Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Historical Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 15:10
George Washington's teeth were made of elephant ivory and walrus tusks. FEYh-Dd-XWUAM2oji
Source: https://twitter.com/weird_hist
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 06:11
Weird to one, may not be so to another. This is not "weird" for me, for instance. But cool!

z

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 30 2021 at 06:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 02:50
rt
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 08:54
Miguel Cervantes died Apr 22nd 1616 and William Shakespeare died Apr 23rd 1616, but they did not die on consecutive days because Spain already followed the Gregorian calendar and England still followed the Julian calendar

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 09:30
Nice one, Jeanine. Thumbs Up

I realised the one below myself. I'm not sure if it is being talked on the internet. I'm almost certain that it was noticed by many people before though.

Lord of The Flies and The Lord of the Rings were released in the same year (1954). The first's author is William Golding, and in the latter, the thing that must be destroyed is a gold ring.

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 01 2021 at 09:39
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 09:46
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

George Washington's teeth were made of elephant ivory and walrus tusks. Source: https://twitter.com/weird_hist

Interesting. In elementary school in the 70's we were always told they were made of wood. Someone in class would invariably add a termite story.

I guess nobody questioned it because as George Washington facts go, it played little importance in the grand scheme of things.

The cherry tree, however....

Edited by Tapfret - December 01 2021 at 09:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 09:48
^ Hahahah. I believe what you were taught could still be true. You know? I don't take the things I share for granted as "facts".
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 09:51
^Your version is varigoogible.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 09:54
^ Google says that "variggoogible" is a deplorable word. I guess "no results" comes to mean that. Dead

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 01 2021 at 09:55
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 10:11
varigoogible™
adjective

the condition of being identified as a fact through the use of a Google search, which may or may not verify it as a profound fact due to the variability of Google sources.

I invented it. You may use it with an authorized license agreement obtainable for a nominal fee.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 10:14
^ Thank you sir! You're my own personal Jesus OED!!! Beer

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 01 2021 at 10:14
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 10:53
The Man Buried In A Pringles Can

In 1966, Fredric Baur developed the ingenious idea for Procter & Gamble to uniformly stack chips inside a can instead of tossing them in a bag. Baur was so proud of his invention that he wanted to take it to the grave—literally.
He communicated his burial wishes to his family, and when he died at age 89, his children stopped at Walgreens on the way to the funeral home to buy his burial Pringles can. They did have one decision to make, though. "My siblings and I briefly debated what flavor to use," Baur's eldest son, Larry, told Time. "But I said, 'Look, we need to use the original.'" Fredric Baur, an American classic.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 01 2021 at 10:54
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 04:07
bbn
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 07:57
^That's neat. I had to look up the specs on that. It weighed almost 25 lbs (about 11 kg) and had 64 KB in memory. In 1981 I was playing Space Invaders on an Atari 2600 and probably picking my nose. Fun times!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 08:05
LOLThumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 05:01
Some say that money can't buy happiness. Some oppose (sort of) that, saying that they would rather cry in their Ferraris. A thinker once said that money can buy "time" that can be used for the things that one likes, instead of working reluctantly. (This is a plausible argument which can refute the famous saying I mentioned at the beginning of the paragraph.)

Can nobility prevent boredom? Oh, it doesn't seem so. Even Prince Charles' "full title" is boring. Hahahah.

His full title is: His Royal Highness, Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Earl of Chester, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Intendant of Scotland , Knight Royal Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Oldest and Most Noble Order of the Wild Thistle, Grand Master and Main Knight of the Great Cross of the Most Honorable Order of the Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of Order of Australia, Fellow of the Queen's Order of Service, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honorable Private Council, Her Majesty's Field Helper.

X

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 05 2021 at 14:11
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 05:08
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

^That's neat. I had to look up the specs on that. It weighed almost 25 lbs (about 11 kg) and had 64 KB in memory. In 1981 I was playing Space Invaders on an Atari 2600 and probably picking my nose. Fun times!

From what I recall there was a grab-handle on the underside of the keyboard piece and the exterior was a tough plastic shell. So when you closed it up it basically became a small, heavy suitcase. I would have been about twelve when it came out but I remember it made a splash in all the glossy computer mags at the time, which I was reading avidly.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 10:20
91-Vgq2n06l-L-SX466-x
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 07:16
hhh
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 16:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>