a lot of prog albums. I personally think of him as the finest drummer with Zappa. I also adore his playing on Lou Reed’s sole prog album Berlin. Pierre Moerlen’s work in Gong is some of the finest drumming ever featured on any pork album imho.

Well said ... with one issue ... the poster is not a good listener to bands and players that were not "listed" as superior. And many have not given Moerlin, Neumeier, Vander, Liebezeit a good enough listen to really make their ideal about "prog drummers" ... and to not consider most in your list as a part of it ... just tells you what the listener ever gave his attention to!

This is, for me, the saddest part of a lot of these posts!

A weird analogy: I think The Doors was one of the most progressive bands of the late 60s..and they certainly played rock from time to time, but I don’t think of them as a prog band either. I guess it’s just a matter of stickers in the end

I'm not sure that their music can stand a "progressive" or "prog" written by someone that is not interested and has not appreciated (what I call) "cinematic music" ... complete with lyrics, instead of insipid music with banal lyrics telling them what it is supposed to be about!

Btw Moon the loon, Bonzo and Paice are some of my absolute favorite drummers. I miss that kind of ‘feel’ in most of modern music.

Not sure I would include Paice with the others, but he's fine for me. And, yes ... it is the FEEL that is missing, and the small and better "accents" to help the music be better designed and played ... for that matter, I would DEFINITELY include Carl Palmer here as well.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 07:17
Of those not mentioned yet I just love:
Michael Giles work on first two King Crimson albums
Andy McCulloch for his work on King Crimson "Lizard" (his Greenslade work was nice too)
Robert Wyatt for his work on Soft Machine "4" especialy his imaginative cymbals only fest lasting for a few minutes :)
John Densmore for his ability to illustarate (in rather theatrical way) Jim's poetry on the spot
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 08:03
Nobody yet has mentioned Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator.
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 08:28
Some favourite drummers, any genre:
Ringo Starr
Keith Moon
Ian Paice
Alex Riel (The Savage Rose, Sebastian's band, and lots of jazz)
John Densmore
Jaki Liebezeit
Maureen Tucker (The Velvet Underground)
Topper Headon (The Clash)
Tony Allen
Bo Thrige Andersen (Burnin' Red Ivanhoe)
Helen Wiggin (The Shaggs) (!)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 00:32
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It really hurts to see Keith Moon, John Bonham or Ian Paice missing of a list like this.  Wondering what criteria could exclude them in the period mentioned.  Progressive Rock?  You only have to back and read up the old music papers and their lists to know who was considered top.

Bill Ward also, wonderful chops.
totally agree
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 02:15
Originally posted by Artik Artik wrote:

Of those not mentioned yet I just love:
Michael Giles work on first two King Crimson albums
Andy McCulloch for his work on King Crimson "Lizard" (his Greenslade work was nice too)
Robert Wyatt for his work on Soft Machine "4" especialy his imaginative cymbals only fest lasting for a few minutes :)
John Densmore for his ability to illustarate (in rather theatrical way) Jim's poetry on the spot

John Densmore is a very underrated drummer. He has a jazz background, and you can clearly hear it in many songs of The Doors.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 02:55

Moon is a bit of an oddity, I've never been able to answer the question about whether he's a good drummer or not. He's all over the place yet somehow it all works and you can't imagine those Who albums without him.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 03:52
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Moon is a bit of an oddity, I've never been able to answer the question about whether he's a good drummer or not. He's all over the place yet somehow it all works and you can't imagine those Who albums without him.

It's his live performances that got me convinced that he has to be a mad genius.  I particularly love watching the 1970 Isle of Wight Concert.  
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 04:12

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's his live performances that got me convinced that he has to be a mad genius.  I particularly love watching the 1970 Isle of Wight Concert.  

Moon often used very unusual ways of holding the drumsticks.

Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 04:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Nobody yet has mentioned Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator.

I support this message.

(think he really contributes/d significantly to the sonic landscape of VDGG)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>