Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fictional & Actual Characters: Can one love both?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fictional & Actual Characters: Can one love both?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: So what do you think?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [71.43%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fictional & Actual Characters: Can one love both?
    Posted: May 26 2021 at 03:24
Howdy people,

I'm again here with all my bizarreness.

I love Dirk Nowitzki and Jeffrey Lebowski more or less equally. One of them is a celebrity, the other is a fictitious character. Of course they are not among "the dearests" to me, but I still love them.

P.S. We can discuss the emotions like love, hatred etc. The related spaces above weren't sufficient to mention them all...

How about your take?

koerperlicher-grenzbereich-01x749eb50f96bdb1c4f54e21d4adcfddc7

Edited by Shadowyzard - May 26 2021 at 03:36
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 03:44
If there was a "PA bizarre polls" award, you would get it! LOL

For me, you can love or hate both, but it is not a same kind of love or hate. Even more so, Jeff Bridges may exist in the real world, I have never met him, so he has a similar existence to me (through TV, cinema, written press, internet...) as fictional characters do and that I know in the same way... I think that I love or hate people who I have really met in a different way than people that I only know through the media, be they real or fictitious...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 03:45
One can love or hate both, and fictional characters can feel as real or sometimes more real than non-fictional characters. Love and hate is a product of our brains, and it's not like we can really get inside other people's heads. We build up those people real or not in our minds in a way. I felt a kind of love born of empathy for Winston Smith (1984). I loved Douglas Adams. Even if he could be abrasive and arrogant, I felt a love for Christopher Hitchens. I can still love dead people, love their memory. They were real to me and still feel real in my memory. I never really knew Adams anymore than Smith, it's just my perception. I feel I know Winston Smith more.

My platonic love does seem to favour the Brits.

Edited by Logan - May 26 2021 at 03:49
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 05:32
BTW, "pain" and "sadness" differ greatly when you think about losing someone you love...

Honestly, If someone that I've never had any connections with (be it even an "online" connection) passes away, that would only make me say: "A sad loss..." to "an ineffably sad loss..." Otherwise I'd feel different degrees of pain... Also, if someone that is dear to me loses someone that is dear to him/her, I again feel pain, but also try to be calm to help my friend/relative.

Same is about an achievement or a happy event of someone... Like appreciating and feeling happy, and sharing the happiness...

Edited by Shadowyzard - May 26 2021 at 05:35
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 13:39
Love is an illusion. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply