Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd vs. Gryphon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: And your favourite one is?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [63.16%]
8 [21.05%]
6 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 01:42
Özgür, a small dose of Pink Floyd every once in a while may counterbalance an overdose of happiness... Wink

I hardly listen to Gryphon anymore - I maybe should do that again - and Pink Floyd has never depressed me. To me they are not in the same league, so this is an easy choice for me, though I always liked Gryphon too.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 01:46
Thanks kees. EmbarrassedHeart

I see happiness differently, probably. I see it merely as an element on contentment. Or to put it better: a balanced happiness should mean contentment. Wink

As for PF not being depressive earlier, or the claim thereof: As far as I know, depression does not commence at birth.

BTW, I didn't claim and actually don't think that PF's music is depressive for anybody.

Edited by Shadowyzard - May 24 2021 at 01:57
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 01:56
Agree, but sad (or depressing) music will not cause it either - at least not with me. But, indeed, generally we cannot consider PF very uplifting, but if you want uplifting PF, you just play The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It works!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 01:58
Sure pal! But I'm a hopeless PF hater. LOL

J/K. I moved on. Plus, I can sell my soul for High Hopes. Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 02:05
I must say, one of my first thoughts was, just how much Pink Floyd have you listened to, maybe you need to listen to more, so here's some More.

Interestingly, two of my favourite Gryphon tracks are Lament and the Unquiet Grave (love their rendition).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 02:08
^ I've probably listened a good half of the PF songs. And only listened to perhaps 10 of them more than a couple of times. I honestly am not interested Greg, sorry... It is not a prejudice, but a solid conviction.

Though, I'll check this song out for fun! And see if I listened to it, or remember having listened to it earlier. Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 02:11
It might make you a little angry. I'm with Johnny Rotten that anger is an energy.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 02:13
True, there is not too much upbeat Floyd stuff... but this is a bit jollier than most of their output.

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 02:17
This has made me smile

But then I like shreds.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 02:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It might make you a little angry. I'm with Johnny Rotten that anger is an energy.

Anger is also an emotion. An occasional anger should be healthy. The a****le is rotten to the core! LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 03:17
Love both bands..but The Floyd for me. Gryphon is something I have to be in the mood for. Floyd has so many different flavours to chose from, so it’s easier to pick something that corresponds with my cabeza.
I do however tend to go for the Floyd stuff that comes before the big albums such as Dark Side, Wish You Were Deer and Animals.
Methinks a person who digs Gryphon would prefer the Atom Heart Mother suite over pretty much anything other Floyd. Is it upbeat? Sure if you have teets and say mooouuh!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 00:14
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think it was a foregone conclusion that Pink Floyd were going to win this poll Comfortably. Smile

Pink Floyd
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 01:46
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

I find nothing depressing in the pre-Dark Side albums (which I like a lot).
I agree. I do like their multimillion-selling 1970's classics as well, but Meddle, Saucerful of Secrets, Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Atom Heart Mother are my four favorite PF-albums. A quartet of albums mostly filled with playful, beautiful, trippy and uplifting music. I'm pretty much always in the mood for them.

-Anyway voted Floyd of course. Gryphon are cozy to revist a couple of times each decade I suppose. And I understand why someone wanting some "feelgood" 70's prog reaches for (the wonderful) Midnight Mushrumps over Animals (which I too find slightly depressing). But I think there's a good reason the former band are so important to so many, and the latter is simply a footnote in the history of prog rock. Btw, this is not how I see things in general. Small forgotten bands can obviously be more interesting and "better" than household names. But Pink Floyd were groundbreaking innovaters musically - in addition to being hugely successful. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12